Imaginary part of expression too difficult to calculateFinding real and imaginary partsMathematica taking too long to calculate recursive functionComplex Plot with Imaginary Part encoded in colorGetting the real part of a expressionAbout Complex Numbers, Real part and Imaginary part (symbolic calculus)Bug in HypergeometricPFQRegularized?Equivalence of ComplexExpand and assuming real argumentsSummation of complex and complex conjugate - elimination of imaginary partHow to get the real part of a complex expressionRoots of an expression

The English Debate

Did Nintendo change its mind about 68000 SNES?

UK Tourist Visa- Enquiry

Would it be believable to defy demographics in a story?

Can "few" be used as a subject? If so, what is the rule?

TDE Master Key Rotation

How to remove space in section title at KOMA-Script

PTIJ: Which Dr. Seuss books should one obtain?

How are passwords stolen from companies if they only store hashes?

Why is this tree refusing to shed its dead leaves?

Print last inputted byte

Justification failure in beamer enumerate list

Friend wants my recommendation but I don't want to

Why does Surtur say that Thor is Asgard's doom?

CLI: Get information Ubuntu releases

What is the tangent at a sharp point on a curve?

What is it called when someone votes for an option that's not their first choice?

Knife as defense against stray dogs

Homology of the fiber

Imaginary part of expression too difficult to calculate

Is xar preinstalled on macOS?

Is a square zero matrix positive semidefinite?

When did hardware antialiasing start being available?

Turning a hard to access nut?



Imaginary part of expression too difficult to calculate


Finding real and imaginary partsMathematica taking too long to calculate recursive functionComplex Plot with Imaginary Part encoded in colorGetting the real part of a expressionAbout Complex Numbers, Real part and Imaginary part (symbolic calculus)Bug in HypergeometricPFQRegularized?Equivalence of ComplexExpand and assuming real argumentsSummation of complex and complex conjugate - elimination of imaginary partHow to get the real part of a complex expressionRoots of an expression













2












$begingroup$


I am trying to calculate the imaginary part of a long expression. It's a long enough expression that Mathematica "hangs" when you run:



imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];


Is there something I can do that can help speed things up?



Here is my full code:



expression = -((I Ωc (4 γa^4 + 16 Δd^4 - 48 Δd^3 Δp + 48 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 16 Δd Δp^3 + 4 I γa^3 
(3 Δc + 6 Δd - 4 Δp - Δs) - 16 Δd^3 Δs + 32 Δd^2 Δp Δs - 16 Δd Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 +
4 Δd Δp Ωc^2 + 4 Δd Δs Ωc^2 - 4 I dephasing Δd Ωd^2 + 12 Δd^2 Ωd^2 +
4 I dephasing Δp Ωd^2 - 24 Δd Δp Ωd^2 + 12 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 8 Δd Δs Ωd^2 +
8 Δp Δs Ωd^2 - Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 4 Δc^2 (4 Δd^2 - 4 Δd Δp + Ωd^2) -
2 γa^2 (4 Δc^2 + 26 Δd^2 + 10 Δp^2 + 2 Δc (13 Δd - 7 Δp - 2 Δs) +
6 Δp Δs - 2 Δd (18 Δp + 5 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2) + 4 Δc (8 Δd^3 - 4 Δd^2 (4 Δp + Δs) -
(4 Δp + Δs) Ωd^2 + Δd (8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2)) - 2 I γa (24 Δd^3 +
4 Δc^2 (3 Δd - Δp) - 4 Δp^3 - 4 Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 (13 Δp + 4 Δs) + Δp Ωc^2 + Δs Ωc^2 -
2 I dephasing Ωd^2 - 10 Δp Ωd^2 - 3 Δs Ωd^2 + Δc (36 Δd^2 + 8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs -
4 Δd (11 Δp + 3 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 7 Ωd^2) + Δd (32 Δp^2 + 20 Δp Δs - 3 Ωc^2 + 10 Ωd^2))))/
((γa + 2 I Δd) (2 γa^2 - 4 Δc^2 + 4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + 4 Δd Δs - 8 Δp Δs - 4 Δs^2 +
2 I γa (3 Δc + Δd - 3 (Δp + Δs)) + Δc (-4 Δd + 8 (Δp + Δs)) + Ωd^2) (4 I γa^3 (Δc - Δp) -
16 Δc^2 Δd Δp - 16 Δc Δd^2 Δp + 16 Δc^2 Δp^2 + 48 Δc Δd Δp^2 + 16 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 32 Δc Δp^3 -
32 Δd Δp^3 + 16 Δp^4 - 4 Δc Δd Ωc^2 - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωc^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωc^2 -
8 Δp^2 Ωc^2 + Ωc^4 - 4 Δc^2 Ωd^2 - 4 Δc Δd Ωd^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωd^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωd^2 -
8 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 2 Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 2 γa^2 (-4 Δc^2 - 6 Δc Δd + 14 Δc Δp + 6 Δd Δp -
10 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) - 2 I γa (4 Δc^2 (Δd - 3 Δp) - 4 Δd^2 Δp + Δd (20 Δp^2 -
3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + Δc (4 Δd^2 - 24 Δd Δp + 28 Δp^2 - 3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + 4 Δp (-4 Δp^2 +
Ωc^2 + Ωd^2)) + 2 dephasing (2 γa^3 + 2 I γa^2 (2 Δc + 3 Δd - 5 Δp) + γa (-4 Δd^2 -
4 Δc (Δd - 3 Δp) + 20 Δd Δp - 16 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) + 2 I (4 Δd^2 Δp - 8 Δd Δp^2 +
4 Δp^3 - Δp Ωc^2 + Δd Ωd^2 - Δp Ωd^2 + Δc (4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + Ωd^2)))))) /.
γa -> 1, dephasing -> 10^-4;

imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];









share|improve this question











$endgroup$
















    2












    $begingroup$


    I am trying to calculate the imaginary part of a long expression. It's a long enough expression that Mathematica "hangs" when you run:



    imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];


    Is there something I can do that can help speed things up?



    Here is my full code:



    expression = -((I Ωc (4 γa^4 + 16 Δd^4 - 48 Δd^3 Δp + 48 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 16 Δd Δp^3 + 4 I γa^3 
    (3 Δc + 6 Δd - 4 Δp - Δs) - 16 Δd^3 Δs + 32 Δd^2 Δp Δs - 16 Δd Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 +
    4 Δd Δp Ωc^2 + 4 Δd Δs Ωc^2 - 4 I dephasing Δd Ωd^2 + 12 Δd^2 Ωd^2 +
    4 I dephasing Δp Ωd^2 - 24 Δd Δp Ωd^2 + 12 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 8 Δd Δs Ωd^2 +
    8 Δp Δs Ωd^2 - Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 4 Δc^2 (4 Δd^2 - 4 Δd Δp + Ωd^2) -
    2 γa^2 (4 Δc^2 + 26 Δd^2 + 10 Δp^2 + 2 Δc (13 Δd - 7 Δp - 2 Δs) +
    6 Δp Δs - 2 Δd (18 Δp + 5 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2) + 4 Δc (8 Δd^3 - 4 Δd^2 (4 Δp + Δs) -
    (4 Δp + Δs) Ωd^2 + Δd (8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2)) - 2 I γa (24 Δd^3 +
    4 Δc^2 (3 Δd - Δp) - 4 Δp^3 - 4 Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 (13 Δp + 4 Δs) + Δp Ωc^2 + Δs Ωc^2 -
    2 I dephasing Ωd^2 - 10 Δp Ωd^2 - 3 Δs Ωd^2 + Δc (36 Δd^2 + 8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs -
    4 Δd (11 Δp + 3 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 7 Ωd^2) + Δd (32 Δp^2 + 20 Δp Δs - 3 Ωc^2 + 10 Ωd^2))))/
    ((γa + 2 I Δd) (2 γa^2 - 4 Δc^2 + 4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + 4 Δd Δs - 8 Δp Δs - 4 Δs^2 +
    2 I γa (3 Δc + Δd - 3 (Δp + Δs)) + Δc (-4 Δd + 8 (Δp + Δs)) + Ωd^2) (4 I γa^3 (Δc - Δp) -
    16 Δc^2 Δd Δp - 16 Δc Δd^2 Δp + 16 Δc^2 Δp^2 + 48 Δc Δd Δp^2 + 16 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 32 Δc Δp^3 -
    32 Δd Δp^3 + 16 Δp^4 - 4 Δc Δd Ωc^2 - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωc^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωc^2 -
    8 Δp^2 Ωc^2 + Ωc^4 - 4 Δc^2 Ωd^2 - 4 Δc Δd Ωd^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωd^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωd^2 -
    8 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 2 Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 2 γa^2 (-4 Δc^2 - 6 Δc Δd + 14 Δc Δp + 6 Δd Δp -
    10 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) - 2 I γa (4 Δc^2 (Δd - 3 Δp) - 4 Δd^2 Δp + Δd (20 Δp^2 -
    3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + Δc (4 Δd^2 - 24 Δd Δp + 28 Δp^2 - 3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + 4 Δp (-4 Δp^2 +
    Ωc^2 + Ωd^2)) + 2 dephasing (2 γa^3 + 2 I γa^2 (2 Δc + 3 Δd - 5 Δp) + γa (-4 Δd^2 -
    4 Δc (Δd - 3 Δp) + 20 Δd Δp - 16 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) + 2 I (4 Δd^2 Δp - 8 Δd Δp^2 +
    4 Δp^3 - Δp Ωc^2 + Δd Ωd^2 - Δp Ωd^2 + Δc (4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + Ωd^2)))))) /.
    γa -> 1, dephasing -> 10^-4;

    imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];









    share|improve this question











    $endgroup$














      2












      2








      2





      $begingroup$


      I am trying to calculate the imaginary part of a long expression. It's a long enough expression that Mathematica "hangs" when you run:



      imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];


      Is there something I can do that can help speed things up?



      Here is my full code:



      expression = -((I Ωc (4 γa^4 + 16 Δd^4 - 48 Δd^3 Δp + 48 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 16 Δd Δp^3 + 4 I γa^3 
      (3 Δc + 6 Δd - 4 Δp - Δs) - 16 Δd^3 Δs + 32 Δd^2 Δp Δs - 16 Δd Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 +
      4 Δd Δp Ωc^2 + 4 Δd Δs Ωc^2 - 4 I dephasing Δd Ωd^2 + 12 Δd^2 Ωd^2 +
      4 I dephasing Δp Ωd^2 - 24 Δd Δp Ωd^2 + 12 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 8 Δd Δs Ωd^2 +
      8 Δp Δs Ωd^2 - Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 4 Δc^2 (4 Δd^2 - 4 Δd Δp + Ωd^2) -
      2 γa^2 (4 Δc^2 + 26 Δd^2 + 10 Δp^2 + 2 Δc (13 Δd - 7 Δp - 2 Δs) +
      6 Δp Δs - 2 Δd (18 Δp + 5 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2) + 4 Δc (8 Δd^3 - 4 Δd^2 (4 Δp + Δs) -
      (4 Δp + Δs) Ωd^2 + Δd (8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2)) - 2 I γa (24 Δd^3 +
      4 Δc^2 (3 Δd - Δp) - 4 Δp^3 - 4 Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 (13 Δp + 4 Δs) + Δp Ωc^2 + Δs Ωc^2 -
      2 I dephasing Ωd^2 - 10 Δp Ωd^2 - 3 Δs Ωd^2 + Δc (36 Δd^2 + 8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs -
      4 Δd (11 Δp + 3 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 7 Ωd^2) + Δd (32 Δp^2 + 20 Δp Δs - 3 Ωc^2 + 10 Ωd^2))))/
      ((γa + 2 I Δd) (2 γa^2 - 4 Δc^2 + 4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + 4 Δd Δs - 8 Δp Δs - 4 Δs^2 +
      2 I γa (3 Δc + Δd - 3 (Δp + Δs)) + Δc (-4 Δd + 8 (Δp + Δs)) + Ωd^2) (4 I γa^3 (Δc - Δp) -
      16 Δc^2 Δd Δp - 16 Δc Δd^2 Δp + 16 Δc^2 Δp^2 + 48 Δc Δd Δp^2 + 16 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 32 Δc Δp^3 -
      32 Δd Δp^3 + 16 Δp^4 - 4 Δc Δd Ωc^2 - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωc^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωc^2 -
      8 Δp^2 Ωc^2 + Ωc^4 - 4 Δc^2 Ωd^2 - 4 Δc Δd Ωd^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωd^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωd^2 -
      8 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 2 Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 2 γa^2 (-4 Δc^2 - 6 Δc Δd + 14 Δc Δp + 6 Δd Δp -
      10 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) - 2 I γa (4 Δc^2 (Δd - 3 Δp) - 4 Δd^2 Δp + Δd (20 Δp^2 -
      3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + Δc (4 Δd^2 - 24 Δd Δp + 28 Δp^2 - 3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + 4 Δp (-4 Δp^2 +
      Ωc^2 + Ωd^2)) + 2 dephasing (2 γa^3 + 2 I γa^2 (2 Δc + 3 Δd - 5 Δp) + γa (-4 Δd^2 -
      4 Δc (Δd - 3 Δp) + 20 Δd Δp - 16 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) + 2 I (4 Δd^2 Δp - 8 Δd Δp^2 +
      4 Δp^3 - Δp Ωc^2 + Δd Ωd^2 - Δp Ωd^2 + Δc (4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + Ωd^2)))))) /.
      γa -> 1, dephasing -> 10^-4;

      imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];









      share|improve this question











      $endgroup$




      I am trying to calculate the imaginary part of a long expression. It's a long enough expression that Mathematica "hangs" when you run:



      imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];


      Is there something I can do that can help speed things up?



      Here is my full code:



      expression = -((I Ωc (4 γa^4 + 16 Δd^4 - 48 Δd^3 Δp + 48 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 16 Δd Δp^3 + 4 I γa^3 
      (3 Δc + 6 Δd - 4 Δp - Δs) - 16 Δd^3 Δs + 32 Δd^2 Δp Δs - 16 Δd Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 +
      4 Δd Δp Ωc^2 + 4 Δd Δs Ωc^2 - 4 I dephasing Δd Ωd^2 + 12 Δd^2 Ωd^2 +
      4 I dephasing Δp Ωd^2 - 24 Δd Δp Ωd^2 + 12 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 8 Δd Δs Ωd^2 +
      8 Δp Δs Ωd^2 - Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 4 Δc^2 (4 Δd^2 - 4 Δd Δp + Ωd^2) -
      2 γa^2 (4 Δc^2 + 26 Δd^2 + 10 Δp^2 + 2 Δc (13 Δd - 7 Δp - 2 Δs) +
      6 Δp Δs - 2 Δd (18 Δp + 5 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2) + 4 Δc (8 Δd^3 - 4 Δd^2 (4 Δp + Δs) -
      (4 Δp + Δs) Ωd^2 + Δd (8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs - Ωc^2 + 4 Ωd^2)) - 2 I γa (24 Δd^3 +
      4 Δc^2 (3 Δd - Δp) - 4 Δp^3 - 4 Δp^2 Δs - 4 Δd^2 (13 Δp + 4 Δs) + Δp Ωc^2 + Δs Ωc^2 -
      2 I dephasing Ωd^2 - 10 Δp Ωd^2 - 3 Δs Ωd^2 + Δc (36 Δd^2 + 8 Δp^2 + 4 Δp Δs -
      4 Δd (11 Δp + 3 Δs) - Ωc^2 + 7 Ωd^2) + Δd (32 Δp^2 + 20 Δp Δs - 3 Ωc^2 + 10 Ωd^2))))/
      ((γa + 2 I Δd) (2 γa^2 - 4 Δc^2 + 4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + 4 Δd Δs - 8 Δp Δs - 4 Δs^2 +
      2 I γa (3 Δc + Δd - 3 (Δp + Δs)) + Δc (-4 Δd + 8 (Δp + Δs)) + Ωd^2) (4 I γa^3 (Δc - Δp) -
      16 Δc^2 Δd Δp - 16 Δc Δd^2 Δp + 16 Δc^2 Δp^2 + 48 Δc Δd Δp^2 + 16 Δd^2 Δp^2 - 32 Δc Δp^3 -
      32 Δd Δp^3 + 16 Δp^4 - 4 Δc Δd Ωc^2 - 4 Δd^2 Ωc^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωc^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωc^2 -
      8 Δp^2 Ωc^2 + Ωc^4 - 4 Δc^2 Ωd^2 - 4 Δc Δd Ωd^2 + 8 Δc Δp Ωd^2 + 8 Δd Δp Ωd^2 -
      8 Δp^2 Ωd^2 - 2 Ωc^2 Ωd^2 + Ωd^4 + 2 γa^2 (-4 Δc^2 - 6 Δc Δd + 14 Δc Δp + 6 Δd Δp -
      10 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) - 2 I γa (4 Δc^2 (Δd - 3 Δp) - 4 Δd^2 Δp + Δd (20 Δp^2 -
      3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + Δc (4 Δd^2 - 24 Δd Δp + 28 Δp^2 - 3 Ωc^2 - Ωd^2) + 4 Δp (-4 Δp^2 +
      Ωc^2 + Ωd^2)) + 2 dephasing (2 γa^3 + 2 I γa^2 (2 Δc + 3 Δd - 5 Δp) + γa (-4 Δd^2 -
      4 Δc (Δd - 3 Δp) + 20 Δd Δp - 16 Δp^2 + Ωc^2 + Ωd^2) + 2 I (4 Δd^2 Δp - 8 Δd Δp^2 +
      4 Δp^3 - Δp Ωc^2 + Δd Ωd^2 - Δp Ωd^2 + Δc (4 Δd Δp - 4 Δp^2 + Ωd^2)))))) /.
      γa -> 1, dephasing -> 10^-4;

      imFUN2 = ComplexExpand[Im[expression]];






      performance-tuning simplifying-expressions complex






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited 3 hours ago









      MarcoB

      37.5k556113




      37.5k556113










      asked 4 hours ago









      Steven SagonaSteven Sagona

      1866




      1866




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          5












          $begingroup$

          Not an elegant solution but it works



          num = Numerator[expression];
          den = Denominator[expression];
          reNum, imNum = ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]];
          reDen, imDen = ComplexExpand[ReIm[den]];
          (imNum reDen - reNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)


          I think the problem is the denominator which is huge but I am surprised that my approach is not included in ComplexExpand






          share|improve this answer









          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            This works for me, thanks. It is interesting though that you call ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]] inside your function. I guess I should always make sure I don't have fractions-inside-fractions before calling this. Also for completion it might be helpful for others to know that the real part is: (reNum reDen + imNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)
            $endgroup$
            – Steven Sagona
            3 hours ago










          Your Answer





          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
          StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
          StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
          );
          );
          , "mathjax-editing");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "387"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: false,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: null,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmathematica.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f193509%2fimaginary-part-of-expression-too-difficult-to-calculate%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          5












          $begingroup$

          Not an elegant solution but it works



          num = Numerator[expression];
          den = Denominator[expression];
          reNum, imNum = ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]];
          reDen, imDen = ComplexExpand[ReIm[den]];
          (imNum reDen - reNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)


          I think the problem is the denominator which is huge but I am surprised that my approach is not included in ComplexExpand






          share|improve this answer









          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            This works for me, thanks. It is interesting though that you call ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]] inside your function. I guess I should always make sure I don't have fractions-inside-fractions before calling this. Also for completion it might be helpful for others to know that the real part is: (reNum reDen + imNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)
            $endgroup$
            – Steven Sagona
            3 hours ago















          5












          $begingroup$

          Not an elegant solution but it works



          num = Numerator[expression];
          den = Denominator[expression];
          reNum, imNum = ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]];
          reDen, imDen = ComplexExpand[ReIm[den]];
          (imNum reDen - reNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)


          I think the problem is the denominator which is huge but I am surprised that my approach is not included in ComplexExpand






          share|improve this answer









          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            This works for me, thanks. It is interesting though that you call ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]] inside your function. I guess I should always make sure I don't have fractions-inside-fractions before calling this. Also for completion it might be helpful for others to know that the real part is: (reNum reDen + imNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)
            $endgroup$
            – Steven Sagona
            3 hours ago













          5












          5








          5





          $begingroup$

          Not an elegant solution but it works



          num = Numerator[expression];
          den = Denominator[expression];
          reNum, imNum = ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]];
          reDen, imDen = ComplexExpand[ReIm[den]];
          (imNum reDen - reNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)


          I think the problem is the denominator which is huge but I am surprised that my approach is not included in ComplexExpand






          share|improve this answer









          $endgroup$



          Not an elegant solution but it works



          num = Numerator[expression];
          den = Denominator[expression];
          reNum, imNum = ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]];
          reDen, imDen = ComplexExpand[ReIm[den]];
          (imNum reDen - reNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)


          I think the problem is the denominator which is huge but I am surprised that my approach is not included in ComplexExpand







          share|improve this answer












          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer










          answered 3 hours ago









          HughHugh

          6,58421945




          6,58421945











          • $begingroup$
            This works for me, thanks. It is interesting though that you call ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]] inside your function. I guess I should always make sure I don't have fractions-inside-fractions before calling this. Also for completion it might be helpful for others to know that the real part is: (reNum reDen + imNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)
            $endgroup$
            – Steven Sagona
            3 hours ago
















          • $begingroup$
            This works for me, thanks. It is interesting though that you call ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]] inside your function. I guess I should always make sure I don't have fractions-inside-fractions before calling this. Also for completion it might be helpful for others to know that the real part is: (reNum reDen + imNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)
            $endgroup$
            – Steven Sagona
            3 hours ago















          $begingroup$
          This works for me, thanks. It is interesting though that you call ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]] inside your function. I guess I should always make sure I don't have fractions-inside-fractions before calling this. Also for completion it might be helpful for others to know that the real part is: (reNum reDen + imNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)
          $endgroup$
          – Steven Sagona
          3 hours ago




          $begingroup$
          This works for me, thanks. It is interesting though that you call ComplexExpand[ReIm[num]] inside your function. I guess I should always make sure I don't have fractions-inside-fractions before calling this. Also for completion it might be helpful for others to know that the real part is: (reNum reDen + imNum imDen)/(reDen^2 + imDen^2)
          $endgroup$
          – Steven Sagona
          3 hours ago

















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematica Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmathematica.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f193509%2fimaginary-part-of-expression-too-difficult-to-calculate%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

          When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e

          Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee