What's the polite way to say “I need to urinate”?Polite way to ask about paycheckMake a request in a polite mannerMost polite, not too formal way to remind one's elder of something?How to ask “If you have any problem then ask me” in polite mannerPolite way to askA more polite way of saying “the world is going to sh--”Polite way of asking questionsHow to say “You may return to your seat” in polite wayIs this polite?What's the most polite and native way to say “no” in this scenario?

Is there a way to generate a list of distinct numbers such that no two subsets ever have an equal sum?

Your bread will be buttered on both sides

Multiple options vs single option UI

Why do games have consumables?

How can I practically buy stocks?

Do I have an "anti-research" personality?

basic difference between canonical isomorphism and isomorphims

Check if a string is entirely made of the same substring

How does Captain America channel this power?

Critique of timeline aesthetic

Why didn't the Space Shuttle bounce back into space as many times as possible so as to lose a lot of kinetic energy up there?

Two field separators (colon and space) in awk

Is it idiomatic to construct against `this`

What does the integral of a function times a function of a random variable represent, conceptually?

Don’t seats that recline flat defeat the purpose of having seatbelts?

'It addicted me, with one taste.' Can 'addict' be used transitively?

How can I print the prosodic symbols in LaTeX?

Is the claim "Employers won't employ people with no 'social media presence'" realistic?

Checks user level and limit the data before saving it to mongoDB

What causes platform events to fail to be published and should I cater for failed platform event creations?

On The Origin of Dissonant Chords

Can someone publish a story that happened to you?

Can I criticise the more senior developers around me for not writing clean code?

How did Captain America manage to do this?



What's the polite way to say “I need to urinate”?


Polite way to ask about paycheckMake a request in a polite mannerMost polite, not too formal way to remind one's elder of something?How to ask “If you have any problem then ask me” in polite mannerPolite way to askA more polite way of saying “the world is going to sh--”Polite way of asking questionsHow to say “You may return to your seat” in polite wayIs this polite?What's the most polite and native way to say “no” in this scenario?






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








2















What's the polite way in the UK to say "I need to urinate" (both for men and for women)? Or maybe there's no problem with that sentence?










share|improve this question






























    2















    What's the polite way in the UK to say "I need to urinate" (both for men and for women)? Or maybe there's no problem with that sentence?










    share|improve this question


























      2












      2








      2








      What's the polite way in the UK to say "I need to urinate" (both for men and for women)? Or maybe there's no problem with that sentence?










      share|improve this question
















      What's the polite way in the UK to say "I need to urinate" (both for men and for women)? Or maybe there's no problem with that sentence?







      phrase-request politeness






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited 1 hour ago









      Glorfindel

      7,205113442




      7,205113442










      asked 1 hour ago









      Scarcely PonderScarcely Ponder

      12.2k75206367




      12.2k75206367




















          4 Answers
          4






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          4















          (Excuse me,) I need to use the bathroom.




          In the United States, you can substitute restroom for bathroom, and another option would be toilet.



          It's not limited to urination:




          (Euphemism) to urinate or defecate. May I be excused to use the bathroom? I have to use the toilet.




          (source: The Free Dictionary)



          but what you're doing there exactly is nobody's business but your own.






          share|improve this answer

























          • @MichaelHarvey thank you. I actually thought it was spelled that way, but trusted this dictionary page to be right...

            – Glorfindel
            21 mins ago


















          1














          In the UK you probably want to indicate you need the WC. That's "water closet." Depending on the exact cultural group you are dealing with it may be bathroom, washroom, toilet, restroom, or a couple other things. But nearly everybody in the UK will understand WC. Especially if you are in some kind of public place like the subway or a theater or cinema or pub or such places.



          It's definitely cultural. I've learned not to try to ask for a "washroom" in the USA, but to be sure to say "bathroom" even when it's a public facility with absolutely no bathtubs.






          share|improve this answer






























            0














            The right way to say this in the UK would be "I need to go to the toilet" or just "I need the toilet".



            Contrary to puppetsock, the word "WC" is hardly used these days, and younger people especially would not know what it meant. You might use it to excuse yourself from an audience with the Queen, but for everyone else you should say "toilet".



            "Bathroom" would be understood, but you might get some sarcastic comments of "why, do you need a bath?"





            share






























              0














              I need to...
              ...see a man about a dog.
              ...shake the dew off the lily.
              ...condense some fog.
              ...tinkle.
              ...pee.





              share








              New contributor




              Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
              Check out our Code of Conduct.




















                Your Answer








                StackExchange.ready(function()
                var channelOptions =
                tags: "".split(" "),
                id: "481"
                ;
                initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

                StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
                // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
                if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
                StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
                createEditor();
                );

                else
                createEditor();

                );

                function createEditor()
                StackExchange.prepareEditor(
                heartbeatType: 'answer',
                autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
                convertImagesToLinks: false,
                noModals: true,
                showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
                reputationToPostImages: null,
                bindNavPrevention: true,
                postfix: "",
                imageUploader:
                brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
                contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
                allowUrls: true
                ,
                noCode: true, onDemand: true,
                discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
                ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
                );



                );













                draft saved

                draft discarded


















                StackExchange.ready(
                function ()
                StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f208225%2fwhats-the-polite-way-to-say-i-need-to-urinate%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                );

                Post as a guest















                Required, but never shown

























                4 Answers
                4






                active

                oldest

                votes








                4 Answers
                4






                active

                oldest

                votes









                active

                oldest

                votes






                active

                oldest

                votes









                4















                (Excuse me,) I need to use the bathroom.




                In the United States, you can substitute restroom for bathroom, and another option would be toilet.



                It's not limited to urination:




                (Euphemism) to urinate or defecate. May I be excused to use the bathroom? I have to use the toilet.




                (source: The Free Dictionary)



                but what you're doing there exactly is nobody's business but your own.






                share|improve this answer

























                • @MichaelHarvey thank you. I actually thought it was spelled that way, but trusted this dictionary page to be right...

                  – Glorfindel
                  21 mins ago















                4















                (Excuse me,) I need to use the bathroom.




                In the United States, you can substitute restroom for bathroom, and another option would be toilet.



                It's not limited to urination:




                (Euphemism) to urinate or defecate. May I be excused to use the bathroom? I have to use the toilet.




                (source: The Free Dictionary)



                but what you're doing there exactly is nobody's business but your own.






                share|improve this answer

























                • @MichaelHarvey thank you. I actually thought it was spelled that way, but trusted this dictionary page to be right...

                  – Glorfindel
                  21 mins ago













                4












                4








                4








                (Excuse me,) I need to use the bathroom.




                In the United States, you can substitute restroom for bathroom, and another option would be toilet.



                It's not limited to urination:




                (Euphemism) to urinate or defecate. May I be excused to use the bathroom? I have to use the toilet.




                (source: The Free Dictionary)



                but what you're doing there exactly is nobody's business but your own.






                share|improve this answer
















                (Excuse me,) I need to use the bathroom.




                In the United States, you can substitute restroom for bathroom, and another option would be toilet.



                It's not limited to urination:




                (Euphemism) to urinate or defecate. May I be excused to use the bathroom? I have to use the toilet.




                (source: The Free Dictionary)



                but what you're doing there exactly is nobody's business but your own.







                share|improve this answer














                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer








                edited 52 mins ago









                Michael Harvey

                19.6k12442




                19.6k12442










                answered 1 hour ago









                GlorfindelGlorfindel

                7,205113442




                7,205113442












                • @MichaelHarvey thank you. I actually thought it was spelled that way, but trusted this dictionary page to be right...

                  – Glorfindel
                  21 mins ago

















                • @MichaelHarvey thank you. I actually thought it was spelled that way, but trusted this dictionary page to be right...

                  – Glorfindel
                  21 mins ago
















                @MichaelHarvey thank you. I actually thought it was spelled that way, but trusted this dictionary page to be right...

                – Glorfindel
                21 mins ago





                @MichaelHarvey thank you. I actually thought it was spelled that way, but trusted this dictionary page to be right...

                – Glorfindel
                21 mins ago













                1














                In the UK you probably want to indicate you need the WC. That's "water closet." Depending on the exact cultural group you are dealing with it may be bathroom, washroom, toilet, restroom, or a couple other things. But nearly everybody in the UK will understand WC. Especially if you are in some kind of public place like the subway or a theater or cinema or pub or such places.



                It's definitely cultural. I've learned not to try to ask for a "washroom" in the USA, but to be sure to say "bathroom" even when it's a public facility with absolutely no bathtubs.






                share|improve this answer



























                  1














                  In the UK you probably want to indicate you need the WC. That's "water closet." Depending on the exact cultural group you are dealing with it may be bathroom, washroom, toilet, restroom, or a couple other things. But nearly everybody in the UK will understand WC. Especially if you are in some kind of public place like the subway or a theater or cinema or pub or such places.



                  It's definitely cultural. I've learned not to try to ask for a "washroom" in the USA, but to be sure to say "bathroom" even when it's a public facility with absolutely no bathtubs.






                  share|improve this answer

























                    1












                    1








                    1







                    In the UK you probably want to indicate you need the WC. That's "water closet." Depending on the exact cultural group you are dealing with it may be bathroom, washroom, toilet, restroom, or a couple other things. But nearly everybody in the UK will understand WC. Especially if you are in some kind of public place like the subway or a theater or cinema or pub or such places.



                    It's definitely cultural. I've learned not to try to ask for a "washroom" in the USA, but to be sure to say "bathroom" even when it's a public facility with absolutely no bathtubs.






                    share|improve this answer













                    In the UK you probably want to indicate you need the WC. That's "water closet." Depending on the exact cultural group you are dealing with it may be bathroom, washroom, toilet, restroom, or a couple other things. But nearly everybody in the UK will understand WC. Especially if you are in some kind of public place like the subway or a theater or cinema or pub or such places.



                    It's definitely cultural. I've learned not to try to ask for a "washroom" in the USA, but to be sure to say "bathroom" even when it's a public facility with absolutely no bathtubs.







                    share|improve this answer












                    share|improve this answer



                    share|improve this answer










                    answered 1 hour ago









                    puppetsockpuppetsock

                    2592




                    2592





















                        0














                        The right way to say this in the UK would be "I need to go to the toilet" or just "I need the toilet".



                        Contrary to puppetsock, the word "WC" is hardly used these days, and younger people especially would not know what it meant. You might use it to excuse yourself from an audience with the Queen, but for everyone else you should say "toilet".



                        "Bathroom" would be understood, but you might get some sarcastic comments of "why, do you need a bath?"





                        share



























                          0














                          The right way to say this in the UK would be "I need to go to the toilet" or just "I need the toilet".



                          Contrary to puppetsock, the word "WC" is hardly used these days, and younger people especially would not know what it meant. You might use it to excuse yourself from an audience with the Queen, but for everyone else you should say "toilet".



                          "Bathroom" would be understood, but you might get some sarcastic comments of "why, do you need a bath?"





                          share

























                            0












                            0








                            0







                            The right way to say this in the UK would be "I need to go to the toilet" or just "I need the toilet".



                            Contrary to puppetsock, the word "WC" is hardly used these days, and younger people especially would not know what it meant. You might use it to excuse yourself from an audience with the Queen, but for everyone else you should say "toilet".



                            "Bathroom" would be understood, but you might get some sarcastic comments of "why, do you need a bath?"





                            share













                            The right way to say this in the UK would be "I need to go to the toilet" or just "I need the toilet".



                            Contrary to puppetsock, the word "WC" is hardly used these days, and younger people especially would not know what it meant. You might use it to excuse yourself from an audience with the Queen, but for everyone else you should say "toilet".



                            "Bathroom" would be understood, but you might get some sarcastic comments of "why, do you need a bath?"






                            share











                            share


                            share










                            answered 7 mins ago









                            Daniel RosemanDaniel Roseman

                            96759




                            96759





















                                0














                                I need to...
                                ...see a man about a dog.
                                ...shake the dew off the lily.
                                ...condense some fog.
                                ...tinkle.
                                ...pee.





                                share








                                New contributor




                                Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                Check out our Code of Conduct.
























                                  0














                                  I need to...
                                  ...see a man about a dog.
                                  ...shake the dew off the lily.
                                  ...condense some fog.
                                  ...tinkle.
                                  ...pee.





                                  share








                                  New contributor




                                  Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                  Check out our Code of Conduct.






















                                    0












                                    0








                                    0







                                    I need to...
                                    ...see a man about a dog.
                                    ...shake the dew off the lily.
                                    ...condense some fog.
                                    ...tinkle.
                                    ...pee.





                                    share








                                    New contributor




                                    Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                    Check out our Code of Conduct.










                                    I need to...
                                    ...see a man about a dog.
                                    ...shake the dew off the lily.
                                    ...condense some fog.
                                    ...tinkle.
                                    ...pee.






                                    share








                                    New contributor




                                    Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                    Check out our Code of Conduct.








                                    share


                                    share






                                    New contributor




                                    Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                    Check out our Code of Conduct.









                                    answered 57 secs ago









                                    Devon McCormickDevon McCormick

                                    1




                                    1




                                    New contributor




                                    Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                    Check out our Code of Conduct.





                                    New contributor





                                    Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                    Check out our Code of Conduct.






                                    Devon McCormick is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
                                    Check out our Code of Conduct.



























                                        draft saved

                                        draft discarded
















































                                        Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language Learners Stack Exchange!


                                        • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                                        But avoid …


                                        • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                                        • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                                        To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                                        draft saved


                                        draft discarded














                                        StackExchange.ready(
                                        function ()
                                        StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f208225%2fwhats-the-polite-way-to-say-i-need-to-urinate%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                                        );

                                        Post as a guest















                                        Required, but never shown





















































                                        Required, but never shown














                                        Required, but never shown












                                        Required, but never shown







                                        Required, but never shown

































                                        Required, but never shown














                                        Required, but never shown












                                        Required, but never shown







                                        Required, but never shown







                                        Popular posts from this blog

                                        Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

                                        Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

                                        When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e