Eliminate empty elements from a list with a specific patternList operation on specific elementsSelect elements from list with given headSelecting elements from a list with nullsReplace empty list elements with patternReplacing Non-Constant Elements from List with Patternselecting elements from a list with two numbersRemoving elements of a specific length from a listEliminate types of elements from the listListPlot3D with empty matrix elementsDelete a large pattern from one list

How would photo IDs work for shapeshifters?

How can I fix this gap between bookcases I made?

How to create a consistant feel for character names in a fantasy setting?

Pristine Bit Checking

Can a planet have a different gravitational pull depending on its location in orbit around its sun?

LM317 - Calculate dissipation due to voltage drop

How to move the player while also allowing forces to affect it

Does the average primeness of natural numbers tend to zero?

Denied boarding due to overcrowding, Sparpreis ticket. What are my rights?

How can I add custom success page

What do you call something that goes against the spirit of the law, but is legal when interpreting the law to the letter?

Information to fellow intern about hiring?

Is this homebrew feat, Beast of Burden, balanced?

Can I legally use front facing blue light in the UK?

Is it possible to make sharp wind that can cut stuff from afar?

Shall I use personal or official e-mail account when registering to external websites for work purpose?

How to answer pointed "are you quitting" questioning when I don't want them to suspect

I see my dog run

Mapping arrows in commutative diagrams

Some basic questions on halt and move in Turing machines

Lied on resume at previous job

How do you conduct xenoanthropology after first contact?

When blogging recipes, how can I support both readers who want the narrative/journey and ones who want the printer-friendly recipe?

Check if two datetimes are between two others



Eliminate empty elements from a list with a specific pattern


List operation on specific elementsSelect elements from list with given headSelecting elements from a list with nullsReplace empty list elements with patternReplacing Non-Constant Elements from List with Patternselecting elements from a list with two numbersRemoving elements of a specific length from a listEliminate types of elements from the listListPlot3D with empty matrix elementsDelete a large pattern from one list













2












$begingroup$


I am really new in this patterns part of Mathematica. Basically what I need to do is eliminate null elements from a list but that has a specific name before the empty element. For example, my list is:



list="a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2"


and I need to obtain



list="a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"


The list was created using



list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> 
ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]],
i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1]


and for some values it writtes because there is not a value equal to $0.5$. Until now I have been able to do it term by term as



list//."a11-b11-"-> Sequence[]


but the real list contains a lot of elements and could be almost impossible to do it that way to solve the problem. I think my main problem is that I am not sure how to specify the pattern search (something like " *-name " in gnu/linux). Is there a wise way to do this?. Thanks in advance.










share|improve this question











$endgroup$











  • $begingroup$
    Have a look at DeleteCases and StringMatchQ or StringContainsQ.
    $endgroup$
    – b.gatessucks
    5 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    I think it would be more efficient to first filter out the unwanted cases in the int function, and then construct strings only from the remaining ones.
    $endgroup$
    – Roman
    4 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    @b.gatessucks Thank you, I will look those option in Mathematica.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @Roman You are right, but I am new ih this cases stuf in Mathematica and I did no know how to do it when I created the list.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago















2












$begingroup$


I am really new in this patterns part of Mathematica. Basically what I need to do is eliminate null elements from a list but that has a specific name before the empty element. For example, my list is:



list="a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2"


and I need to obtain



list="a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"


The list was created using



list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> 
ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]],
i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1]


and for some values it writtes because there is not a value equal to $0.5$. Until now I have been able to do it term by term as



list//."a11-b11-"-> Sequence[]


but the real list contains a lot of elements and could be almost impossible to do it that way to solve the problem. I think my main problem is that I am not sure how to specify the pattern search (something like " *-name " in gnu/linux). Is there a wise way to do this?. Thanks in advance.










share|improve this question











$endgroup$











  • $begingroup$
    Have a look at DeleteCases and StringMatchQ or StringContainsQ.
    $endgroup$
    – b.gatessucks
    5 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    I think it would be more efficient to first filter out the unwanted cases in the int function, and then construct strings only from the remaining ones.
    $endgroup$
    – Roman
    4 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    @b.gatessucks Thank you, I will look those option in Mathematica.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @Roman You are right, but I am new ih this cases stuf in Mathematica and I did no know how to do it when I created the list.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago













2












2








2


1



$begingroup$


I am really new in this patterns part of Mathematica. Basically what I need to do is eliminate null elements from a list but that has a specific name before the empty element. For example, my list is:



list="a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2"


and I need to obtain



list="a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"


The list was created using



list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> 
ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]],
i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1]


and for some values it writtes because there is not a value equal to $0.5$. Until now I have been able to do it term by term as



list//."a11-b11-"-> Sequence[]


but the real list contains a lot of elements and could be almost impossible to do it that way to solve the problem. I think my main problem is that I am not sure how to specify the pattern search (something like " *-name " in gnu/linux). Is there a wise way to do this?. Thanks in advance.










share|improve this question











$endgroup$




I am really new in this patterns part of Mathematica. Basically what I need to do is eliminate null elements from a list but that has a specific name before the empty element. For example, my list is:



list="a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2"


and I need to obtain



list="a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"


The list was created using



list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> 
ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]],
i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1]


and for some values it writtes because there is not a value equal to $0.5$. Until now I have been able to do it term by term as



list//."a11-b11-"-> Sequence[]


but the real list contains a lot of elements and could be almost impossible to do it that way to solve the problem. I think my main problem is that I am not sure how to specify the pattern search (something like " *-name " in gnu/linux). Is there a wise way to do this?. Thanks in advance.







list-manipulation filtering






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 8 mins ago









Roman

4,62511128




4,62511128










asked 5 hours ago









morsmors

446




446











  • $begingroup$
    Have a look at DeleteCases and StringMatchQ or StringContainsQ.
    $endgroup$
    – b.gatessucks
    5 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    I think it would be more efficient to first filter out the unwanted cases in the int function, and then construct strings only from the remaining ones.
    $endgroup$
    – Roman
    4 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    @b.gatessucks Thank you, I will look those option in Mathematica.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @Roman You are right, but I am new ih this cases stuf in Mathematica and I did no know how to do it when I created the list.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago
















  • $begingroup$
    Have a look at DeleteCases and StringMatchQ or StringContainsQ.
    $endgroup$
    – b.gatessucks
    5 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    I think it would be more efficient to first filter out the unwanted cases in the int function, and then construct strings only from the remaining ones.
    $endgroup$
    – Roman
    4 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    @b.gatessucks Thank you, I will look those option in Mathematica.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @Roman You are right, but I am new ih this cases stuf in Mathematica and I did no know how to do it when I created the list.
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    4 hours ago















$begingroup$
Have a look at DeleteCases and StringMatchQ or StringContainsQ.
$endgroup$
– b.gatessucks
5 hours ago




$begingroup$
Have a look at DeleteCases and StringMatchQ or StringContainsQ.
$endgroup$
– b.gatessucks
5 hours ago












$begingroup$
I think it would be more efficient to first filter out the unwanted cases in the int function, and then construct strings only from the remaining ones.
$endgroup$
– Roman
4 hours ago





$begingroup$
I think it would be more efficient to first filter out the unwanted cases in the int function, and then construct strings only from the remaining ones.
$endgroup$
– Roman
4 hours ago













$begingroup$
@b.gatessucks Thank you, I will look those option in Mathematica.
$endgroup$
– mors
4 hours ago




$begingroup$
@b.gatessucks Thank you, I will look those option in Mathematica.
$endgroup$
– mors
4 hours ago












$begingroup$
@Roman You are right, but I am new ih this cases stuf in Mathematica and I did no know how to do it when I created the list.
$endgroup$
– mors
4 hours ago




$begingroup$
@Roman You are right, but I am new ih this cases stuf in Mathematica and I did no know how to do it when I created the list.
$endgroup$
– mors
4 hours ago










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















5












$begingroup$

If the list elements are strings, as it appears after your comment, you can use Select with a string pattern:



list = "a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2";
Select[list, Not@*StringMatchQ[__ ~~ ""]]



"a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"




You could also Select before making the strings:



L = DeleteCases[
Flatten[
Table[
namea[[i]], nameb[[j]], Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1],
i, 4, j, 4],
1],
_, _, ];


and then make these into strings:



StringRiffle[ToString /@ #, "-"] & /@ L


I can't check this because you didn't supply functioning code.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thank you, I forgot to specify the way the list is created. I create the list as 'list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]], i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1] '
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    5 hours ago












Your Answer





StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
);
);
, "mathjax-editing");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "387"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmathematica.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f194815%2feliminate-empty-elements-from-a-list-with-a-specific-pattern%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









5












$begingroup$

If the list elements are strings, as it appears after your comment, you can use Select with a string pattern:



list = "a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2";
Select[list, Not@*StringMatchQ[__ ~~ ""]]



"a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"




You could also Select before making the strings:



L = DeleteCases[
Flatten[
Table[
namea[[i]], nameb[[j]], Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1],
i, 4, j, 4],
1],
_, _, ];


and then make these into strings:



StringRiffle[ToString /@ #, "-"] & /@ L


I can't check this because you didn't supply functioning code.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thank you, I forgot to specify the way the list is created. I create the list as 'list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]], i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1] '
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    5 hours ago
















5












$begingroup$

If the list elements are strings, as it appears after your comment, you can use Select with a string pattern:



list = "a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2";
Select[list, Not@*StringMatchQ[__ ~~ ""]]



"a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"




You could also Select before making the strings:



L = DeleteCases[
Flatten[
Table[
namea[[i]], nameb[[j]], Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1],
i, 4, j, 4],
1],
_, _, ];


and then make these into strings:



StringRiffle[ToString /@ #, "-"] & /@ L


I can't check this because you didn't supply functioning code.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thank you, I forgot to specify the way the list is created. I create the list as 'list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]], i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1] '
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    5 hours ago














5












5








5





$begingroup$

If the list elements are strings, as it appears after your comment, you can use Select with a string pattern:



list = "a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2";
Select[list, Not@*StringMatchQ[__ ~~ ""]]



"a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"




You could also Select before making the strings:



L = DeleteCases[
Flatten[
Table[
namea[[i]], nameb[[j]], Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1],
i, 4, j, 4],
1],
_, _, ];


and then make these into strings:



StringRiffle[ToString /@ #, "-"] & /@ L


I can't check this because you didn't supply functioning code.






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$



If the list elements are strings, as it appears after your comment, you can use Select with a string pattern:



list = "a11-b11-", "a12-b11-1", "c11-d22-", "d33-c22-2";
Select[list, Not@*StringMatchQ[__ ~~ ""]]



"a12-b11-1", "d33-c22-2"




You could also Select before making the strings:



L = DeleteCases[
Flatten[
Table[
namea[[i]], nameb[[j]], Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1],
i, 4, j, 4],
1],
_, _, ];


and then make these into strings:



StringRiffle[ToString /@ #, "-"] & /@ L


I can't check this because you didn't supply functioning code.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited 1 hour ago

























answered 5 hours ago









RomanRoman

4,62511128




4,62511128











  • $begingroup$
    Thank you, I forgot to specify the way the list is created. I create the list as 'list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]], i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1] '
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    5 hours ago

















  • $begingroup$
    Thank you, I forgot to specify the way the list is created. I create the list as 'list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]], i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1] '
    $endgroup$
    – mors
    5 hours ago
















$begingroup$
Thank you, I forgot to specify the way the list is created. I create the list as 'list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]], i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1] '
$endgroup$
– mors
5 hours ago





$begingroup$
Thank you, I forgot to specify the way the list is created. I create the list as 'list = Flatten[Table[ ToString[namea[[i]] <> "-" <> nameb[[j]] <> "-" <> ToString[ Select[int[i, j, 0.5], Abs[#] == 0.5 &, 1] ]], i, 1, 4, j, 1, 4], 1] '
$endgroup$
– mors
5 hours ago


















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematica Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmathematica.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f194815%2feliminate-empty-elements-from-a-list-with-a-specific-pattern%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e