Is “plugging out” electronic devices an American expression?American pronunciation of constituentAmerican Accent or American Intonation?Emphatic constructions in American EnglishAmerican English Idiom “Out of this world” and Sentence StressBritish “Packet” = American “X?”school lunch in American Englishsubtlety in English expressionlecture theater- an American expression?American equivalent of British “takeaway”Is this text American or British English? Please, I need the American version

How did the USSR manage to innovate in an environment characterized by government censorship and high bureaucracy?

When blogging recipes, how can I support both readers who want the narrative/journey and ones who want the printer-friendly recipe?

New order #4: World

What do the Banks children have against barley water?

Why airport relocation isn't done gradually?

Does a dangling wire really electrocute me if I'm standing in water?

Is repealing the EU Withdrawal Act a precondition of revoking Article 50?

How many letters suffice to construct words with no repetition?

How is it possible for user's password to be changed after storage was encrypted? (on OS X, Android)

Pristine Bit Checking

Prime joint compound before latex paint?

"listening to me about as much as you're listening to this pole here"

Is this homebrew feat, Beast of Burden, balanced?

Is this food a bread or a loaf?

What is the offset in a seaplane's hull?

Is every set a filtered colimit of finite sets?

Crop image to path created in TikZ?

Input two commands to a new terminal?

How to move the player while also allowing forces to affect it

Why is my log file so massive? 22gb. I am running log backups

Mapping arrows in commutative diagrams

Need help identifying/translating a plaque in Tangier, Morocco

What does "enim et" mean?

What does 'script /dev/null' do?



Is “plugging out” electronic devices an American expression?


American pronunciation of constituentAmerican Accent or American Intonation?Emphatic constructions in American EnglishAmerican English Idiom “Out of this world” and Sentence StressBritish “Packet” = American “X?”school lunch in American Englishsubtlety in English expressionlecture theater- an American expression?American equivalent of British “takeaway”Is this text American or British English? Please, I need the American version






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








4















Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?










share|improve this question



















  • 7





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago











  • Canadian here; I've never heard anyone use the phrase "plugging out" before. It's always "unplug".

    – Kalmino
    3 mins ago

















4















Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?










share|improve this question



















  • 7





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago











  • Canadian here; I've never heard anyone use the phrase "plugging out" before. It's always "unplug".

    – Kalmino
    3 mins ago













4












4








4








Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?










share|improve this question
















Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?







american-english






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 2 hours ago







Kaique

















asked 2 hours ago









KaiqueKaique

1,497420




1,497420







  • 7





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago











  • Canadian here; I've never heard anyone use the phrase "plugging out" before. It's always "unplug".

    – Kalmino
    3 mins ago












  • 7





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago











  • Canadian here; I've never heard anyone use the phrase "plugging out" before. It's always "unplug".

    – Kalmino
    3 mins ago







7




7





FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

– Mixolydian
1 hour ago





FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

– Mixolydian
1 hour ago













Canadian here; I've never heard anyone use the phrase "plugging out" before. It's always "unplug".

– Kalmino
3 mins ago





Canadian here; I've never heard anyone use the phrase "plugging out" before. It's always "unplug".

– Kalmino
3 mins ago










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















6














Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer




















  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    36 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    35 mins ago











  • @SamBC: I told it to restrict it to a verb, but quite a few entries were mis-tagged. There were few enough that I could inspect them individually and exclude the ones with a different structure.

    – Colin Fine
    4 mins ago











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "481"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f204522%2fis-plugging-out-electronic-devices-an-american-expression%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









6














Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer




















  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    36 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    35 mins ago











  • @SamBC: I told it to restrict it to a verb, but quite a few entries were mis-tagged. There were few enough that I could inspect them individually and exclude the ones with a different structure.

    – Colin Fine
    4 mins ago















6














Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer




















  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    36 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    35 mins ago











  • @SamBC: I told it to restrict it to a verb, but quite a few entries were mis-tagged. There were few enough that I could inspect them individually and exclude the ones with a different structure.

    – Colin Fine
    4 mins ago













6












6








6







Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer















Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.








share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited 1 hour ago

























answered 1 hour ago









user070221user070221

5,08111033




5,08111033







  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    36 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    35 mins ago











  • @SamBC: I told it to restrict it to a verb, but quite a few entries were mis-tagged. There were few enough that I could inspect them individually and exclude the ones with a different structure.

    – Colin Fine
    4 mins ago












  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    36 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    35 mins ago











  • @SamBC: I told it to restrict it to a verb, but quite a few entries were mis-tagged. There were few enough that I could inspect them individually and exclude the ones with a different structure.

    – Colin Fine
    4 mins ago







2




2





The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

– Colin Fine
1 hour ago





The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

– Colin Fine
1 hour ago




1




1





@ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

– SamBC
36 mins ago





@ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

– SamBC
36 mins ago













(I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

– SamBC
35 mins ago





(I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

– SamBC
35 mins ago













@SamBC: I told it to restrict it to a verb, but quite a few entries were mis-tagged. There were few enough that I could inspect them individually and exclude the ones with a different structure.

– Colin Fine
4 mins ago





@SamBC: I told it to restrict it to a verb, but quite a few entries were mis-tagged. There were few enough that I could inspect them individually and exclude the ones with a different structure.

– Colin Fine
4 mins ago

















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language Learners Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f204522%2fis-plugging-out-electronic-devices-an-american-expression%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e