Mean and Variance of Continuous Random VariableMean and variance of call center dataPoisson random variable- varianceHow to obtain variance of a random variable that depends on a hypergeometric variable?Variance reduction technique in Monte Carlo integrationVariance of a continuous uniformly distributed random variableWeighted sample mean and variance - asking for references and detailsCan the variance of a continuous random variable with known distribution be impossible to find?Mean and variance of the maximum of a random number of Uniform variablesApproximating the expected value and variance of the function of a (continuous univariate) random variableMean of maximum of exponential random variables (independent but not identical)

What is the command to reset a PC without deleting any files

declaring a variable twice in IIFE

If Manufacturer spice model and Datasheet give different values which should I use?

Can an x86 CPU running in real mode be considered to be basically an 8086 CPU?

Is it possible to do 50 km distance without any previous training?

What does "enim et" mean?

How can the DM most effectively choose 1 out of an odd number of players to be targeted by an attack or effect?

Why is an old chain unsafe?

How is the relation "the smallest element is the same" reflexive?

What do you call something that goes against the spirit of the law, but is legal when interpreting the law to the letter?

Is it possible to make sharp wind that can cut stuff from afar?

Infinite past with a beginning?

Can I make popcorn with any corn?

The magic money tree problem

Is it legal to have the "// (c) 2019 John Smith" header in all files when there are hundreds of contributors?

Motorized valve interfering with button?

Non-Jewish family in an Orthodox Jewish Wedding

Should I join an office cleaning event for free?

Is Social Media Science Fiction?

Why is this code 6.5x slower with optimizations enabled?

Prevent a directory in /tmp from being deleted

Example of a relative pronoun

Why doesn't Newton's third law mean a person bounces back to where they started when they hit the ground?

A Journey Through Space and Time



Mean and Variance of Continuous Random Variable


Mean and variance of call center dataPoisson random variable- varianceHow to obtain variance of a random variable that depends on a hypergeometric variable?Variance reduction technique in Monte Carlo integrationVariance of a continuous uniformly distributed random variableWeighted sample mean and variance - asking for references and detailsCan the variance of a continuous random variable with known distribution be impossible to find?Mean and variance of the maximum of a random number of Uniform variablesApproximating the expected value and variance of the function of a (continuous univariate) random variableMean of maximum of exponential random variables (independent but not identical)






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








2












$begingroup$


I have a problem on my homework about the continuous random variable $y$ where the cdf is $F(y)=frac1(1+e^-y)$.



Part a is asking for the pdf which I found to be $frace^y(e^y+1)^2$.



Part b asks for the mean and variance of $y$ but when I tried to find the $E(y)$, I got zero with the integral from $-infty$ to $infty$ of $fracye^y(e^y+1)^2$. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this problem?










share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$


















    2












    $begingroup$


    I have a problem on my homework about the continuous random variable $y$ where the cdf is $F(y)=frac1(1+e^-y)$.



    Part a is asking for the pdf which I found to be $frace^y(e^y+1)^2$.



    Part b asks for the mean and variance of $y$ but when I tried to find the $E(y)$, I got zero with the integral from $-infty$ to $infty$ of $fracye^y(e^y+1)^2$. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this problem?










    share|cite|improve this question









    New contributor




    EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
    Check out our Code of Conduct.







    $endgroup$














      2












      2








      2





      $begingroup$


      I have a problem on my homework about the continuous random variable $y$ where the cdf is $F(y)=frac1(1+e^-y)$.



      Part a is asking for the pdf which I found to be $frace^y(e^y+1)^2$.



      Part b asks for the mean and variance of $y$ but when I tried to find the $E(y)$, I got zero with the integral from $-infty$ to $infty$ of $fracye^y(e^y+1)^2$. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this problem?










      share|cite|improve this question









      New contributor




      EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.







      $endgroup$




      I have a problem on my homework about the continuous random variable $y$ where the cdf is $F(y)=frac1(1+e^-y)$.



      Part a is asking for the pdf which I found to be $frace^y(e^y+1)^2$.



      Part b asks for the mean and variance of $y$ but when I tried to find the $E(y)$, I got zero with the integral from $-infty$ to $infty$ of $fracye^y(e^y+1)^2$. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this problem?







      variance mean






      share|cite|improve this question









      New contributor




      EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.











      share|cite|improve this question









      New contributor




      EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.









      share|cite|improve this question




      share|cite|improve this question








      edited 3 hours ago









      Noah

      3,6011417




      3,6011417






      New contributor




      EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.









      asked 5 hours ago









      EBuschEBusch

      112




      112




      New contributor




      EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.





      New contributor





      EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.






      EBusch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.




















          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          1












          $begingroup$

          What makes you think you did something wrong?



          beginalign
          & Pr(Yle y) = F(y) = frac 1 1+e^-y \[10pt]
          textand & Pr(Yge -y) = 1-F(-y) = 1- frac 1 1+e^y \[8pt]
          = & frace^y1+e^y = frace^ycdot e^-y(1+e^y)cdot e^-y = frac 1 e^-y+1,
          endalign

          and therefore
          $$
          Pr(Yle y) = Pr(Y ge -y).
          $$

          So this distribution is symmetric about $0.$



          Therefore, if the expected value exists, it is $0.$



          You can also show that the density function is an even function:
          beginalign
          f(y) & = frace^y(1+e^y)^2. \[12pt]
          f(-y) & = frace^-y(1+e^-y)^2 = frace^-ycdotleft( e^y right)^2Big((1+e^-y) cdot e^y Big)^2 = frace^y(e^y+1)^2 = f(y).
          endalign

          Since the density is an even function, the expected value must be $0$ if it exists.



          The expected value $operatorname E(Y)$ exists if $operatorname E(|Y|) < +infty.$






          share|cite|improve this answer









          $endgroup$




















            0












            $begingroup$

            Comment:



            Setting what I take to be your CDF equal to $U sim mathsfUnif(0,1),$ and solving for the quantile function (inverse CDF) in terms of $U,$ I simulate a sample of a million
            observations as shown below.



            Then, when I plot one possible interpretation of your PDF through the histogram of the large sample, that density function
            seems to fit pretty well.



            set.seed(1019) # for reproducibility
            u = runif(10^6); x = -log(1/u - 1)

            hist(x, prob=T, br=100, col="skyblue2")
            curve(exp(x)/(exp(x)+1)^2, -10, 10, add=T, lwd=2, col="red")


            enter image description here



            I don't pretend that this is a 'worked answer' to your problem, but
            I hope it may give you enough clues to improve the version of the problem you posted and to finish the problem on your own.






            share|cite|improve this answer











            $endgroup$













              Your Answer





              StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
              return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
              StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
              StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
              );
              );
              , "mathjax-editing");

              StackExchange.ready(function()
              var channelOptions =
              tags: "".split(" "),
              id: "65"
              ;
              initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

              StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
              // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
              if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
              StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
              createEditor();
              );

              else
              createEditor();

              );

              function createEditor()
              StackExchange.prepareEditor(
              heartbeatType: 'answer',
              autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
              convertImagesToLinks: false,
              noModals: true,
              showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
              reputationToPostImages: null,
              bindNavPrevention: true,
              postfix: "",
              imageUploader:
              brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
              contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
              allowUrls: true
              ,
              onDemand: true,
              discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
              ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
              );



              );






              EBusch is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









              draft saved

              draft discarded


















              StackExchange.ready(
              function ()
              StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstats.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f401726%2fmean-and-variance-of-continuous-random-variable%23new-answer', 'question_page');

              );

              Post as a guest















              Required, but never shown

























              2 Answers
              2






              active

              oldest

              votes








              2 Answers
              2






              active

              oldest

              votes









              active

              oldest

              votes






              active

              oldest

              votes









              1












              $begingroup$

              What makes you think you did something wrong?



              beginalign
              & Pr(Yle y) = F(y) = frac 1 1+e^-y \[10pt]
              textand & Pr(Yge -y) = 1-F(-y) = 1- frac 1 1+e^y \[8pt]
              = & frace^y1+e^y = frace^ycdot e^-y(1+e^y)cdot e^-y = frac 1 e^-y+1,
              endalign

              and therefore
              $$
              Pr(Yle y) = Pr(Y ge -y).
              $$

              So this distribution is symmetric about $0.$



              Therefore, if the expected value exists, it is $0.$



              You can also show that the density function is an even function:
              beginalign
              f(y) & = frace^y(1+e^y)^2. \[12pt]
              f(-y) & = frace^-y(1+e^-y)^2 = frace^-ycdotleft( e^y right)^2Big((1+e^-y) cdot e^y Big)^2 = frace^y(e^y+1)^2 = f(y).
              endalign

              Since the density is an even function, the expected value must be $0$ if it exists.



              The expected value $operatorname E(Y)$ exists if $operatorname E(|Y|) < +infty.$






              share|cite|improve this answer









              $endgroup$

















                1












                $begingroup$

                What makes you think you did something wrong?



                beginalign
                & Pr(Yle y) = F(y) = frac 1 1+e^-y \[10pt]
                textand & Pr(Yge -y) = 1-F(-y) = 1- frac 1 1+e^y \[8pt]
                = & frace^y1+e^y = frace^ycdot e^-y(1+e^y)cdot e^-y = frac 1 e^-y+1,
                endalign

                and therefore
                $$
                Pr(Yle y) = Pr(Y ge -y).
                $$

                So this distribution is symmetric about $0.$



                Therefore, if the expected value exists, it is $0.$



                You can also show that the density function is an even function:
                beginalign
                f(y) & = frace^y(1+e^y)^2. \[12pt]
                f(-y) & = frace^-y(1+e^-y)^2 = frace^-ycdotleft( e^y right)^2Big((1+e^-y) cdot e^y Big)^2 = frace^y(e^y+1)^2 = f(y).
                endalign

                Since the density is an even function, the expected value must be $0$ if it exists.



                The expected value $operatorname E(Y)$ exists if $operatorname E(|Y|) < +infty.$






                share|cite|improve this answer









                $endgroup$















                  1












                  1








                  1





                  $begingroup$

                  What makes you think you did something wrong?



                  beginalign
                  & Pr(Yle y) = F(y) = frac 1 1+e^-y \[10pt]
                  textand & Pr(Yge -y) = 1-F(-y) = 1- frac 1 1+e^y \[8pt]
                  = & frace^y1+e^y = frace^ycdot e^-y(1+e^y)cdot e^-y = frac 1 e^-y+1,
                  endalign

                  and therefore
                  $$
                  Pr(Yle y) = Pr(Y ge -y).
                  $$

                  So this distribution is symmetric about $0.$



                  Therefore, if the expected value exists, it is $0.$



                  You can also show that the density function is an even function:
                  beginalign
                  f(y) & = frace^y(1+e^y)^2. \[12pt]
                  f(-y) & = frace^-y(1+e^-y)^2 = frace^-ycdotleft( e^y right)^2Big((1+e^-y) cdot e^y Big)^2 = frace^y(e^y+1)^2 = f(y).
                  endalign

                  Since the density is an even function, the expected value must be $0$ if it exists.



                  The expected value $operatorname E(Y)$ exists if $operatorname E(|Y|) < +infty.$






                  share|cite|improve this answer









                  $endgroup$



                  What makes you think you did something wrong?



                  beginalign
                  & Pr(Yle y) = F(y) = frac 1 1+e^-y \[10pt]
                  textand & Pr(Yge -y) = 1-F(-y) = 1- frac 1 1+e^y \[8pt]
                  = & frace^y1+e^y = frace^ycdot e^-y(1+e^y)cdot e^-y = frac 1 e^-y+1,
                  endalign

                  and therefore
                  $$
                  Pr(Yle y) = Pr(Y ge -y).
                  $$

                  So this distribution is symmetric about $0.$



                  Therefore, if the expected value exists, it is $0.$



                  You can also show that the density function is an even function:
                  beginalign
                  f(y) & = frace^y(1+e^y)^2. \[12pt]
                  f(-y) & = frace^-y(1+e^-y)^2 = frace^-ycdotleft( e^y right)^2Big((1+e^-y) cdot e^y Big)^2 = frace^y(e^y+1)^2 = f(y).
                  endalign

                  Since the density is an even function, the expected value must be $0$ if it exists.



                  The expected value $operatorname E(Y)$ exists if $operatorname E(|Y|) < +infty.$







                  share|cite|improve this answer












                  share|cite|improve this answer



                  share|cite|improve this answer










                  answered 2 hours ago









                  Michael HardyMichael Hardy

                  3,9951430




                  3,9951430























                      0












                      $begingroup$

                      Comment:



                      Setting what I take to be your CDF equal to $U sim mathsfUnif(0,1),$ and solving for the quantile function (inverse CDF) in terms of $U,$ I simulate a sample of a million
                      observations as shown below.



                      Then, when I plot one possible interpretation of your PDF through the histogram of the large sample, that density function
                      seems to fit pretty well.



                      set.seed(1019) # for reproducibility
                      u = runif(10^6); x = -log(1/u - 1)

                      hist(x, prob=T, br=100, col="skyblue2")
                      curve(exp(x)/(exp(x)+1)^2, -10, 10, add=T, lwd=2, col="red")


                      enter image description here



                      I don't pretend that this is a 'worked answer' to your problem, but
                      I hope it may give you enough clues to improve the version of the problem you posted and to finish the problem on your own.






                      share|cite|improve this answer











                      $endgroup$

















                        0












                        $begingroup$

                        Comment:



                        Setting what I take to be your CDF equal to $U sim mathsfUnif(0,1),$ and solving for the quantile function (inverse CDF) in terms of $U,$ I simulate a sample of a million
                        observations as shown below.



                        Then, when I plot one possible interpretation of your PDF through the histogram of the large sample, that density function
                        seems to fit pretty well.



                        set.seed(1019) # for reproducibility
                        u = runif(10^6); x = -log(1/u - 1)

                        hist(x, prob=T, br=100, col="skyblue2")
                        curve(exp(x)/(exp(x)+1)^2, -10, 10, add=T, lwd=2, col="red")


                        enter image description here



                        I don't pretend that this is a 'worked answer' to your problem, but
                        I hope it may give you enough clues to improve the version of the problem you posted and to finish the problem on your own.






                        share|cite|improve this answer











                        $endgroup$















                          0












                          0








                          0





                          $begingroup$

                          Comment:



                          Setting what I take to be your CDF equal to $U sim mathsfUnif(0,1),$ and solving for the quantile function (inverse CDF) in terms of $U,$ I simulate a sample of a million
                          observations as shown below.



                          Then, when I plot one possible interpretation of your PDF through the histogram of the large sample, that density function
                          seems to fit pretty well.



                          set.seed(1019) # for reproducibility
                          u = runif(10^6); x = -log(1/u - 1)

                          hist(x, prob=T, br=100, col="skyblue2")
                          curve(exp(x)/(exp(x)+1)^2, -10, 10, add=T, lwd=2, col="red")


                          enter image description here



                          I don't pretend that this is a 'worked answer' to your problem, but
                          I hope it may give you enough clues to improve the version of the problem you posted and to finish the problem on your own.






                          share|cite|improve this answer











                          $endgroup$



                          Comment:



                          Setting what I take to be your CDF equal to $U sim mathsfUnif(0,1),$ and solving for the quantile function (inverse CDF) in terms of $U,$ I simulate a sample of a million
                          observations as shown below.



                          Then, when I plot one possible interpretation of your PDF through the histogram of the large sample, that density function
                          seems to fit pretty well.



                          set.seed(1019) # for reproducibility
                          u = runif(10^6); x = -log(1/u - 1)

                          hist(x, prob=T, br=100, col="skyblue2")
                          curve(exp(x)/(exp(x)+1)^2, -10, 10, add=T, lwd=2, col="red")


                          enter image description here



                          I don't pretend that this is a 'worked answer' to your problem, but
                          I hope it may give you enough clues to improve the version of the problem you posted and to finish the problem on your own.







                          share|cite|improve this answer














                          share|cite|improve this answer



                          share|cite|improve this answer








                          edited 31 mins ago

























                          answered 4 hours ago









                          BruceETBruceET

                          6,3531721




                          6,3531721




















                              EBusch is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









                              draft saved

                              draft discarded


















                              EBusch is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












                              EBusch is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.











                              EBusch is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.














                              Thanks for contributing an answer to Cross Validated!


                              • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                              But avoid …


                              • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                              • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                              Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


                              To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                              draft saved


                              draft discarded














                              StackExchange.ready(
                              function ()
                              StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstats.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f401726%2fmean-and-variance-of-continuous-random-variable%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                              );

                              Post as a guest















                              Required, but never shown





















































                              Required, but never shown














                              Required, but never shown












                              Required, but never shown







                              Required, but never shown

































                              Required, but never shown














                              Required, but never shown












                              Required, but never shown







                              Required, but never shown







                              Popular posts from this blog

                              Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

                              Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

                              When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e