Can I force a website/service to delete my private dataHow to make data brokers delete my information without providing more information? Can I take legal action?Can Social Media Reviews Be Considered Defamation?Can app manufacturers collect and store minors' data?Facebook blocked my account until I consent to their new privacy policy under GDPR. If I consent now, will I be able to withdraw my consent later?Do I have legal standing to force a website to remove my Personally Identifiable Information (PII)?What does “monitor the behavior of individuals in the EU” mean?Facebook vs GDPR - Private Messages I sent to others will never be deleted/erased from Facebook serversDoes a user have the right to request their forum posts deleted?Do I have to provide proof of citizenship - GDPRYahoo Messenger and the GDPRanonymisation/redaction of public website content as response to 'right to erasure'

Relationship between strut and baselineskip

Minor Revision with suggestion of an alternative proof by reviewer

Can SQL Server create collisions in system generated constraint names?

What makes accurate emulation of old systems a difficult task?

Alignment of various blocks in tikz

How to display Aura JS Errors Lightning Out

Is the claim "Employers won't employ people with no 'social media presence'" realistic?

Can we say “you can pay when the order gets ready”?

How can I practically buy stocks?

Why must Chinese maps be obfuscated?

a sore throat vs a strep throat vs strep throat

Critique of timeline aesthetic

How do I reattach a shelf to the wall when it ripped out of the wall?

Is it idiomatic to construct against `this`

Pre-plastic human skin alternative

What are the characteristics of a typeless programming language?

Implications of cigar-shaped bodies having rings?

Re-entry to Germany after vacation using blue card

What's the polite way to say "I need to urinate"?

How to limit Drive Letters Windows assigns to new removable USB drives

"Whatever a Russian does, they end up making the Kalashnikov gun"? Are there any similar proverbs in English?

"You've called the wrong number" or "You called the wrong number"

Why didn't the Space Shuttle bounce back into space as many times as possible so as to lose a lot of kinetic energy up there?

How to stop co-workers from teasing me because I know Russian?



Can I force a website/service to delete my private data


How to make data brokers delete my information without providing more information? Can I take legal action?Can Social Media Reviews Be Considered Defamation?Can app manufacturers collect and store minors' data?Facebook blocked my account until I consent to their new privacy policy under GDPR. If I consent now, will I be able to withdraw my consent later?Do I have legal standing to force a website to remove my Personally Identifiable Information (PII)?What does “monitor the behavior of individuals in the EU” mean?Facebook vs GDPR - Private Messages I sent to others will never be deleted/erased from Facebook serversDoes a user have the right to request their forum posts deleted?Do I have to provide proof of citizenship - GDPRYahoo Messenger and the GDPRanonymisation/redaction of public website content as response to 'right to erasure'













1















I would like to wipe my online data clean and make sure the people deleted my account.



Considering that most services only offer to "close" or "suspend" the account and not delete the data like skype or facebook can I force them to delete my data ?



I'm French and most of the services are US based.










share|improve this question
























  • The Ashley-Madison scandal shows that even when announcing this as a feature, a website can well disregard the law and never be prosecuted for that.

    – Gabriel Diego
    Aug 17 '16 at 15:51















1















I would like to wipe my online data clean and make sure the people deleted my account.



Considering that most services only offer to "close" or "suspend" the account and not delete the data like skype or facebook can I force them to delete my data ?



I'm French and most of the services are US based.










share|improve this question
























  • The Ashley-Madison scandal shows that even when announcing this as a feature, a website can well disregard the law and never be prosecuted for that.

    – Gabriel Diego
    Aug 17 '16 at 15:51













1












1








1








I would like to wipe my online data clean and make sure the people deleted my account.



Considering that most services only offer to "close" or "suspend" the account and not delete the data like skype or facebook can I force them to delete my data ?



I'm French and most of the services are US based.










share|improve this question
















I would like to wipe my online data clean and make sure the people deleted my account.



Considering that most services only offer to "close" or "suspend" the account and not delete the data like skype or facebook can I force them to delete my data ?



I'm French and most of the services are US based.







united-states gdpr data-ownership






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 1 min ago









David Siegel

18k3768




18k3768










asked Aug 16 '16 at 8:47









drovdrov

61




61












  • The Ashley-Madison scandal shows that even when announcing this as a feature, a website can well disregard the law and never be prosecuted for that.

    – Gabriel Diego
    Aug 17 '16 at 15:51

















  • The Ashley-Madison scandal shows that even when announcing this as a feature, a website can well disregard the law and never be prosecuted for that.

    – Gabriel Diego
    Aug 17 '16 at 15:51
















The Ashley-Madison scandal shows that even when announcing this as a feature, a website can well disregard the law and never be prosecuted for that.

– Gabriel Diego
Aug 17 '16 at 15:51





The Ashley-Madison scandal shows that even when announcing this as a feature, a website can well disregard the law and never be prosecuted for that.

– Gabriel Diego
Aug 17 '16 at 15:51










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















1














Typically, you have no right to the data from concerning you held by service providers. In fact, the vast majority of established service providers will have you explicitly licensing your content to them by way of the Terms of Use or Service.



Barring specific statute to the contrary, the existence of which I'm not aware - there is no legal obligation for anu private entity in the United States to delete or even divulge the information it holds on you.






share|improve this answer























    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "617"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flaw.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f13411%2fcan-i-force-a-website-service-to-delete-my-private-data%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    1














    Typically, you have no right to the data from concerning you held by service providers. In fact, the vast majority of established service providers will have you explicitly licensing your content to them by way of the Terms of Use or Service.



    Barring specific statute to the contrary, the existence of which I'm not aware - there is no legal obligation for anu private entity in the United States to delete or even divulge the information it holds on you.






    share|improve this answer



























      1














      Typically, you have no right to the data from concerning you held by service providers. In fact, the vast majority of established service providers will have you explicitly licensing your content to them by way of the Terms of Use or Service.



      Barring specific statute to the contrary, the existence of which I'm not aware - there is no legal obligation for anu private entity in the United States to delete or even divulge the information it holds on you.






      share|improve this answer

























        1












        1








        1







        Typically, you have no right to the data from concerning you held by service providers. In fact, the vast majority of established service providers will have you explicitly licensing your content to them by way of the Terms of Use or Service.



        Barring specific statute to the contrary, the existence of which I'm not aware - there is no legal obligation for anu private entity in the United States to delete or even divulge the information it holds on you.






        share|improve this answer













        Typically, you have no right to the data from concerning you held by service providers. In fact, the vast majority of established service providers will have you explicitly licensing your content to them by way of the Terms of Use or Service.



        Barring specific statute to the contrary, the existence of which I'm not aware - there is no legal obligation for anu private entity in the United States to delete or even divulge the information it holds on you.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Aug 18 '16 at 13:01









        jimsug♦jimsug

        9,81262466




        9,81262466



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Law Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flaw.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f13411%2fcan-i-force-a-website-service-to-delete-my-private-data%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

            Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

            When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e