Font with correct density?Layout for seminar paper; justified, font, size, spacingHow similar output do mathptmx and Times New Roman create?What is the secret to use fonts?Why do different fonts have different point sizes?Set the default math font back to the originalChoosing a good math font to use with Georgia text fontIncluding letters from other fontsCorrect braille fontInclude correct label with includepdfWhat font to use for source code in a document?

Happy pi day, everyone!

Life insurance that covers only simultaneous/dual deaths

Why must traveling waves have the same amplitude to form a standing wave?

Does the statement `int val = (++i > ++j) ? ++i : ++j;` invoke undefined behavior?

Why is "das Weib" grammatically neuter?

Good allowance savings plan?

How to generate globally unique ids for different tables of the same database?

Informing my boss about remarks from a nasty colleague

Ban on all campaign finance?

How to get the name of the database a stored procedure is executed in within that stored procedure while it's executing?

How do I hide Chekhov's Gun?

Identifying the interval from A♭ to D♯

Check this translation of Amores 1.3.26

SQL Server Primary Login Restrictions

Be in awe of my brilliance!

Theorems like the Lovász Local Lemma?

How to make healing in an exploration game interesting

Cultural lunch issues

Pinhole Camera with Instant Film

RegionDifference for Cylinder and Cuboid

Bash: What does "masking return values" mean?

What has been your most complicated TikZ drawing?

Why doesn't the EU now just force the UK to choose between referendum and no-deal?

Implicit nil checks in algorithms



Font with correct density?


Layout for seminar paper; justified, font, size, spacingHow similar output do mathptmx and Times New Roman create?What is the secret to use fonts?Why do different fonts have different point sizes?Set the default math font back to the originalChoosing a good math font to use with Georgia text fontIncluding letters from other fontsCorrect braille fontInclude correct label with includepdfWhat font to use for source code in a document?













3















I'm writing a paper for university and my professor has some formal specification. We shall use Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma as fonts. Clearly he thougth about Word when specifying this. So I searched for a fitting font in PDFLaTeX. As I want to write with serifs, I looked for one similar to Times New Roman and found newtx.



Now I want to know if this has the correct density (is this the correct term?), so if I can write as much characters as my colleagues using word and one of the mentioned fonts and not more. (Our limit is given in pages.)



My question: Has newtx a density similar to Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma?



If there are any references for looking up such values, I'd like to learn this too.










share|improve this question



















  • 3





    As Times and Arial have very different "density" I would say that the professor doesn't care. But if you are unsure: write two pages and show him the result and ask.

    – Ulrike Fischer
    3 hours ago















3















I'm writing a paper for university and my professor has some formal specification. We shall use Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma as fonts. Clearly he thougth about Word when specifying this. So I searched for a fitting font in PDFLaTeX. As I want to write with serifs, I looked for one similar to Times New Roman and found newtx.



Now I want to know if this has the correct density (is this the correct term?), so if I can write as much characters as my colleagues using word and one of the mentioned fonts and not more. (Our limit is given in pages.)



My question: Has newtx a density similar to Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma?



If there are any references for looking up such values, I'd like to learn this too.










share|improve this question



















  • 3





    As Times and Arial have very different "density" I would say that the professor doesn't care. But if you are unsure: write two pages and show him the result and ask.

    – Ulrike Fischer
    3 hours ago













3












3








3








I'm writing a paper for university and my professor has some formal specification. We shall use Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma as fonts. Clearly he thougth about Word when specifying this. So I searched for a fitting font in PDFLaTeX. As I want to write with serifs, I looked for one similar to Times New Roman and found newtx.



Now I want to know if this has the correct density (is this the correct term?), so if I can write as much characters as my colleagues using word and one of the mentioned fonts and not more. (Our limit is given in pages.)



My question: Has newtx a density similar to Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma?



If there are any references for looking up such values, I'd like to learn this too.










share|improve this question
















I'm writing a paper for university and my professor has some formal specification. We shall use Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma as fonts. Clearly he thougth about Word when specifying this. So I searched for a fitting font in PDFLaTeX. As I want to write with serifs, I looked for one similar to Times New Roman and found newtx.



Now I want to know if this has the correct density (is this the correct term?), so if I can write as much characters as my colleagues using word and one of the mentioned fonts and not more. (Our limit is given in pages.)



My question: Has newtx a density similar to Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma?



If there are any references for looking up such values, I'd like to learn this too.







fonts pdftex






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 4 hours ago









Bernard

173k776204




173k776204










asked 4 hours ago









K-HBK-HB

1385




1385







  • 3





    As Times and Arial have very different "density" I would say that the professor doesn't care. But if you are unsure: write two pages and show him the result and ask.

    – Ulrike Fischer
    3 hours ago












  • 3





    As Times and Arial have very different "density" I would say that the professor doesn't care. But if you are unsure: write two pages and show him the result and ask.

    – Ulrike Fischer
    3 hours ago







3




3





As Times and Arial have very different "density" I would say that the professor doesn't care. But if you are unsure: write two pages and show him the result and ask.

– Ulrike Fischer
3 hours ago





As Times and Arial have very different "density" I would say that the professor doesn't care. But if you are unsure: write two pages and show him the result and ask.

– Ulrike Fischer
3 hours ago










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















6














There's a simple (and not necessarily correct) test you can do: Using the package typoaid you may look at values like the number of characters per width (tychperwidth) and maybe the values from the font table.



Compiling (as reference) the following document with Times New Roman:



documentclass[12pt]article
usepackagefontspec
setmainfontTimes New Roman
usepackagetypoaid
begindocument
tychperwidthrmfamilypar
tyfonttablermfamily
enddocument


I get values like



times



On the other hand, with nimbusserif and pdflatex I get



nimbus serif



documentclass[12pt]article
usepackagenimbusserif
usepackagetypoaid
begindocument
tychperwidthrmfamilypar
tyfonttablermfamily
enddocument


And finally with newtxtext and pdflatex:



newtxtext



documentclass[12pt]article
usepackagenewtxtext
usepackagetypoaid
begindocument
tychperwidthrmfamilypar
tyfonttablermfamily
enddocument


That shows how you may get very similar result. Please note that you may get even better results than your colleagues by using proper hyphenation with babel and the enhancements offered by microtype.






share|improve this answer






















    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "85"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftex.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f479521%2ffont-with-correct-density%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    6














    There's a simple (and not necessarily correct) test you can do: Using the package typoaid you may look at values like the number of characters per width (tychperwidth) and maybe the values from the font table.



    Compiling (as reference) the following document with Times New Roman:



    documentclass[12pt]article
    usepackagefontspec
    setmainfontTimes New Roman
    usepackagetypoaid
    begindocument
    tychperwidthrmfamilypar
    tyfonttablermfamily
    enddocument


    I get values like



    times



    On the other hand, with nimbusserif and pdflatex I get



    nimbus serif



    documentclass[12pt]article
    usepackagenimbusserif
    usepackagetypoaid
    begindocument
    tychperwidthrmfamilypar
    tyfonttablermfamily
    enddocument


    And finally with newtxtext and pdflatex:



    newtxtext



    documentclass[12pt]article
    usepackagenewtxtext
    usepackagetypoaid
    begindocument
    tychperwidthrmfamilypar
    tyfonttablermfamily
    enddocument


    That shows how you may get very similar result. Please note that you may get even better results than your colleagues by using proper hyphenation with babel and the enhancements offered by microtype.






    share|improve this answer



























      6














      There's a simple (and not necessarily correct) test you can do: Using the package typoaid you may look at values like the number of characters per width (tychperwidth) and maybe the values from the font table.



      Compiling (as reference) the following document with Times New Roman:



      documentclass[12pt]article
      usepackagefontspec
      setmainfontTimes New Roman
      usepackagetypoaid
      begindocument
      tychperwidthrmfamilypar
      tyfonttablermfamily
      enddocument


      I get values like



      times



      On the other hand, with nimbusserif and pdflatex I get



      nimbus serif



      documentclass[12pt]article
      usepackagenimbusserif
      usepackagetypoaid
      begindocument
      tychperwidthrmfamilypar
      tyfonttablermfamily
      enddocument


      And finally with newtxtext and pdflatex:



      newtxtext



      documentclass[12pt]article
      usepackagenewtxtext
      usepackagetypoaid
      begindocument
      tychperwidthrmfamilypar
      tyfonttablermfamily
      enddocument


      That shows how you may get very similar result. Please note that you may get even better results than your colleagues by using proper hyphenation with babel and the enhancements offered by microtype.






      share|improve this answer

























        6












        6








        6







        There's a simple (and not necessarily correct) test you can do: Using the package typoaid you may look at values like the number of characters per width (tychperwidth) and maybe the values from the font table.



        Compiling (as reference) the following document with Times New Roman:



        documentclass[12pt]article
        usepackagefontspec
        setmainfontTimes New Roman
        usepackagetypoaid
        begindocument
        tychperwidthrmfamilypar
        tyfonttablermfamily
        enddocument


        I get values like



        times



        On the other hand, with nimbusserif and pdflatex I get



        nimbus serif



        documentclass[12pt]article
        usepackagenimbusserif
        usepackagetypoaid
        begindocument
        tychperwidthrmfamilypar
        tyfonttablermfamily
        enddocument


        And finally with newtxtext and pdflatex:



        newtxtext



        documentclass[12pt]article
        usepackagenewtxtext
        usepackagetypoaid
        begindocument
        tychperwidthrmfamilypar
        tyfonttablermfamily
        enddocument


        That shows how you may get very similar result. Please note that you may get even better results than your colleagues by using proper hyphenation with babel and the enhancements offered by microtype.






        share|improve this answer













        There's a simple (and not necessarily correct) test you can do: Using the package typoaid you may look at values like the number of characters per width (tychperwidth) and maybe the values from the font table.



        Compiling (as reference) the following document with Times New Roman:



        documentclass[12pt]article
        usepackagefontspec
        setmainfontTimes New Roman
        usepackagetypoaid
        begindocument
        tychperwidthrmfamilypar
        tyfonttablermfamily
        enddocument


        I get values like



        times



        On the other hand, with nimbusserif and pdflatex I get



        nimbus serif



        documentclass[12pt]article
        usepackagenimbusserif
        usepackagetypoaid
        begindocument
        tychperwidthrmfamilypar
        tyfonttablermfamily
        enddocument


        And finally with newtxtext and pdflatex:



        newtxtext



        documentclass[12pt]article
        usepackagenewtxtext
        usepackagetypoaid
        begindocument
        tychperwidthrmfamilypar
        tyfonttablermfamily
        enddocument


        That shows how you may get very similar result. Please note that you may get even better results than your colleagues by using proper hyphenation with babel and the enhancements offered by microtype.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered 3 hours ago









        TeXnicianTeXnician

        25.6k63390




        25.6k63390



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftex.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f479521%2ffont-with-correct-density%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

            Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

            When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e