Is there a problem creating Diff Backups every hour instead of Logs and DIffs? Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)Restore all applicable files in a backup device in T-SQLRe-Run Backup Job in SQL AgentErrors restoring a differential backuponsite and offsite backup questionSQL Server Database Migration - Backup/Restore while Original DB still in ProductionSQL Server 2008 R2 differential backups much larger than expectedShould I create multiple maintenance plans to backup more than 200 User databasesCannot find reason why differential backups size reducedSQL Server Mirroring SetupWhat does WITH FORMAT do on a DIFFERENTIAL backup?

Why am I getting the error "non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected" for this request?

What causes the vertical darker bands in my photo?

Identify plant with long narrow paired leaves and reddish stems

A coin, having probability p of landing heads and probability of q=(1-p) of landing on heads.

How widely used is the term Treppenwitz? Is it something that most Germans know?

Using audio cues to encourage good posture

What is a non-alternating simple group with big order, but relatively few conjugacy classes?

What to do with chalk when deepwater soloing?

How to call a function with default parameter through a pointer to function that is the return of another function?

In predicate logic, does existential quantification (∃) include universal quantification (∀), i.e. can 'some' imply 'all'?

How to find all the available tools in mac terminal?

What does "fit" mean in this sentence?

How does debian/ubuntu knows a package has a updated version

Output the ŋarâþ crîþ alphabet song without using (m)any letters

Storing hydrofluoric acid before the invention of plastics

Why do we bend a book to keep it straight?

What is the role of the transistor and diode in a soft start circuit?

Why is my conclusion inconsistent with the van't Hoff equation?

Dating a Former Employee

When do you get frequent flier miles - when you buy, or when you fly?

The logistics of corpse disposal

Bete Noir -- no dairy

Identifying polygons that intersect with another layer using QGIS?

3 doors, three guards, one stone



Is there a problem creating Diff Backups every hour instead of Logs and DIffs?



Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)Restore all applicable files in a backup device in T-SQLRe-Run Backup Job in SQL AgentErrors restoring a differential backuponsite and offsite backup questionSQL Server Database Migration - Backup/Restore while Original DB still in ProductionSQL Server 2008 R2 differential backups much larger than expectedShould I create multiple maintenance plans to backup more than 200 User databasesCannot find reason why differential backups size reducedSQL Server Mirroring SetupWhat does WITH FORMAT do on a DIFFERENTIAL backup?



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








2















So I have some databases ( 3 ) and they're not big. every Differential backup has like 50mb and then we have a full at midnight.



Is there a problem doing this?



I could make the full backup then logs, then diffs like 4 or 5 times a day, but storage is not a problem with this instance.










share|improve this question




























    2















    So I have some databases ( 3 ) and they're not big. every Differential backup has like 50mb and then we have a full at midnight.



    Is there a problem doing this?



    I could make the full backup then logs, then diffs like 4 or 5 times a day, but storage is not a problem with this instance.










    share|improve this question
























      2












      2








      2








      So I have some databases ( 3 ) and they're not big. every Differential backup has like 50mb and then we have a full at midnight.



      Is there a problem doing this?



      I could make the full backup then logs, then diffs like 4 or 5 times a day, but storage is not a problem with this instance.










      share|improve this question














      So I have some databases ( 3 ) and they're not big. every Differential backup has like 50mb and then we have a full at midnight.



      Is there a problem doing this?



      I could make the full backup then logs, then diffs like 4 or 5 times a day, but storage is not a problem with this instance.







      sql-server-2008-r2






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked 5 hours ago









      Racer SQLRacer SQL

      3,12142566




      3,12142566




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          3














          Storage is not why you take log backups. You take log backups when the database is in full recovery model, and you need point-in-time recovery between full or incremental backups.



          If your business can afford only 1 hour of lost data, then I'd typically setup nightly full backups for smaller databases, with log backups every 30 minutes during business hours (or even 24-hours per day).



          If you have the database in simple recovery model, and each database is only a couple of hundred megabytes, you could simple take full backups every hour, or half hour.



          Essentially, the decision comes down to answering these questions:



          1. What is my recovery point objective?

          2. What is my recovery time objective?

          See Wikipedia for great details about what those two things actually mean.



          If you're storing high-value, business-critical data in those databases, you should understand log backups, and the transaction log and recovery in general, to avoid being in a situation where you're unexpectedly missing data, or down for an extended period of time.






          share|improve this answer























          • Hey thanks Max. But that's my question. I can lost 1 hr of data. thats no problem, that's why I'm creating all of them diffs ( I'm using full recovery mode ). Then I can restore only the ful + diff , instead of full + log + log + log + log + log + log + log + diff..

            – Racer SQL
            4 hours ago











          Your Answer








          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "182"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: false,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: null,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fdba.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f234972%2fis-there-a-problem-creating-diff-backups-every-hour-instead-of-logs-and-diffs%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          3














          Storage is not why you take log backups. You take log backups when the database is in full recovery model, and you need point-in-time recovery between full or incremental backups.



          If your business can afford only 1 hour of lost data, then I'd typically setup nightly full backups for smaller databases, with log backups every 30 minutes during business hours (or even 24-hours per day).



          If you have the database in simple recovery model, and each database is only a couple of hundred megabytes, you could simple take full backups every hour, or half hour.



          Essentially, the decision comes down to answering these questions:



          1. What is my recovery point objective?

          2. What is my recovery time objective?

          See Wikipedia for great details about what those two things actually mean.



          If you're storing high-value, business-critical data in those databases, you should understand log backups, and the transaction log and recovery in general, to avoid being in a situation where you're unexpectedly missing data, or down for an extended period of time.






          share|improve this answer























          • Hey thanks Max. But that's my question. I can lost 1 hr of data. thats no problem, that's why I'm creating all of them diffs ( I'm using full recovery mode ). Then I can restore only the ful + diff , instead of full + log + log + log + log + log + log + log + diff..

            – Racer SQL
            4 hours ago















          3














          Storage is not why you take log backups. You take log backups when the database is in full recovery model, and you need point-in-time recovery between full or incremental backups.



          If your business can afford only 1 hour of lost data, then I'd typically setup nightly full backups for smaller databases, with log backups every 30 minutes during business hours (or even 24-hours per day).



          If you have the database in simple recovery model, and each database is only a couple of hundred megabytes, you could simple take full backups every hour, or half hour.



          Essentially, the decision comes down to answering these questions:



          1. What is my recovery point objective?

          2. What is my recovery time objective?

          See Wikipedia for great details about what those two things actually mean.



          If you're storing high-value, business-critical data in those databases, you should understand log backups, and the transaction log and recovery in general, to avoid being in a situation where you're unexpectedly missing data, or down for an extended period of time.






          share|improve this answer























          • Hey thanks Max. But that's my question. I can lost 1 hr of data. thats no problem, that's why I'm creating all of them diffs ( I'm using full recovery mode ). Then I can restore only the ful + diff , instead of full + log + log + log + log + log + log + log + diff..

            – Racer SQL
            4 hours ago













          3












          3








          3







          Storage is not why you take log backups. You take log backups when the database is in full recovery model, and you need point-in-time recovery between full or incremental backups.



          If your business can afford only 1 hour of lost data, then I'd typically setup nightly full backups for smaller databases, with log backups every 30 minutes during business hours (or even 24-hours per day).



          If you have the database in simple recovery model, and each database is only a couple of hundred megabytes, you could simple take full backups every hour, or half hour.



          Essentially, the decision comes down to answering these questions:



          1. What is my recovery point objective?

          2. What is my recovery time objective?

          See Wikipedia for great details about what those two things actually mean.



          If you're storing high-value, business-critical data in those databases, you should understand log backups, and the transaction log and recovery in general, to avoid being in a situation where you're unexpectedly missing data, or down for an extended period of time.






          share|improve this answer













          Storage is not why you take log backups. You take log backups when the database is in full recovery model, and you need point-in-time recovery between full or incremental backups.



          If your business can afford only 1 hour of lost data, then I'd typically setup nightly full backups for smaller databases, with log backups every 30 minutes during business hours (or even 24-hours per day).



          If you have the database in simple recovery model, and each database is only a couple of hundred megabytes, you could simple take full backups every hour, or half hour.



          Essentially, the decision comes down to answering these questions:



          1. What is my recovery point objective?

          2. What is my recovery time objective?

          See Wikipedia for great details about what those two things actually mean.



          If you're storing high-value, business-critical data in those databases, you should understand log backups, and the transaction log and recovery in general, to avoid being in a situation where you're unexpectedly missing data, or down for an extended period of time.







          share|improve this answer












          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer










          answered 5 hours ago









          Max VernonMax Vernon

          52.4k13115232




          52.4k13115232












          • Hey thanks Max. But that's my question. I can lost 1 hr of data. thats no problem, that's why I'm creating all of them diffs ( I'm using full recovery mode ). Then I can restore only the ful + diff , instead of full + log + log + log + log + log + log + log + diff..

            – Racer SQL
            4 hours ago

















          • Hey thanks Max. But that's my question. I can lost 1 hr of data. thats no problem, that's why I'm creating all of them diffs ( I'm using full recovery mode ). Then I can restore only the ful + diff , instead of full + log + log + log + log + log + log + log + diff..

            – Racer SQL
            4 hours ago
















          Hey thanks Max. But that's my question. I can lost 1 hr of data. thats no problem, that's why I'm creating all of them diffs ( I'm using full recovery mode ). Then I can restore only the ful + diff , instead of full + log + log + log + log + log + log + log + diff..

          – Racer SQL
          4 hours ago





          Hey thanks Max. But that's my question. I can lost 1 hr of data. thats no problem, that's why I'm creating all of them diffs ( I'm using full recovery mode ). Then I can restore only the ful + diff , instead of full + log + log + log + log + log + log + log + diff..

          – Racer SQL
          4 hours ago

















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Database Administrators Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fdba.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f234972%2fis-there-a-problem-creating-diff-backups-every-hour-instead-of-logs-and-diffs%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

          Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

          When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e