Providence Pentominoes Puzzle By Andrew Bradburn (Jigsaw)Cryptic clue puzzle (easy)Cryptic Crossword Puzzle: Rodents?Cryptic SucrosswordokuCryptic crossword (jigsaw puzzle)MIT 1995 Puzzle Hunt: Unsolved “Connecticut Suite” PuzzleWhat xkcd MeansPlot Twist (variety cryptic)The friendly cryptic where nobody has to die!Cryptic with missing capitalsArc (&) Reactors

Error message with tabularx

How do I deal with a coworker that keeps asking to make small superficial changes to a report, and it is seriously triggering my anxiety?

Why does processed meat contain preservatives, while canned fish needs not?

Unexpected email from Yorkshire Bank

Is creating your own "experiment" considered cheating during a physics exam?

Examples of non trivial equivalence relations , I mean equivalence relations without the expression " same ... as" in their definition?

What does KSP mean?

Is there really no use for MD5 anymore?

How to figure out whether the data is sample data or population data apart from the client's information?

Sci-fi novel series with instant travel between planets through gates. A river runs through the gates

Will a top journal at least read my introduction?

How can I place the product on a social media post better?

If a warlock with the Repelling Blast invocation casts Eldritch Blast and hits, must the targets always be pushed back?

A possible fake AI on Patreon!

Term for maladaptive animal behavior that will lead to their demise?

US visa is under administrative processing, I need the passport back ASAP

How can the Zone of Truth spell be defeated without the caster knowing?

How to verbalise code in Mathematica?

What happened to Captain America in Endgame?

Shrinkwrap tetris shapes without scaling or diagonal shapes

What is the difference between `command a[bc]d` and `command `ab,cd`

How to have a sharp product image?

How do we know that ממחרת השבת means from the first day of pesach and not the seventh?

Are Boeing 737-800’s grounded?



Providence Pentominoes Puzzle By Andrew Bradburn (Jigsaw)


Cryptic clue puzzle (easy)Cryptic Crossword Puzzle: Rodents?Cryptic SucrosswordokuCryptic crossword (jigsaw puzzle)MIT 1995 Puzzle Hunt: Unsolved “Connecticut Suite” PuzzleWhat xkcd MeansPlot Twist (variety cryptic)The friendly cryptic where nobody has to die!Cryptic with missing capitalsArc (&) Reactors













1












$begingroup$


I came across this apparently well known cryptic crossword with a twist but was unable to solve it. I also haven't been able to find a solution anywhere online so I was wondering if anyone here could help me finish it.

Thanks in advance.



So my question is, can anyone solve this for me and explain the bits I was unable to figure out.



Link to download it.



My attempt so far are in the spoiler boxes if you want to try it with or without using my partial solution.



My grid - not fully correct






*???ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN??
A?SUFISM
GRISLYS?
UONAORTA
EFFLUVIA
*LOFRHP*



My answers with my explanations:




Across

1. ??? - no idea

6. PURITANS - anagram of "aunt rips". Fits definition.

8. LYDIA - hidden in "sparkLY DIAmond" Fits definition.

9. SUFISM - end (ultimately) of belieF IS in SUM (total). Fits definition.

11. GRISLY - double meaning - bear & horror. Not sure what 'Reportedly' means here.

15. AORTA - two (articles) A around half of impORT. The heart is a vessel.

16. EFFLUVIA - (backed up iron) EF chimney (FLU) then not really sure on end part. Maybe answer is EFFLUENT but it fitted worse.

17. first letters of (initially) Reaches Home Plate

Down

1. ??? - not sure.

2. FICUS - ficus benjamin is a species of tree, bejamin=$100. Not completely sure this answer is right.

3. ETA - dined is ATE reversed (wrong way)

4. RANI - anagram of IRAN. Not completely sure of this one.

5. ??? - no clue.

6. PLAGUE - capital of Czech PRAGUE with L replaced with R

7. ??? - not idea. Something with SA in.

10. FLOUR - FOUR (beatles number) with meaning of Last. 'Meal' is a synonym of Flour.

12. ROFL - hidden in useR OF Linux.

13. INFO - IN backwards (back) OF. 'Skinny' is synonym of information.

14. STEP - STEPHEN (composer Sondheim) minus HEN (fowl). 'Step' is a type of 'Measure'.

15. ALF - Double definition: Alf Landon & Alf the 80's sitcom.




Problems/Issues with my answers




FICUS and LYDIA don't fit together right. STEP & EFFLUVIA don't find together right. I know one such thing is allowed and a passing comment discussing this puzzle and many others makes me believe that FICUS/LYDIA is right and makes a ¢ symbol which fits.

Also fitting the words I have done into a 3x20 grid doesn't give me a partial message.











share|improve this question











$endgroup$











  • $begingroup$
    So what's the actual question here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- do you just want the solution?
    $endgroup$
    – Deusovi♦
    52 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    Yes. I'm just after a solution with explanation. Sorry, I'll make that explicit in my question.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    36 mins ago















1












$begingroup$


I came across this apparently well known cryptic crossword with a twist but was unable to solve it. I also haven't been able to find a solution anywhere online so I was wondering if anyone here could help me finish it.

Thanks in advance.



So my question is, can anyone solve this for me and explain the bits I was unable to figure out.



Link to download it.



My attempt so far are in the spoiler boxes if you want to try it with or without using my partial solution.



My grid - not fully correct






*???ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN??
A?SUFISM
GRISLYS?
UONAORTA
EFFLUVIA
*LOFRHP*



My answers with my explanations:




Across

1. ??? - no idea

6. PURITANS - anagram of "aunt rips". Fits definition.

8. LYDIA - hidden in "sparkLY DIAmond" Fits definition.

9. SUFISM - end (ultimately) of belieF IS in SUM (total). Fits definition.

11. GRISLY - double meaning - bear & horror. Not sure what 'Reportedly' means here.

15. AORTA - two (articles) A around half of impORT. The heart is a vessel.

16. EFFLUVIA - (backed up iron) EF chimney (FLU) then not really sure on end part. Maybe answer is EFFLUENT but it fitted worse.

17. first letters of (initially) Reaches Home Plate

Down

1. ??? - not sure.

2. FICUS - ficus benjamin is a species of tree, bejamin=$100. Not completely sure this answer is right.

3. ETA - dined is ATE reversed (wrong way)

4. RANI - anagram of IRAN. Not completely sure of this one.

5. ??? - no clue.

6. PLAGUE - capital of Czech PRAGUE with L replaced with R

7. ??? - not idea. Something with SA in.

10. FLOUR - FOUR (beatles number) with meaning of Last. 'Meal' is a synonym of Flour.

12. ROFL - hidden in useR OF Linux.

13. INFO - IN backwards (back) OF. 'Skinny' is synonym of information.

14. STEP - STEPHEN (composer Sondheim) minus HEN (fowl). 'Step' is a type of 'Measure'.

15. ALF - Double definition: Alf Landon & Alf the 80's sitcom.




Problems/Issues with my answers




FICUS and LYDIA don't fit together right. STEP & EFFLUVIA don't find together right. I know one such thing is allowed and a passing comment discussing this puzzle and many others makes me believe that FICUS/LYDIA is right and makes a ¢ symbol which fits.

Also fitting the words I have done into a 3x20 grid doesn't give me a partial message.











share|improve this question











$endgroup$











  • $begingroup$
    So what's the actual question here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- do you just want the solution?
    $endgroup$
    – Deusovi♦
    52 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    Yes. I'm just after a solution with explanation. Sorry, I'll make that explicit in my question.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    36 mins ago













1












1








1





$begingroup$


I came across this apparently well known cryptic crossword with a twist but was unable to solve it. I also haven't been able to find a solution anywhere online so I was wondering if anyone here could help me finish it.

Thanks in advance.



So my question is, can anyone solve this for me and explain the bits I was unable to figure out.



Link to download it.



My attempt so far are in the spoiler boxes if you want to try it with or without using my partial solution.



My grid - not fully correct






*???ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN??
A?SUFISM
GRISLYS?
UONAORTA
EFFLUVIA
*LOFRHP*



My answers with my explanations:




Across

1. ??? - no idea

6. PURITANS - anagram of "aunt rips". Fits definition.

8. LYDIA - hidden in "sparkLY DIAmond" Fits definition.

9. SUFISM - end (ultimately) of belieF IS in SUM (total). Fits definition.

11. GRISLY - double meaning - bear & horror. Not sure what 'Reportedly' means here.

15. AORTA - two (articles) A around half of impORT. The heart is a vessel.

16. EFFLUVIA - (backed up iron) EF chimney (FLU) then not really sure on end part. Maybe answer is EFFLUENT but it fitted worse.

17. first letters of (initially) Reaches Home Plate

Down

1. ??? - not sure.

2. FICUS - ficus benjamin is a species of tree, bejamin=$100. Not completely sure this answer is right.

3. ETA - dined is ATE reversed (wrong way)

4. RANI - anagram of IRAN. Not completely sure of this one.

5. ??? - no clue.

6. PLAGUE - capital of Czech PRAGUE with L replaced with R

7. ??? - not idea. Something with SA in.

10. FLOUR - FOUR (beatles number) with meaning of Last. 'Meal' is a synonym of Flour.

12. ROFL - hidden in useR OF Linux.

13. INFO - IN backwards (back) OF. 'Skinny' is synonym of information.

14. STEP - STEPHEN (composer Sondheim) minus HEN (fowl). 'Step' is a type of 'Measure'.

15. ALF - Double definition: Alf Landon & Alf the 80's sitcom.




Problems/Issues with my answers




FICUS and LYDIA don't fit together right. STEP & EFFLUVIA don't find together right. I know one such thing is allowed and a passing comment discussing this puzzle and many others makes me believe that FICUS/LYDIA is right and makes a ¢ symbol which fits.

Also fitting the words I have done into a 3x20 grid doesn't give me a partial message.











share|improve this question











$endgroup$




I came across this apparently well known cryptic crossword with a twist but was unable to solve it. I also haven't been able to find a solution anywhere online so I was wondering if anyone here could help me finish it.

Thanks in advance.



So my question is, can anyone solve this for me and explain the bits I was unable to figure out.



Link to download it.



My attempt so far are in the spoiler boxes if you want to try it with or without using my partial solution.



My grid - not fully correct






*???ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN??
A?SUFISM
GRISLYS?
UONAORTA
EFFLUVIA
*LOFRHP*



My answers with my explanations:




Across

1. ??? - no idea

6. PURITANS - anagram of "aunt rips". Fits definition.

8. LYDIA - hidden in "sparkLY DIAmond" Fits definition.

9. SUFISM - end (ultimately) of belieF IS in SUM (total). Fits definition.

11. GRISLY - double meaning - bear & horror. Not sure what 'Reportedly' means here.

15. AORTA - two (articles) A around half of impORT. The heart is a vessel.

16. EFFLUVIA - (backed up iron) EF chimney (FLU) then not really sure on end part. Maybe answer is EFFLUENT but it fitted worse.

17. first letters of (initially) Reaches Home Plate

Down

1. ??? - not sure.

2. FICUS - ficus benjamin is a species of tree, bejamin=$100. Not completely sure this answer is right.

3. ETA - dined is ATE reversed (wrong way)

4. RANI - anagram of IRAN. Not completely sure of this one.

5. ??? - no clue.

6. PLAGUE - capital of Czech PRAGUE with L replaced with R

7. ??? - not idea. Something with SA in.

10. FLOUR - FOUR (beatles number) with meaning of Last. 'Meal' is a synonym of Flour.

12. ROFL - hidden in useR OF Linux.

13. INFO - IN backwards (back) OF. 'Skinny' is synonym of information.

14. STEP - STEPHEN (composer Sondheim) minus HEN (fowl). 'Step' is a type of 'Measure'.

15. ALF - Double definition: Alf Landon & Alf the 80's sitcom.




Problems/Issues with my answers




FICUS and LYDIA don't fit together right. STEP & EFFLUVIA don't find together right. I know one such thing is allowed and a passing comment discussing this puzzle and many others makes me believe that FICUS/LYDIA is right and makes a ¢ symbol which fits.

Also fitting the words I have done into a 3x20 grid doesn't give me a partial message.








cryptic-crosswords unsolved-mysteries






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 35 mins ago







Ian Miller

















asked 3 hours ago









Ian MillerIan Miller

355110




355110











  • $begingroup$
    So what's the actual question here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- do you just want the solution?
    $endgroup$
    – Deusovi♦
    52 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    Yes. I'm just after a solution with explanation. Sorry, I'll make that explicit in my question.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    36 mins ago
















  • $begingroup$
    So what's the actual question here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- do you just want the solution?
    $endgroup$
    – Deusovi♦
    52 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    Yes. I'm just after a solution with explanation. Sorry, I'll make that explicit in my question.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    36 mins ago















$begingroup$
So what's the actual question here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- do you just want the solution?
$endgroup$
– Deusovi♦
52 mins ago




$begingroup$
So what's the actual question here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- do you just want the solution?
$endgroup$
– Deusovi♦
52 mins ago












$begingroup$
Yes. I'm just after a solution with explanation. Sorry, I'll make that explicit in my question.
$endgroup$
– Ian Miller
36 mins ago




$begingroup$
Yes. I'm just after a solution with explanation. Sorry, I'll make that explicit in my question.
$endgroup$
– Ian Miller
36 mins ago










2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















1












$begingroup$

The finished grid is:




enter image description here




Rearranged, this becomes:




enter image description here

where you can see "CAPITAL OF RHODE ISLAND" reading across the bottom.





The clues you're missing:



1A:




Head of Google = G, provided = IF, file format = GIF




11A:




bear = GRIZZLY, "reportedly" is a homophone indicator, making "horror" (GRISLY)




16A:




"Backed-up iron" = EF, chimneys trapping unknown = FLU(X)ES, outflows = EFFLUXES




1D:




"Appearence" = GUISE, "speaking" is a homophone indicator, making GUYS ("men's")




2D:




Loud = F (as in musical notation), one = I, American = US, "hiding" C: this makes FICUS




5D:




"Repairs" = MENDS; "first off", that is ENDS, which is "remnants"




7D:




"What Wharton confers" = MBAS (as in the degrees). After S.A., this makes SAMBAS.







share|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thanks heaps for the explanation on those. A few of those I hadn't seen before. Also I had the wrong arrangement of the 3x20 which wasn't letting me get all the final message - I had "f Rhode Isl" but the rest didn't work.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    22 mins ago


















1












$begingroup$

1 down:




GUYS (defn: men's, sounds like guise=appearance)




7 down:




SAMBAS, multiple Samba(dance), SA+MBA's (from Wharton School)




14 down:




STEP (stepHEN (fowl) Sondheim)




16 across:




EFFLUVES (multiple EFFLUVE=outflow,v EF+FLU+_+ES (chimneys=FLUES, unknown (as in variable? = V)




New Grid:






*G??ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN?A
ASSUFISM
GRISLYSB
UONAORTA
EFFLUVES
*LOFRHP*






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thanks. Great progress so far.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    33 mins ago











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "559"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f83300%2fprovidence-pentominoes-puzzle-by-andrew-bradburn-jigsaw%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes








2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









1












$begingroup$

The finished grid is:




enter image description here




Rearranged, this becomes:




enter image description here

where you can see "CAPITAL OF RHODE ISLAND" reading across the bottom.





The clues you're missing:



1A:




Head of Google = G, provided = IF, file format = GIF




11A:




bear = GRIZZLY, "reportedly" is a homophone indicator, making "horror" (GRISLY)




16A:




"Backed-up iron" = EF, chimneys trapping unknown = FLU(X)ES, outflows = EFFLUXES




1D:




"Appearence" = GUISE, "speaking" is a homophone indicator, making GUYS ("men's")




2D:




Loud = F (as in musical notation), one = I, American = US, "hiding" C: this makes FICUS




5D:




"Repairs" = MENDS; "first off", that is ENDS, which is "remnants"




7D:




"What Wharton confers" = MBAS (as in the degrees). After S.A., this makes SAMBAS.







share|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thanks heaps for the explanation on those. A few of those I hadn't seen before. Also I had the wrong arrangement of the 3x20 which wasn't letting me get all the final message - I had "f Rhode Isl" but the rest didn't work.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    22 mins ago















1












$begingroup$

The finished grid is:




enter image description here




Rearranged, this becomes:




enter image description here

where you can see "CAPITAL OF RHODE ISLAND" reading across the bottom.





The clues you're missing:



1A:




Head of Google = G, provided = IF, file format = GIF




11A:




bear = GRIZZLY, "reportedly" is a homophone indicator, making "horror" (GRISLY)




16A:




"Backed-up iron" = EF, chimneys trapping unknown = FLU(X)ES, outflows = EFFLUXES




1D:




"Appearence" = GUISE, "speaking" is a homophone indicator, making GUYS ("men's")




2D:




Loud = F (as in musical notation), one = I, American = US, "hiding" C: this makes FICUS




5D:




"Repairs" = MENDS; "first off", that is ENDS, which is "remnants"




7D:




"What Wharton confers" = MBAS (as in the degrees). After S.A., this makes SAMBAS.







share|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thanks heaps for the explanation on those. A few of those I hadn't seen before. Also I had the wrong arrangement of the 3x20 which wasn't letting me get all the final message - I had "f Rhode Isl" but the rest didn't work.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    22 mins ago













1












1








1





$begingroup$

The finished grid is:




enter image description here




Rearranged, this becomes:




enter image description here

where you can see "CAPITAL OF RHODE ISLAND" reading across the bottom.





The clues you're missing:



1A:




Head of Google = G, provided = IF, file format = GIF




11A:




bear = GRIZZLY, "reportedly" is a homophone indicator, making "horror" (GRISLY)




16A:




"Backed-up iron" = EF, chimneys trapping unknown = FLU(X)ES, outflows = EFFLUXES




1D:




"Appearence" = GUISE, "speaking" is a homophone indicator, making GUYS ("men's")




2D:




Loud = F (as in musical notation), one = I, American = US, "hiding" C: this makes FICUS




5D:




"Repairs" = MENDS; "first off", that is ENDS, which is "remnants"




7D:




"What Wharton confers" = MBAS (as in the degrees). After S.A., this makes SAMBAS.







share|improve this answer









$endgroup$



The finished grid is:




enter image description here




Rearranged, this becomes:




enter image description here

where you can see "CAPITAL OF RHODE ISLAND" reading across the bottom.





The clues you're missing:



1A:




Head of Google = G, provided = IF, file format = GIF




11A:




bear = GRIZZLY, "reportedly" is a homophone indicator, making "horror" (GRISLY)




16A:




"Backed-up iron" = EF, chimneys trapping unknown = FLU(X)ES, outflows = EFFLUXES




1D:




"Appearence" = GUISE, "speaking" is a homophone indicator, making GUYS ("men's")




2D:




Loud = F (as in musical notation), one = I, American = US, "hiding" C: this makes FICUS




5D:




"Repairs" = MENDS; "first off", that is ENDS, which is "remnants"




7D:




"What Wharton confers" = MBAS (as in the degrees). After S.A., this makes SAMBAS.








share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered 28 mins ago









Deusovi♦Deusovi

63.6k6217275




63.6k6217275











  • $begingroup$
    Thanks heaps for the explanation on those. A few of those I hadn't seen before. Also I had the wrong arrangement of the 3x20 which wasn't letting me get all the final message - I had "f Rhode Isl" but the rest didn't work.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    22 mins ago
















  • $begingroup$
    Thanks heaps for the explanation on those. A few of those I hadn't seen before. Also I had the wrong arrangement of the 3x20 which wasn't letting me get all the final message - I had "f Rhode Isl" but the rest didn't work.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    22 mins ago















$begingroup$
Thanks heaps for the explanation on those. A few of those I hadn't seen before. Also I had the wrong arrangement of the 3x20 which wasn't letting me get all the final message - I had "f Rhode Isl" but the rest didn't work.
$endgroup$
– Ian Miller
22 mins ago




$begingroup$
Thanks heaps for the explanation on those. A few of those I hadn't seen before. Also I had the wrong arrangement of the 3x20 which wasn't letting me get all the final message - I had "f Rhode Isl" but the rest didn't work.
$endgroup$
– Ian Miller
22 mins ago











1












$begingroup$

1 down:




GUYS (defn: men's, sounds like guise=appearance)




7 down:




SAMBAS, multiple Samba(dance), SA+MBA's (from Wharton School)




14 down:




STEP (stepHEN (fowl) Sondheim)




16 across:




EFFLUVES (multiple EFFLUVE=outflow,v EF+FLU+_+ES (chimneys=FLUES, unknown (as in variable? = V)




New Grid:






*G??ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN?A
ASSUFISM
GRISLYSB
UONAORTA
EFFLUVES
*LOFRHP*






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thanks. Great progress so far.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    33 mins ago















1












$begingroup$

1 down:




GUYS (defn: men's, sounds like guise=appearance)




7 down:




SAMBAS, multiple Samba(dance), SA+MBA's (from Wharton School)




14 down:




STEP (stepHEN (fowl) Sondheim)




16 across:




EFFLUVES (multiple EFFLUVE=outflow,v EF+FLU+_+ES (chimneys=FLUES, unknown (as in variable? = V)




New Grid:






*G??ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN?A
ASSUFISM
GRISLYSB
UONAORTA
EFFLUVES
*LOFRHP*






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Thanks. Great progress so far.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    33 mins ago













1












1








1





$begingroup$

1 down:




GUYS (defn: men's, sounds like guise=appearance)




7 down:




SAMBAS, multiple Samba(dance), SA+MBA's (from Wharton School)




14 down:




STEP (stepHEN (fowl) Sondheim)




16 across:




EFFLUVES (multiple EFFLUVE=outflow,v EF+FLU+_+ES (chimneys=FLUES, unknown (as in variable? = V)




New Grid:






*G??ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN?A
ASSUFISM
GRISLYSB
UONAORTA
EFFLUVES
*LOFRHP*






share|improve this answer











$endgroup$



1 down:




GUYS (defn: men's, sounds like guise=appearance)




7 down:




SAMBAS, multiple Samba(dance), SA+MBA's (from Wharton School)




14 down:




STEP (stepHEN (fowl) Sondheim)




16 across:




EFFLUVES (multiple EFFLUVE=outflow,v EF+FLU+_+ES (chimneys=FLUES, unknown (as in variable? = V)




New Grid:






*G??ER?*
PURITANS
LYDIAN?A
ASSUFISM
GRISLYSB
UONAORTA
EFFLUVES
*LOFRHP*







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited 50 mins ago

























answered 2 hours ago









JonMark PerryJonMark Perry

21k64199




21k64199











  • $begingroup$
    Thanks. Great progress so far.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    33 mins ago
















  • $begingroup$
    Thanks. Great progress so far.
    $endgroup$
    – Ian Miller
    33 mins ago















$begingroup$
Thanks. Great progress so far.
$endgroup$
– Ian Miller
33 mins ago




$begingroup$
Thanks. Great progress so far.
$endgroup$
– Ian Miller
33 mins ago

















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Puzzling Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f83300%2fprovidence-pentominoes-puzzle-by-andrew-bradburn-jigsaw%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e