The Two and the OneThe egocentric oneFood for thought, or otherwiseAnother riddle, two twinsThe answer is… What?Add two more and you'll have me - Clue ThirteenHELP! What's the password for my safe?A hex upon the one who proclaims my guilt!What is the name of this puzzle?A relaxing glass of ShirazWhat is the magic ball of every day?

Accidentally leaked the solution to an assignment, what to do now? (I'm the prof)

Prove that NP is closed under karp reduction?

How does strength of boric acid solution increase in presence of salicylic acid?

Has the BBC provided arguments for saying Brexit being cancelled is unlikely?

Can divisibility rules for digits be generalized to sum of digits

Problem of parity - Can we draw a closed path made up of 20 line segments...

Theorem, big Paralist and Amsart

Why "Having chlorophyll without photosynthesis is actually very dangerous" and "like living with a bomb"?

What are the differences between the usage of 'it' and 'they'?

Which models of the Boeing 737 are still in production?

can i play a electric guitar through a bass amp?

In Japanese, what’s the difference between “Tonari ni” (となりに) and “Tsugi” (つぎ)? When would you use one over the other?

How can I prevent hyper evolved versions of regular creatures from wiping out their cousins?

What does it mean to describe someone as a butt steak?

Example of a continuous function that don't have a continuous extension

If I cast Expeditious Retreat, can I Dash as a bonus action on the same turn?

Why Is Death Allowed In the Matrix?

What is the offset in a seaplane's hull?

Why can't I see bouncing of a switch on an oscilloscope?

Do I have a twin with permutated remainders?

Service Entrance Breakers Rain Shield

Smoothness of finite-dimensional functional calculus

How did the USSR manage to innovate in an environment characterized by government censorship and high bureaucracy?

How can I make my BBEG immortal short of making them a Lich or Vampire?



The Two and the One


The egocentric oneFood for thought, or otherwiseAnother riddle, two twinsThe answer is… What?Add two more and you'll have me - Clue ThirteenHELP! What's the password for my safe?A hex upon the one who proclaims my guilt!What is the name of this puzzle?A relaxing glass of ShirazWhat is the magic ball of every day?













1












$begingroup$



I am the two and the one.



I give life, hold life, fill life,



But I also kill - and hide - and steal.



I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!



I am the two and the one.



Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.



One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.



I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.



I am the two and the one.



Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.



Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.



I would simply keep going, and going, and going.



Forever and ever.



Endlessly.




The direct answer might not be too hard, but finding how all of the clues fit might be harder - and is a point of the puzzle. Enjoy!.










share|improve this question









$endgroup$
















    1












    $begingroup$



    I am the two and the one.



    I give life, hold life, fill life,



    But I also kill - and hide - and steal.



    I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!



    I am the two and the one.



    Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.



    One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.



    I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.



    I am the two and the one.



    Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.



    Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.



    I would simply keep going, and going, and going.



    Forever and ever.



    Endlessly.




    The direct answer might not be too hard, but finding how all of the clues fit might be harder - and is a point of the puzzle. Enjoy!.










    share|improve this question









    $endgroup$














      1












      1








      1





      $begingroup$



      I am the two and the one.



      I give life, hold life, fill life,



      But I also kill - and hide - and steal.



      I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!



      I am the two and the one.



      Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.



      One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.



      I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.



      I am the two and the one.



      Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.



      Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.



      I would simply keep going, and going, and going.



      Forever and ever.



      Endlessly.




      The direct answer might not be too hard, but finding how all of the clues fit might be harder - and is a point of the puzzle. Enjoy!.










      share|improve this question









      $endgroup$





      I am the two and the one.



      I give life, hold life, fill life,



      But I also kill - and hide - and steal.



      I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!



      I am the two and the one.



      Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.



      One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.



      I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.



      I am the two and the one.



      Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.



      Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.



      I would simply keep going, and going, and going.



      Forever and ever.



      Endlessly.




      The direct answer might not be too hard, but finding how all of the clues fit might be harder - and is a point of the puzzle. Enjoy!.







      riddle word wordplay steganography poetry






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked 5 hours ago









      Brandon_JBrandon_J

      3,521244




      3,521244




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          2












          $begingroup$

          I think you are




          water.




          The two and the one are




          hydrogen and oxygen, respectively.




          I give life, hold life, fill life,




          All living things on our planet depend on water. (I think.) Many things live in water -- fish, whales, seaweed, etc. And of course we're all mostly water.




          But I also kill - and hide - and steal.




          You can drown. Not sure how specific "hide" and "steal" are here; e.g., things at the bottom of the sea are pretty inaccessible, and things can be carried off by the tide.




          I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!




          A few metres down, perhaps.




          Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.




          Hydrogen is the simplest of all chemical elements. Not sure why it's especially "active" or "friendly", though.




          One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.




          OX + Y + GEN.




          I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.




          Cerebrospinal fluid, in addition to the water inside every cell in your body.




          Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.

          Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.




          Water has nothing much to be afraid of. Also, there's a bit of steganography here: were a terrible enemy rising.




          I would simply keep going, and going, and going.

          Forever and ever.

          Endlessly.




          Seems a bit of an exaggeration. Probably no more than a few billion years here on earth.







          share|improve this answer











          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            I wondered whether that was what you meant by "active" and "friendly" but it wasn't clear to me why it applied (e.g.) any more to the Two than to the One.
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Well, I found one instance of that tag. Haven't checked whether there are more. (No more that work the same way, I think.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Checkmark coming soon. Just want to let this question get a few more views, if that's alright with you.
            $endgroup$
            – Brandon_J
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Feel free! (The longer it stays open, the more precious precious upvotes my answer can get, I suppose.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago











          Your Answer





          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
          StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
          StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
          );
          );
          , "mathjax-editing");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "559"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: false,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: null,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          noCode: true, onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f81481%2fthe-two-and-the-one%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          2












          $begingroup$

          I think you are




          water.




          The two and the one are




          hydrogen and oxygen, respectively.




          I give life, hold life, fill life,




          All living things on our planet depend on water. (I think.) Many things live in water -- fish, whales, seaweed, etc. And of course we're all mostly water.




          But I also kill - and hide - and steal.




          You can drown. Not sure how specific "hide" and "steal" are here; e.g., things at the bottom of the sea are pretty inaccessible, and things can be carried off by the tide.




          I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!




          A few metres down, perhaps.




          Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.




          Hydrogen is the simplest of all chemical elements. Not sure why it's especially "active" or "friendly", though.




          One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.




          OX + Y + GEN.




          I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.




          Cerebrospinal fluid, in addition to the water inside every cell in your body.




          Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.

          Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.




          Water has nothing much to be afraid of. Also, there's a bit of steganography here: were a terrible enemy rising.




          I would simply keep going, and going, and going.

          Forever and ever.

          Endlessly.




          Seems a bit of an exaggeration. Probably no more than a few billion years here on earth.







          share|improve this answer











          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            I wondered whether that was what you meant by "active" and "friendly" but it wasn't clear to me why it applied (e.g.) any more to the Two than to the One.
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Well, I found one instance of that tag. Haven't checked whether there are more. (No more that work the same way, I think.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Checkmark coming soon. Just want to let this question get a few more views, if that's alright with you.
            $endgroup$
            – Brandon_J
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Feel free! (The longer it stays open, the more precious precious upvotes my answer can get, I suppose.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago















          2












          $begingroup$

          I think you are




          water.




          The two and the one are




          hydrogen and oxygen, respectively.




          I give life, hold life, fill life,




          All living things on our planet depend on water. (I think.) Many things live in water -- fish, whales, seaweed, etc. And of course we're all mostly water.




          But I also kill - and hide - and steal.




          You can drown. Not sure how specific "hide" and "steal" are here; e.g., things at the bottom of the sea are pretty inaccessible, and things can be carried off by the tide.




          I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!




          A few metres down, perhaps.




          Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.




          Hydrogen is the simplest of all chemical elements. Not sure why it's especially "active" or "friendly", though.




          One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.




          OX + Y + GEN.




          I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.




          Cerebrospinal fluid, in addition to the water inside every cell in your body.




          Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.

          Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.




          Water has nothing much to be afraid of. Also, there's a bit of steganography here: were a terrible enemy rising.




          I would simply keep going, and going, and going.

          Forever and ever.

          Endlessly.




          Seems a bit of an exaggeration. Probably no more than a few billion years here on earth.







          share|improve this answer











          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            I wondered whether that was what you meant by "active" and "friendly" but it wasn't clear to me why it applied (e.g.) any more to the Two than to the One.
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Well, I found one instance of that tag. Haven't checked whether there are more. (No more that work the same way, I think.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Checkmark coming soon. Just want to let this question get a few more views, if that's alright with you.
            $endgroup$
            – Brandon_J
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Feel free! (The longer it stays open, the more precious precious upvotes my answer can get, I suppose.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago













          2












          2








          2





          $begingroup$

          I think you are




          water.




          The two and the one are




          hydrogen and oxygen, respectively.




          I give life, hold life, fill life,




          All living things on our planet depend on water. (I think.) Many things live in water -- fish, whales, seaweed, etc. And of course we're all mostly water.




          But I also kill - and hide - and steal.




          You can drown. Not sure how specific "hide" and "steal" are here; e.g., things at the bottom of the sea are pretty inaccessible, and things can be carried off by the tide.




          I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!




          A few metres down, perhaps.




          Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.




          Hydrogen is the simplest of all chemical elements. Not sure why it's especially "active" or "friendly", though.




          One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.




          OX + Y + GEN.




          I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.




          Cerebrospinal fluid, in addition to the water inside every cell in your body.




          Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.

          Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.




          Water has nothing much to be afraid of. Also, there's a bit of steganography here: were a terrible enemy rising.




          I would simply keep going, and going, and going.

          Forever and ever.

          Endlessly.




          Seems a bit of an exaggeration. Probably no more than a few billion years here on earth.







          share|improve this answer











          $endgroup$



          I think you are




          water.




          The two and the one are




          hydrogen and oxygen, respectively.




          I give life, hold life, fill life,




          All living things on our planet depend on water. (I think.) Many things live in water -- fish, whales, seaweed, etc. And of course we're all mostly water.




          But I also kill - and hide - and steal.




          You can drown. Not sure how specific "hide" and "steal" are here; e.g., things at the bottom of the sea are pretty inaccessible, and things can be carried off by the tide.




          I'm in your backyard - go look, I'm there!




          A few metres down, perhaps.




          Two of the simple, the active, the friendly.




          Hydrogen is the simplest of all chemical elements. Not sure why it's especially "active" or "friendly", though.




          One with cattle, the Spanish, and the generation.




          OX + Y + GEN.




          I'm inside your head - don't look - that would be kind of dumb, not to mention painful. Seriously.




          Cerebrospinal fluid, in addition to the water inside every cell in your body.




          Were a terrible enemy rising, I would not quail.

          Should a deadly foe come, I would have no fear.




          Water has nothing much to be afraid of. Also, there's a bit of steganography here: were a terrible enemy rising.




          I would simply keep going, and going, and going.

          Forever and ever.

          Endlessly.




          Seems a bit of an exaggeration. Probably no more than a few billion years here on earth.








          share|improve this answer














          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer








          edited 4 hours ago

























          answered 4 hours ago









          Gareth McCaughan♦Gareth McCaughan

          66.7k3169260




          66.7k3169260











          • $begingroup$
            I wondered whether that was what you meant by "active" and "friendly" but it wasn't clear to me why it applied (e.g.) any more to the Two than to the One.
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Well, I found one instance of that tag. Haven't checked whether there are more. (No more that work the same way, I think.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Checkmark coming soon. Just want to let this question get a few more views, if that's alright with you.
            $endgroup$
            – Brandon_J
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Feel free! (The longer it stays open, the more precious precious upvotes my answer can get, I suppose.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago
















          • $begingroup$
            I wondered whether that was what you meant by "active" and "friendly" but it wasn't clear to me why it applied (e.g.) any more to the Two than to the One.
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Well, I found one instance of that tag. Haven't checked whether there are more. (No more that work the same way, I think.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Checkmark coming soon. Just want to let this question get a few more views, if that's alright with you.
            $endgroup$
            – Brandon_J
            4 hours ago










          • $begingroup$
            Feel free! (The longer it stays open, the more precious precious upvotes my answer can get, I suppose.)
            $endgroup$
            – Gareth McCaughan♦
            4 hours ago















          $begingroup$
          I wondered whether that was what you meant by "active" and "friendly" but it wasn't clear to me why it applied (e.g.) any more to the Two than to the One.
          $endgroup$
          – Gareth McCaughan♦
          4 hours ago




          $begingroup$
          I wondered whether that was what you meant by "active" and "friendly" but it wasn't clear to me why it applied (e.g.) any more to the Two than to the One.
          $endgroup$
          – Gareth McCaughan♦
          4 hours ago












          $begingroup$
          Well, I found one instance of that tag. Haven't checked whether there are more. (No more that work the same way, I think.)
          $endgroup$
          – Gareth McCaughan♦
          4 hours ago





          $begingroup$
          Well, I found one instance of that tag. Haven't checked whether there are more. (No more that work the same way, I think.)
          $endgroup$
          – Gareth McCaughan♦
          4 hours ago













          $begingroup$
          Checkmark coming soon. Just want to let this question get a few more views, if that's alright with you.
          $endgroup$
          – Brandon_J
          4 hours ago




          $begingroup$
          Checkmark coming soon. Just want to let this question get a few more views, if that's alright with you.
          $endgroup$
          – Brandon_J
          4 hours ago












          $begingroup$
          Feel free! (The longer it stays open, the more precious precious upvotes my answer can get, I suppose.)
          $endgroup$
          – Gareth McCaughan♦
          4 hours ago




          $begingroup$
          Feel free! (The longer it stays open, the more precious precious upvotes my answer can get, I suppose.)
          $endgroup$
          – Gareth McCaughan♦
          4 hours ago

















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Puzzling Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f81481%2fthe-two-and-the-one%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

          Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

          When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e