Unexpected email from Yorkshire BankOffline brute-forcing of a bank card PINBank Fraud DepositHow can I convince my customers not to send Credit Card data over email?Bank Has Emailed My Social Security NumberIs it safe to rely on email address from 3rd party identity provider?Is there more of a security risk by providing an email when creating a new account?Isn't the BBC being extremely irresponsible in describing how to authenticate an account-related email?I can send an email from your email account without your permission. How is this possible?UK online bank card reader identification entropyStoring bank account details securely

How to pronounce 'C++' in Spanish

a sore throat vs a strep throat vs strep throat

How to make a pipeline wait for end-of-file or stop after an error?

How to verbalise code in Mathematica?

Why do games have consumables?

Is there a way to get a compiler for the original B programming language?

Realistic Necromancy?

Can I spend a night at Vancouver then take a flight to my college in Toronto as an international student?

How to solve constants out of the internal energy equation?

Do I have an "anti-research" personality?

Examples of subgroups where it's nontrivial to show closure under multiplication?

Is there really no use for MD5 anymore?

Was there a shared-world project before "Thieves World"?

Why isn't the definition of absolute value applied when squaring a radical containing a variable?

Critique of timeline aesthetic

What does it mean to express a gate in Dirac notation?

How exactly does Hawking radiation decrease the mass of black holes?

Don’t seats that recline flat defeat the purpose of having seatbelts?

How can I practically buy stocks?

Why other Westeros houses don't use wildfire?

How can Republicans who favour free markets, consistently express anger when they don't like the outcome of that choice?

How can I place the product on a social media post better?

The Defining Moment

How to have a sharp product image?



Unexpected email from Yorkshire Bank


Offline brute-forcing of a bank card PINBank Fraud DepositHow can I convince my customers not to send Credit Card data over email?Bank Has Emailed My Social Security NumberIs it safe to rely on email address from 3rd party identity provider?Is there more of a security risk by providing an email when creating a new account?Isn't the BBC being extremely irresponsible in describing how to authenticate an account-related email?I can send an email from your email account without your permission. How is this possible?UK online bank card reader identification entropyStoring bank account details securely






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








1















I have started receiving unexpected emails from Yorkshire Bank.



I have never been a customer. I don't recall applying for any of their products either, although maybe I did many years ago.



The first of the strange emails reads:




Your partial postcode is 8NX



We've included your postcode at the top so you can be sure this email
is from Yorkshire Bank. To see how you can stay safe online, visit the
Security Centre



We've sent your Authentication Code Letter



Hi Mr Stewart,



You should have received our letter that contains an authentication
code by now.



Once you've got our letter, you can confirm the code by clicking on
the button below to get back to your application, and then follow the
instructions. This will allow us to progress with your application.




The sender appears to be legitimately email.yorkshirebank.co.uk, but the 8NX is NOT part of my postcode in any way.



There have been 3 following emails, of an advertising nature.



I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.



My main concern is that my identity has been stolen for the purpose of procuring Yorkshire Bank products, such as a loan, which I may be chased for when the identity thief defaults.



Is this likely or even possible?



What other explanation might there be?










share|improve this question




























    1















    I have started receiving unexpected emails from Yorkshire Bank.



    I have never been a customer. I don't recall applying for any of their products either, although maybe I did many years ago.



    The first of the strange emails reads:




    Your partial postcode is 8NX



    We've included your postcode at the top so you can be sure this email
    is from Yorkshire Bank. To see how you can stay safe online, visit the
    Security Centre



    We've sent your Authentication Code Letter



    Hi Mr Stewart,



    You should have received our letter that contains an authentication
    code by now.



    Once you've got our letter, you can confirm the code by clicking on
    the button below to get back to your application, and then follow the
    instructions. This will allow us to progress with your application.




    The sender appears to be legitimately email.yorkshirebank.co.uk, but the 8NX is NOT part of my postcode in any way.



    There have been 3 following emails, of an advertising nature.



    I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.



    My main concern is that my identity has been stolen for the purpose of procuring Yorkshire Bank products, such as a loan, which I may be chased for when the identity thief defaults.



    Is this likely or even possible?



    What other explanation might there be?










    share|improve this question
























      1












      1








      1








      I have started receiving unexpected emails from Yorkshire Bank.



      I have never been a customer. I don't recall applying for any of their products either, although maybe I did many years ago.



      The first of the strange emails reads:




      Your partial postcode is 8NX



      We've included your postcode at the top so you can be sure this email
      is from Yorkshire Bank. To see how you can stay safe online, visit the
      Security Centre



      We've sent your Authentication Code Letter



      Hi Mr Stewart,



      You should have received our letter that contains an authentication
      code by now.



      Once you've got our letter, you can confirm the code by clicking on
      the button below to get back to your application, and then follow the
      instructions. This will allow us to progress with your application.




      The sender appears to be legitimately email.yorkshirebank.co.uk, but the 8NX is NOT part of my postcode in any way.



      There have been 3 following emails, of an advertising nature.



      I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.



      My main concern is that my identity has been stolen for the purpose of procuring Yorkshire Bank products, such as a loan, which I may be chased for when the identity thief defaults.



      Is this likely or even possible?



      What other explanation might there be?










      share|improve this question














      I have started receiving unexpected emails from Yorkshire Bank.



      I have never been a customer. I don't recall applying for any of their products either, although maybe I did many years ago.



      The first of the strange emails reads:




      Your partial postcode is 8NX



      We've included your postcode at the top so you can be sure this email
      is from Yorkshire Bank. To see how you can stay safe online, visit the
      Security Centre



      We've sent your Authentication Code Letter



      Hi Mr Stewart,



      You should have received our letter that contains an authentication
      code by now.



      Once you've got our letter, you can confirm the code by clicking on
      the button below to get back to your application, and then follow the
      instructions. This will allow us to progress with your application.




      The sender appears to be legitimately email.yorkshirebank.co.uk, but the 8NX is NOT part of my postcode in any way.



      There have been 3 following emails, of an advertising nature.



      I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.



      My main concern is that my identity has been stolen for the purpose of procuring Yorkshire Bank products, such as a loan, which I may be chased for when the identity thief defaults.



      Is this likely or even possible?



      What other explanation might there be?







      email banks identity-theft






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked 4 hours ago









      StewartStewart

      1084




      1084




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          3















          I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.




          If you feel that ignoring this is wrong, look up the bank's phone number from a reputable source, e.g. yellow pages or the banks actual website. Call them, and ask. Or submit a contact form on their website, or similar - in short, contact them through a channel not related to the e-mail and ask them to verify the content.



          Do not use the links in the e-mail.



          If it's identity fraud, they will be very interested to clear it up. If it's phishing, banks tends to like to be made aware of ongoing phishing attempts, so they will not be angry with you for calling.






          share|improve this answer























            Your Answer








            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "162"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: false,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: null,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader:
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            ,
            noCode: true, onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsecurity.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f209126%2funexpected-email-from-yorkshire-bank%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown

























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes









            3















            I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.




            If you feel that ignoring this is wrong, look up the bank's phone number from a reputable source, e.g. yellow pages or the banks actual website. Call them, and ask. Or submit a contact form on their website, or similar - in short, contact them through a channel not related to the e-mail and ask them to verify the content.



            Do not use the links in the e-mail.



            If it's identity fraud, they will be very interested to clear it up. If it's phishing, banks tends to like to be made aware of ongoing phishing attempts, so they will not be angry with you for calling.






            share|improve this answer



























              3















              I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.




              If you feel that ignoring this is wrong, look up the bank's phone number from a reputable source, e.g. yellow pages or the banks actual website. Call them, and ask. Or submit a contact form on their website, or similar - in short, contact them through a channel not related to the e-mail and ask them to verify the content.



              Do not use the links in the e-mail.



              If it's identity fraud, they will be very interested to clear it up. If it's phishing, banks tends to like to be made aware of ongoing phishing attempts, so they will not be angry with you for calling.






              share|improve this answer

























                3












                3








                3








                I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.




                If you feel that ignoring this is wrong, look up the bank's phone number from a reputable source, e.g. yellow pages or the banks actual website. Call them, and ask. Or submit a contact form on their website, or similar - in short, contact them through a channel not related to the e-mail and ask them to verify the content.



                Do not use the links in the e-mail.



                If it's identity fraud, they will be very interested to clear it up. If it's phishing, banks tends to like to be made aware of ongoing phishing attempts, so they will not be angry with you for calling.






                share|improve this answer














                I feel that ignoring would be the wrong thing to do, but I'm not sure what to do.




                If you feel that ignoring this is wrong, look up the bank's phone number from a reputable source, e.g. yellow pages or the banks actual website. Call them, and ask. Or submit a contact form on their website, or similar - in short, contact them through a channel not related to the e-mail and ask them to verify the content.



                Do not use the links in the e-mail.



                If it's identity fraud, they will be very interested to clear it up. If it's phishing, banks tends to like to be made aware of ongoing phishing attempts, so they will not be angry with you for calling.







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered 2 hours ago









                vidarlovidarlo

                3,929823




                3,929823



























                    draft saved

                    draft discarded
















































                    Thanks for contributing an answer to Information Security Stack Exchange!


                    • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                    But avoid …


                    • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                    • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                    To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsecurity.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f209126%2funexpected-email-from-yorkshire-bank%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest















                    Required, but never shown





















































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown

































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown







                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

                    Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

                    When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e