I probably found a bug with the sudo apt install functionDefault path changed after uninstalling python and reinstalling ubuntu-desktopMust execute “sudo su” and then do apt-get update/upgrade/install, prefacing with sudo doesn't workRedirected OutputThe colors when doing “ls” at my ubuntu server diappeared just like thatError with sudo apt-get -f install (ldconfig not found)How can i fix my Terminal login issue?Command not found: apt-getHow to restore after accidentally apt-get remove pythonI am having a problem with the package manager on 18.04 LTSsudo: apt: command not found

Email Account under attack (really) - anything I can do?

Type 1 Error & Type 2 Error's pregnancy test analogy: is it legit?

Infinite past with a beginning?

Is there really no realistic way for a skeleton monster to move around without magic?

Why is an old chain unsafe?

A newer friend of my brother's gave him a load of baseball cards that are supposedly extremely valuable. Is this a scam?

Is there a familial term for apples and pears?

What is the command to reset a PC without deleting any files

A function which translates a sentence to title-case

The magic money tree problem

XeLaTeX and pdfLaTeX ignore hyphenation

How to re-create Edward Weson's Pepper No. 30?

DOS, create pipe for stdin/stdout of command.com(or 4dos.com) in C or Batch?

How can bays and straits be determined in a procedurally generated map?

How can the DM most effectively choose 1 out of an odd number of players to be targeted by an attack or effect?

Dragon forelimb placement

What do you call something that goes against the spirit of the law, but is legal when interpreting the law to the letter?

Why is "Reports" in sentence down without "The"

Why are 150k or 200k jobs considered good when there are 300k+ births a month?

Why has Russell's definition of numbers using equivalence classes been finally abandoned? ( If it has actually been abandoned).

Copenhagen passport control - US citizen

I probably found a bug with the sudo apt install function

"You are your self first supporter", a more proper way to say it

If I cast Expeditious Retreat, can I Dash as a bonus action on the same turn?



I probably found a bug with the sudo apt install function


Default path changed after uninstalling python and reinstalling ubuntu-desktopMust execute “sudo su” and then do apt-get update/upgrade/install, prefacing with sudo doesn't workRedirected OutputThe colors when doing “ls” at my ubuntu server diappeared just like thatError with sudo apt-get -f install (ldconfig not found)How can i fix my Terminal login issue?Command not found: apt-getHow to restore after accidentally apt-get remove pythonI am having a problem with the package manager on 18.04 LTSsudo: apt: command not found






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








3















While is was installing something with the sudo apt-get install command I accidentally accepted the command



sudo apt-get install python3-


(yeah I know it is stupid to just accept this but I did a lot of those and i just continued to click y).



By executing the command I deleted my whole visual desktop of Ubuntu (I just had the plain shell but I recovered the visual desktop by now). I don't know if I am just stupid but nevertheless I want to create awareness that you shouldn't use the command.



If you can explain to me why happened what happened feel free to explain it to me.










share|improve this question









New contributor




Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.


























    3















    While is was installing something with the sudo apt-get install command I accidentally accepted the command



    sudo apt-get install python3-


    (yeah I know it is stupid to just accept this but I did a lot of those and i just continued to click y).



    By executing the command I deleted my whole visual desktop of Ubuntu (I just had the plain shell but I recovered the visual desktop by now). I don't know if I am just stupid but nevertheless I want to create awareness that you shouldn't use the command.



    If you can explain to me why happened what happened feel free to explain it to me.










    share|improve this question









    New contributor




    Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
    Check out our Code of Conduct.






















      3












      3








      3








      While is was installing something with the sudo apt-get install command I accidentally accepted the command



      sudo apt-get install python3-


      (yeah I know it is stupid to just accept this but I did a lot of those and i just continued to click y).



      By executing the command I deleted my whole visual desktop of Ubuntu (I just had the plain shell but I recovered the visual desktop by now). I don't know if I am just stupid but nevertheless I want to create awareness that you shouldn't use the command.



      If you can explain to me why happened what happened feel free to explain it to me.










      share|improve this question









      New contributor




      Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.












      While is was installing something with the sudo apt-get install command I accidentally accepted the command



      sudo apt-get install python3-


      (yeah I know it is stupid to just accept this but I did a lot of those and i just continued to click y).



      By executing the command I deleted my whole visual desktop of Ubuntu (I just had the plain shell but I recovered the visual desktop by now). I don't know if I am just stupid but nevertheless I want to create awareness that you shouldn't use the command.



      If you can explain to me why happened what happened feel free to explain it to me.







      command-line apt






      share|improve this question









      New contributor




      Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.











      share|improve this question









      New contributor




      Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.









      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited 1 hour ago









      heemayl

      68k11142214




      68k11142214






      New contributor




      Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.









      asked 1 hour ago









      Mettigel4_1Mettigel4_1

      161




      161




      New contributor




      Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.





      New contributor





      Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.






      Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.




















          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          7














          This is not a bug; this is documented in the man page. From man apt-get's install section1 (emphasis mine):




          If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install.




          So, when you did:



          sudo apt-get install python3-


          you've removed the python3 package and all the dependent packages (which includes the packages you mentioned).




          Fix:



          To re-install the removed packages, go to /var/log/apt/history.log, pick the packages, and run sudo apt-get install on them.



          You might also want to peek into /var/log/dpkg.log.




          1 If you have less as the man pager, you can go to the install section of man apt-get directly:



          LESS='+/^[[:blank:]]+install' man apt-get





          share|improve this answer
































            4














            No, you didn't find a bug. From man apt-get:




            If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be used to override decisions made by apt-get's conflict resolution system.




            It's intentional. I'm not sure it's good design, but it is worth reading what changes apt proposes before proceeding.



            Combined with globbing it may produce some rather... spectacular results at times.






            share|improve this answer

























              Your Answer








              StackExchange.ready(function()
              var channelOptions =
              tags: "".split(" "),
              id: "89"
              ;
              initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

              StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
              // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
              if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
              StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
              createEditor();
              );

              else
              createEditor();

              );

              function createEditor()
              StackExchange.prepareEditor(
              heartbeatType: 'answer',
              autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
              convertImagesToLinks: true,
              noModals: true,
              showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
              reputationToPostImages: 10,
              bindNavPrevention: true,
              postfix: "",
              imageUploader:
              brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
              contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
              allowUrls: true
              ,
              onDemand: true,
              discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
              ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
              );



              );






              Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









              draft saved

              draft discarded


















              StackExchange.ready(
              function ()
              StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1131958%2fi-probably-found-a-bug-with-the-sudo-apt-install-function%23new-answer', 'question_page');

              );

              Post as a guest















              Required, but never shown

























              2 Answers
              2






              active

              oldest

              votes








              2 Answers
              2






              active

              oldest

              votes









              active

              oldest

              votes






              active

              oldest

              votes









              7














              This is not a bug; this is documented in the man page. From man apt-get's install section1 (emphasis mine):




              If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install.




              So, when you did:



              sudo apt-get install python3-


              you've removed the python3 package and all the dependent packages (which includes the packages you mentioned).




              Fix:



              To re-install the removed packages, go to /var/log/apt/history.log, pick the packages, and run sudo apt-get install on them.



              You might also want to peek into /var/log/dpkg.log.




              1 If you have less as the man pager, you can go to the install section of man apt-get directly:



              LESS='+/^[[:blank:]]+install' man apt-get





              share|improve this answer





























                7














                This is not a bug; this is documented in the man page. From man apt-get's install section1 (emphasis mine):




                If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install.




                So, when you did:



                sudo apt-get install python3-


                you've removed the python3 package and all the dependent packages (which includes the packages you mentioned).




                Fix:



                To re-install the removed packages, go to /var/log/apt/history.log, pick the packages, and run sudo apt-get install on them.



                You might also want to peek into /var/log/dpkg.log.




                1 If you have less as the man pager, you can go to the install section of man apt-get directly:



                LESS='+/^[[:blank:]]+install' man apt-get





                share|improve this answer



























                  7












                  7








                  7







                  This is not a bug; this is documented in the man page. From man apt-get's install section1 (emphasis mine):




                  If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install.




                  So, when you did:



                  sudo apt-get install python3-


                  you've removed the python3 package and all the dependent packages (which includes the packages you mentioned).




                  Fix:



                  To re-install the removed packages, go to /var/log/apt/history.log, pick the packages, and run sudo apt-get install on them.



                  You might also want to peek into /var/log/dpkg.log.




                  1 If you have less as the man pager, you can go to the install section of man apt-get directly:



                  LESS='+/^[[:blank:]]+install' man apt-get





                  share|improve this answer















                  This is not a bug; this is documented in the man page. From man apt-get's install section1 (emphasis mine):




                  If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install.




                  So, when you did:



                  sudo apt-get install python3-


                  you've removed the python3 package and all the dependent packages (which includes the packages you mentioned).




                  Fix:



                  To re-install the removed packages, go to /var/log/apt/history.log, pick the packages, and run sudo apt-get install on them.



                  You might also want to peek into /var/log/dpkg.log.




                  1 If you have less as the man pager, you can go to the install section of man apt-get directly:



                  LESS='+/^[[:blank:]]+install' man apt-get






                  share|improve this answer














                  share|improve this answer



                  share|improve this answer








                  edited 1 hour ago

























                  answered 1 hour ago









                  heemaylheemayl

                  68k11142214




                  68k11142214























                      4














                      No, you didn't find a bug. From man apt-get:




                      If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be used to override decisions made by apt-get's conflict resolution system.




                      It's intentional. I'm not sure it's good design, but it is worth reading what changes apt proposes before proceeding.



                      Combined with globbing it may produce some rather... spectacular results at times.






                      share|improve this answer





























                        4














                        No, you didn't find a bug. From man apt-get:




                        If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be used to override decisions made by apt-get's conflict resolution system.




                        It's intentional. I'm not sure it's good design, but it is worth reading what changes apt proposes before proceeding.



                        Combined with globbing it may produce some rather... spectacular results at times.






                        share|improve this answer



























                          4












                          4








                          4







                          No, you didn't find a bug. From man apt-get:




                          If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be used to override decisions made by apt-get's conflict resolution system.




                          It's intentional. I'm not sure it's good design, but it is worth reading what changes apt proposes before proceeding.



                          Combined with globbing it may produce some rather... spectacular results at times.






                          share|improve this answer















                          No, you didn't find a bug. From man apt-get:




                          If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be used to override decisions made by apt-get's conflict resolution system.




                          It's intentional. I'm not sure it's good design, but it is worth reading what changes apt proposes before proceeding.



                          Combined with globbing it may produce some rather... spectacular results at times.







                          share|improve this answer














                          share|improve this answer



                          share|improve this answer








                          edited 1 hour ago









                          N0rbert

                          25.1k853118




                          25.1k853118










                          answered 1 hour ago









                          vidarlovidarlo

                          10.6k52751




                          10.6k52751




















                              Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









                              draft saved

                              draft discarded


















                              Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












                              Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.











                              Mettigel4_1 is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.














                              Thanks for contributing an answer to Ask Ubuntu!


                              • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                              But avoid …


                              • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                              • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                              To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                              draft saved


                              draft discarded














                              StackExchange.ready(
                              function ()
                              StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1131958%2fi-probably-found-a-bug-with-the-sudo-apt-install-function%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                              );

                              Post as a guest















                              Required, but never shown





















































                              Required, but never shown














                              Required, but never shown












                              Required, but never shown







                              Required, but never shown

































                              Required, but never shown














                              Required, but never shown












                              Required, but never shown







                              Required, but never shown







                              Popular posts from this blog

                              Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

                              When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e

                              Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee