Is this answer explanation correct?A simple(?) Analytical Geometry Question (Ellipse)The perimeter of the rectangle is $20$, diagonal is $8$ and side is $x$. Show that $x^2-10x+18=0$How to prove the quadrilateral formed by bisectors of a parallelogram is not always square?Find maximum width of a rectangle contained with another (diagonally)Prove this is a rectangleProve that the midpoints of the sides of a quadrilateral lie on a circle if and only if the quadrilateral is orthodiagonal.Area of a concave quadrilateralUnknown internal angles of a quadrilateral where its area and side lengths are knownFind the two missing angles in a quadrilateralGeometry find length given altitude - Is my understanding correct?

how do we prove that a sum of two periods is still a period?

Notepad++ delete until colon for every line with replace all

Finding the error in an argument

Can someone clarify Hamming's notion of important problems in relation to modern academia?

How could indestructible materials be used in power generation?

How to travel to Japan while expressing milk?

How many wives did king shaul have

What is an equivalently powerful replacement spell for the Yuan-Ti's Suggestion spell?

Does the Idaho Potato Commission associate potato skins with healthy eating?

ssTTsSTtRrriinInnnnNNNIiinngg

How can a day be of 24 hours?

How to show a landlord what we have in savings?

How to remove border from elements in the last row?

Is this draw by repetition?

What do you call someone who asks many questions?

Night of Shab e Meraj

How does a dynamic QR code work?

My ex-girlfriend uses my Apple ID to log in to her iPad. Do I have to give her my Apple ID password to reset it?

How exploitable/balanced is this homebrew spell: Spell Permanency?

Can a virus destroy the BIOS of a modern computer?

What are the G forces leaving Earth orbit?

Getting extremely large arrows with tikzcd

Why didn't Boeing produce its own regional jet?

Should I tell management that I intend to leave due to bad software development practices?



Is this answer explanation correct?


A simple(?) Analytical Geometry Question (Ellipse)The perimeter of the rectangle is $20$, diagonal is $8$ and side is $x$. Show that $x^2-10x+18=0$How to prove the quadrilateral formed by bisectors of a parallelogram is not always square?Find maximum width of a rectangle contained with another (diagonally)Prove this is a rectangleProve that the midpoints of the sides of a quadrilateral lie on a circle if and only if the quadrilateral is orthodiagonal.Area of a concave quadrilateralUnknown internal angles of a quadrilateral where its area and side lengths are knownFind the two missing angles in a quadrilateralGeometry find length given altitude - Is my understanding correct?













3












$begingroup$


I took an IQ test for fun recently, but I take issue with the answer to one of the questions. Here's the question:



enter image description here



My issue is that the explanation assumes angle DC is a right angle. Given that assumption, I can see the quadrilateral is indeed a rectangle and a right triangle and can follow their explanation. However, (from what I remember my high school geometry teacher telling me) even though an angle looks like a right angle, it shouldn't be assumed unless it is explicitly stated or you can prove it. To explain what I mean, if DC isn't a right angle and we exacerbated that difference, it would look like the following:



enter image description here



Thus, even being given A, B, C and D it seems like the area could not be calculated.



So my question is twofold:



  1. Is my criticism valid or am I just being too proud because I got a question wrong?

  2. Given my interpretation, DC is not a right angle, can this problem be solved?









share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$











  • $begingroup$
    You know it is a right angle because it has a large "90" on it. Now we can argue they never said why it has a "90" on it and as I am a nitpick I would agree with you... but... I think you and I would lose in any court.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Not that angle, the one below it.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Israel
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Oh. Just reread. The question is utter bullshit and completely wrong and the person who wrote the answer is a complete idiot. You are correct.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    " even though an angle looks like an angle, it shouldn't be assumed" but it doesn't even look like a right angle.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago















3












$begingroup$


I took an IQ test for fun recently, but I take issue with the answer to one of the questions. Here's the question:



enter image description here



My issue is that the explanation assumes angle DC is a right angle. Given that assumption, I can see the quadrilateral is indeed a rectangle and a right triangle and can follow their explanation. However, (from what I remember my high school geometry teacher telling me) even though an angle looks like a right angle, it shouldn't be assumed unless it is explicitly stated or you can prove it. To explain what I mean, if DC isn't a right angle and we exacerbated that difference, it would look like the following:



enter image description here



Thus, even being given A, B, C and D it seems like the area could not be calculated.



So my question is twofold:



  1. Is my criticism valid or am I just being too proud because I got a question wrong?

  2. Given my interpretation, DC is not a right angle, can this problem be solved?









share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$











  • $begingroup$
    You know it is a right angle because it has a large "90" on it. Now we can argue they never said why it has a "90" on it and as I am a nitpick I would agree with you... but... I think you and I would lose in any court.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Not that angle, the one below it.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Israel
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Oh. Just reread. The question is utter bullshit and completely wrong and the person who wrote the answer is a complete idiot. You are correct.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    " even though an angle looks like an angle, it shouldn't be assumed" but it doesn't even look like a right angle.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago













3












3








3





$begingroup$


I took an IQ test for fun recently, but I take issue with the answer to one of the questions. Here's the question:



enter image description here



My issue is that the explanation assumes angle DC is a right angle. Given that assumption, I can see the quadrilateral is indeed a rectangle and a right triangle and can follow their explanation. However, (from what I remember my high school geometry teacher telling me) even though an angle looks like a right angle, it shouldn't be assumed unless it is explicitly stated or you can prove it. To explain what I mean, if DC isn't a right angle and we exacerbated that difference, it would look like the following:



enter image description here



Thus, even being given A, B, C and D it seems like the area could not be calculated.



So my question is twofold:



  1. Is my criticism valid or am I just being too proud because I got a question wrong?

  2. Given my interpretation, DC is not a right angle, can this problem be solved?









share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$




I took an IQ test for fun recently, but I take issue with the answer to one of the questions. Here's the question:



enter image description here



My issue is that the explanation assumes angle DC is a right angle. Given that assumption, I can see the quadrilateral is indeed a rectangle and a right triangle and can follow their explanation. However, (from what I remember my high school geometry teacher telling me) even though an angle looks like a right angle, it shouldn't be assumed unless it is explicitly stated or you can prove it. To explain what I mean, if DC isn't a right angle and we exacerbated that difference, it would look like the following:



enter image description here



Thus, even being given A, B, C and D it seems like the area could not be calculated.



So my question is twofold:



  1. Is my criticism valid or am I just being too proud because I got a question wrong?

  2. Given my interpretation, DC is not a right angle, can this problem be solved?






geometry






share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.











share|cite|improve this question









New contributor




Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









share|cite|improve this question




share|cite|improve this question








edited 1 hour ago









Blue

49.3k870157




49.3k870157






New contributor




Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









asked 2 hours ago









Jack O.Jack O.

16




16




New contributor




Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.





New contributor





Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.






Jack O. is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.











  • $begingroup$
    You know it is a right angle because it has a large "90" on it. Now we can argue they never said why it has a "90" on it and as I am a nitpick I would agree with you... but... I think you and I would lose in any court.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Not that angle, the one below it.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Israel
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Oh. Just reread. The question is utter bullshit and completely wrong and the person who wrote the answer is a complete idiot. You are correct.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    " even though an angle looks like an angle, it shouldn't be assumed" but it doesn't even look like a right angle.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago
















  • $begingroup$
    You know it is a right angle because it has a large "90" on it. Now we can argue they never said why it has a "90" on it and as I am a nitpick I would agree with you... but... I think you and I would lose in any court.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Not that angle, the one below it.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Israel
    2 hours ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Oh. Just reread. The question is utter bullshit and completely wrong and the person who wrote the answer is a complete idiot. You are correct.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago











  • $begingroup$
    " even though an angle looks like an angle, it shouldn't be assumed" but it doesn't even look like a right angle.
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    2 hours ago















$begingroup$
You know it is a right angle because it has a large "90" on it. Now we can argue they never said why it has a "90" on it and as I am a nitpick I would agree with you... but... I think you and I would lose in any court.
$endgroup$
– fleablood
2 hours ago




$begingroup$
You know it is a right angle because it has a large "90" on it. Now we can argue they never said why it has a "90" on it and as I am a nitpick I would agree with you... but... I think you and I would lose in any court.
$endgroup$
– fleablood
2 hours ago




1




1




$begingroup$
Not that angle, the one below it.
$endgroup$
– Robert Israel
2 hours ago




$begingroup$
Not that angle, the one below it.
$endgroup$
– Robert Israel
2 hours ago




1




1




$begingroup$
Oh. Just reread. The question is utter bullshit and completely wrong and the person who wrote the answer is a complete idiot. You are correct.
$endgroup$
– fleablood
2 hours ago





$begingroup$
Oh. Just reread. The question is utter bullshit and completely wrong and the person who wrote the answer is a complete idiot. You are correct.
$endgroup$
– fleablood
2 hours ago













$begingroup$
" even though an angle looks like an angle, it shouldn't be assumed" but it doesn't even look like a right angle.
$endgroup$
– fleablood
2 hours ago




$begingroup$
" even though an angle looks like an angle, it shouldn't be assumed" but it doesn't even look like a right angle.
$endgroup$
– fleablood
2 hours ago










3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes


















2












$begingroup$

You are right. The provided explanation is nonsensical. $DC$ cannot be assumed to be a right angle.



However, if you don't make that assumption, and take $BC$ as the only given right angle, the correct answer is "All four sides must be known."



The quadrilateral can be decomposed into two non-overlapping triangles. The first is a right angled triangle formed by sides $B$, $C$ and a hypotenuse, and its area is easy to determine. You can use Pythagoras' Theorem to find the hypotenuse of that right triangle formed by sides $B$ and $C$. That hypotenuse, together with sides $A$ and $D$ forms the other triangle. Its area can be computed using Heron's formula. Just sum the areas.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    Perfect, thank you!
    $endgroup$
    – Jack O.
    1 hour ago










  • $begingroup$
    You're welcome.
    $endgroup$
    – Deepak
    1 hour ago


















1












$begingroup$

You are right: there is absolutely no indication that angle $DC$ is a right angle. If they wanted you to assume it was a right angle, they should have indicated that with another $90$. It really doesn't even look like a right angle (somebody had the bright idea of trying to render the picture in perspective, but we don't even know where the horizon is supposed to be).






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    That's what I thought. It should explicitly state if any angles are right. However my second question remains, given DC is ambiguous, is this question solvable? I don't think there would be enough information to solve in this case.
    $endgroup$
    – Jack O.
    2 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @JackO. See my answer. The correct answer would be "All sides must be known".
    $endgroup$
    – Deepak
    1 hour ago










  • $begingroup$
    If we know all four lengths and assume no angle is more than 180, then I think there is only one quadrilateral so the area will be unique. I think. But you need all four. If you only three the fourth can be many lengths if the third one "swings".
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    1 hour ago


















0












$begingroup$

You are correct that the given solution is wrong. Worse still, even if you know that the angles between BC and CD are both right-angles, the purported answer is still wrong! This is because if you're given the lengths of A,B,C, it still does not uniquely determine D because we are not told that the angle between AB is less than $90°$.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$













    Your Answer





    StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
    return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
    StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
    StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
    );
    );
    , "mathjax-editing");

    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "69"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );






    Jack O. is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3172745%2fis-this-answer-explanation-correct%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    3 Answers
    3






    active

    oldest

    votes








    3 Answers
    3






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    2












    $begingroup$

    You are right. The provided explanation is nonsensical. $DC$ cannot be assumed to be a right angle.



    However, if you don't make that assumption, and take $BC$ as the only given right angle, the correct answer is "All four sides must be known."



    The quadrilateral can be decomposed into two non-overlapping triangles. The first is a right angled triangle formed by sides $B$, $C$ and a hypotenuse, and its area is easy to determine. You can use Pythagoras' Theorem to find the hypotenuse of that right triangle formed by sides $B$ and $C$. That hypotenuse, together with sides $A$ and $D$ forms the other triangle. Its area can be computed using Heron's formula. Just sum the areas.






    share|cite|improve this answer









    $endgroup$












    • $begingroup$
      Perfect, thank you!
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      You're welcome.
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago















    2












    $begingroup$

    You are right. The provided explanation is nonsensical. $DC$ cannot be assumed to be a right angle.



    However, if you don't make that assumption, and take $BC$ as the only given right angle, the correct answer is "All four sides must be known."



    The quadrilateral can be decomposed into two non-overlapping triangles. The first is a right angled triangle formed by sides $B$, $C$ and a hypotenuse, and its area is easy to determine. You can use Pythagoras' Theorem to find the hypotenuse of that right triangle formed by sides $B$ and $C$. That hypotenuse, together with sides $A$ and $D$ forms the other triangle. Its area can be computed using Heron's formula. Just sum the areas.






    share|cite|improve this answer









    $endgroup$












    • $begingroup$
      Perfect, thank you!
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      You're welcome.
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago













    2












    2








    2





    $begingroup$

    You are right. The provided explanation is nonsensical. $DC$ cannot be assumed to be a right angle.



    However, if you don't make that assumption, and take $BC$ as the only given right angle, the correct answer is "All four sides must be known."



    The quadrilateral can be decomposed into two non-overlapping triangles. The first is a right angled triangle formed by sides $B$, $C$ and a hypotenuse, and its area is easy to determine. You can use Pythagoras' Theorem to find the hypotenuse of that right triangle formed by sides $B$ and $C$. That hypotenuse, together with sides $A$ and $D$ forms the other triangle. Its area can be computed using Heron's formula. Just sum the areas.






    share|cite|improve this answer









    $endgroup$



    You are right. The provided explanation is nonsensical. $DC$ cannot be assumed to be a right angle.



    However, if you don't make that assumption, and take $BC$ as the only given right angle, the correct answer is "All four sides must be known."



    The quadrilateral can be decomposed into two non-overlapping triangles. The first is a right angled triangle formed by sides $B$, $C$ and a hypotenuse, and its area is easy to determine. You can use Pythagoras' Theorem to find the hypotenuse of that right triangle formed by sides $B$ and $C$. That hypotenuse, together with sides $A$ and $D$ forms the other triangle. Its area can be computed using Heron's formula. Just sum the areas.







    share|cite|improve this answer












    share|cite|improve this answer



    share|cite|improve this answer










    answered 1 hour ago









    DeepakDeepak

    17.7k11539




    17.7k11539











    • $begingroup$
      Perfect, thank you!
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      You're welcome.
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago
















    • $begingroup$
      Perfect, thank you!
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      You're welcome.
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago















    $begingroup$
    Perfect, thank you!
    $endgroup$
    – Jack O.
    1 hour ago




    $begingroup$
    Perfect, thank you!
    $endgroup$
    – Jack O.
    1 hour ago












    $begingroup$
    You're welcome.
    $endgroup$
    – Deepak
    1 hour ago




    $begingroup$
    You're welcome.
    $endgroup$
    – Deepak
    1 hour ago











    1












    $begingroup$

    You are right: there is absolutely no indication that angle $DC$ is a right angle. If they wanted you to assume it was a right angle, they should have indicated that with another $90$. It really doesn't even look like a right angle (somebody had the bright idea of trying to render the picture in perspective, but we don't even know where the horizon is supposed to be).






    share|cite|improve this answer









    $endgroup$












    • $begingroup$
      That's what I thought. It should explicitly state if any angles are right. However my second question remains, given DC is ambiguous, is this question solvable? I don't think there would be enough information to solve in this case.
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      2 hours ago










    • $begingroup$
      @JackO. See my answer. The correct answer would be "All sides must be known".
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      If we know all four lengths and assume no angle is more than 180, then I think there is only one quadrilateral so the area will be unique. I think. But you need all four. If you only three the fourth can be many lengths if the third one "swings".
      $endgroup$
      – fleablood
      1 hour ago















    1












    $begingroup$

    You are right: there is absolutely no indication that angle $DC$ is a right angle. If they wanted you to assume it was a right angle, they should have indicated that with another $90$. It really doesn't even look like a right angle (somebody had the bright idea of trying to render the picture in perspective, but we don't even know where the horizon is supposed to be).






    share|cite|improve this answer









    $endgroup$












    • $begingroup$
      That's what I thought. It should explicitly state if any angles are right. However my second question remains, given DC is ambiguous, is this question solvable? I don't think there would be enough information to solve in this case.
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      2 hours ago










    • $begingroup$
      @JackO. See my answer. The correct answer would be "All sides must be known".
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      If we know all four lengths and assume no angle is more than 180, then I think there is only one quadrilateral so the area will be unique. I think. But you need all four. If you only three the fourth can be many lengths if the third one "swings".
      $endgroup$
      – fleablood
      1 hour ago













    1












    1








    1





    $begingroup$

    You are right: there is absolutely no indication that angle $DC$ is a right angle. If they wanted you to assume it was a right angle, they should have indicated that with another $90$. It really doesn't even look like a right angle (somebody had the bright idea of trying to render the picture in perspective, but we don't even know where the horizon is supposed to be).






    share|cite|improve this answer









    $endgroup$



    You are right: there is absolutely no indication that angle $DC$ is a right angle. If they wanted you to assume it was a right angle, they should have indicated that with another $90$. It really doesn't even look like a right angle (somebody had the bright idea of trying to render the picture in perspective, but we don't even know where the horizon is supposed to be).







    share|cite|improve this answer












    share|cite|improve this answer



    share|cite|improve this answer










    answered 2 hours ago









    Robert IsraelRobert Israel

    330k23219473




    330k23219473











    • $begingroup$
      That's what I thought. It should explicitly state if any angles are right. However my second question remains, given DC is ambiguous, is this question solvable? I don't think there would be enough information to solve in this case.
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      2 hours ago










    • $begingroup$
      @JackO. See my answer. The correct answer would be "All sides must be known".
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      If we know all four lengths and assume no angle is more than 180, then I think there is only one quadrilateral so the area will be unique. I think. But you need all four. If you only three the fourth can be many lengths if the third one "swings".
      $endgroup$
      – fleablood
      1 hour ago
















    • $begingroup$
      That's what I thought. It should explicitly state if any angles are right. However my second question remains, given DC is ambiguous, is this question solvable? I don't think there would be enough information to solve in this case.
      $endgroup$
      – Jack O.
      2 hours ago










    • $begingroup$
      @JackO. See my answer. The correct answer would be "All sides must be known".
      $endgroup$
      – Deepak
      1 hour ago










    • $begingroup$
      If we know all four lengths and assume no angle is more than 180, then I think there is only one quadrilateral so the area will be unique. I think. But you need all four. If you only three the fourth can be many lengths if the third one "swings".
      $endgroup$
      – fleablood
      1 hour ago















    $begingroup$
    That's what I thought. It should explicitly state if any angles are right. However my second question remains, given DC is ambiguous, is this question solvable? I don't think there would be enough information to solve in this case.
    $endgroup$
    – Jack O.
    2 hours ago




    $begingroup$
    That's what I thought. It should explicitly state if any angles are right. However my second question remains, given DC is ambiguous, is this question solvable? I don't think there would be enough information to solve in this case.
    $endgroup$
    – Jack O.
    2 hours ago












    $begingroup$
    @JackO. See my answer. The correct answer would be "All sides must be known".
    $endgroup$
    – Deepak
    1 hour ago




    $begingroup$
    @JackO. See my answer. The correct answer would be "All sides must be known".
    $endgroup$
    – Deepak
    1 hour ago












    $begingroup$
    If we know all four lengths and assume no angle is more than 180, then I think there is only one quadrilateral so the area will be unique. I think. But you need all four. If you only three the fourth can be many lengths if the third one "swings".
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    1 hour ago




    $begingroup$
    If we know all four lengths and assume no angle is more than 180, then I think there is only one quadrilateral so the area will be unique. I think. But you need all four. If you only three the fourth can be many lengths if the third one "swings".
    $endgroup$
    – fleablood
    1 hour ago











    0












    $begingroup$

    You are correct that the given solution is wrong. Worse still, even if you know that the angles between BC and CD are both right-angles, the purported answer is still wrong! This is because if you're given the lengths of A,B,C, it still does not uniquely determine D because we are not told that the angle between AB is less than $90°$.






    share|cite|improve this answer









    $endgroup$

















      0












      $begingroup$

      You are correct that the given solution is wrong. Worse still, even if you know that the angles between BC and CD are both right-angles, the purported answer is still wrong! This is because if you're given the lengths of A,B,C, it still does not uniquely determine D because we are not told that the angle between AB is less than $90°$.






      share|cite|improve this answer









      $endgroup$















        0












        0








        0





        $begingroup$

        You are correct that the given solution is wrong. Worse still, even if you know that the angles between BC and CD are both right-angles, the purported answer is still wrong! This is because if you're given the lengths of A,B,C, it still does not uniquely determine D because we are not told that the angle between AB is less than $90°$.






        share|cite|improve this answer









        $endgroup$



        You are correct that the given solution is wrong. Worse still, even if you know that the angles between BC and CD are both right-angles, the purported answer is still wrong! This is because if you're given the lengths of A,B,C, it still does not uniquely determine D because we are not told that the angle between AB is less than $90°$.







        share|cite|improve this answer












        share|cite|improve this answer



        share|cite|improve this answer










        answered 1 hour ago









        user21820user21820

        39.9k544159




        39.9k544159




















            Jack O. is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            Jack O. is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












            Jack O. is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.











            Jack O. is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.














            Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematics Stack Exchange!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3172745%2fis-this-answer-explanation-correct%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

            Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

            When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e