My friend is being a hypocriteMarkus' lucky numbersFind two numbers based on either their product or their sum?Number of candiesAbby and Bobby and three numbers on the blackboardHighlighter traces on a sheet of paperWhat kind of puzzle is solved by these sequences of numbers?Five Closely Related PuzzlesIt's my weird friendA line in Connect FourReverse Puzzling 5

Do ranged attacks with improvised weapons get the bonus from the archery fighting style?

Embeddings of flag manifolds

Is there a term for accumulated dirt on the outside of your hands and feet?

Recruiter wants very extensive technical details about all of my previous work

Four married couples attend a party. Each person shakes hands with every other person, except their own spouse, exactly once. How many handshakes?

Do I need to be arrogant to get ahead?

Do I need to consider instance restrictions when showing a language is in P?

Light propagating through a sound wave

usage and meaning of Up

Why is indicated airspeed rather than ground speed used during the takeoff roll?

Should I use acronyms in dialogues before telling the readers what it stands for in fiction?

Asserting that Atheism and Theism are both faith based positions

How to get the n-th line after a grepped one?

Violin - Can double stops be played when the strings are not next to each other?

Describing a chess game in a novel

Does multi-classing into Fighter give you heavy armor proficiency?

What does "Four-F." mean?

Comment Box for Substitution Method of Integrals

Do native speakers use "ultima" and "proxima" frequently in spoken English?

Practical application of matrices and determinants

Deletion of copy-ctor & copy-assignment - public, private or protected?

awkward or wrong?

How do hiring committees for research positions view getting "scooped"?

Bash - pair each line of file



My friend is being a hypocrite


Markus' lucky numbersFind two numbers based on either their product or their sum?Number of candiesAbby and Bobby and three numbers on the blackboardHighlighter traces on a sheet of paperWhat kind of puzzle is solved by these sequences of numbers?Five Closely Related PuzzlesIt's my weird friendA line in Connect FourReverse Puzzling 5













4












$begingroup$


So I was having an argument with a friend and I know I'm right, but she just won't admit it and it's getting really irritating. She thinks this thing goes one way when it clearly actually goes down!



The argument got pretty heated and eventually she decided she was going to prove her point with data, so pointed to some statistics from two papers she'd printed out a while ago. But this was all pointless because BOTH OF THE PAPERS AGREED WITH ME.



You don't know how frustrating this is! I asked if the first paper supported my argument, and she said YES, and I asked if the second paper supported my argument, and she said YES.



So I said either the numbers in the papers are right and therefore I'm right (obviously), or the numbers in the papers are wrong and therefore you shouldn't use them as evidence! And she was like “well...“



I kind of lost track of the argument at this point because I was getting pretty pissed, but I should note that she was trying to show me this thing with dice (she was “improvising” since we had nothing to write with), which she ended up leaving on the table. Supposedly the first paper was researching even numbers and the second paper was researching odd numbers, which doesn't even make sense (what a surprise).



4 sets of 4 dice



(These are all unrelated examples BTW, she thought more examples would help for some reason.)



Anyway if any of you know how to convince my stubborn friend I'd like to know. She's a statistician and it gets to her head.










share|improve this question











$endgroup$
















    4












    $begingroup$


    So I was having an argument with a friend and I know I'm right, but she just won't admit it and it's getting really irritating. She thinks this thing goes one way when it clearly actually goes down!



    The argument got pretty heated and eventually she decided she was going to prove her point with data, so pointed to some statistics from two papers she'd printed out a while ago. But this was all pointless because BOTH OF THE PAPERS AGREED WITH ME.



    You don't know how frustrating this is! I asked if the first paper supported my argument, and she said YES, and I asked if the second paper supported my argument, and she said YES.



    So I said either the numbers in the papers are right and therefore I'm right (obviously), or the numbers in the papers are wrong and therefore you shouldn't use them as evidence! And she was like “well...“



    I kind of lost track of the argument at this point because I was getting pretty pissed, but I should note that she was trying to show me this thing with dice (she was “improvising” since we had nothing to write with), which she ended up leaving on the table. Supposedly the first paper was researching even numbers and the second paper was researching odd numbers, which doesn't even make sense (what a surprise).



    4 sets of 4 dice



    (These are all unrelated examples BTW, she thought more examples would help for some reason.)



    Anyway if any of you know how to convince my stubborn friend I'd like to know. She's a statistician and it gets to her head.










    share|improve this question











    $endgroup$














      4












      4








      4





      $begingroup$


      So I was having an argument with a friend and I know I'm right, but she just won't admit it and it's getting really irritating. She thinks this thing goes one way when it clearly actually goes down!



      The argument got pretty heated and eventually she decided she was going to prove her point with data, so pointed to some statistics from two papers she'd printed out a while ago. But this was all pointless because BOTH OF THE PAPERS AGREED WITH ME.



      You don't know how frustrating this is! I asked if the first paper supported my argument, and she said YES, and I asked if the second paper supported my argument, and she said YES.



      So I said either the numbers in the papers are right and therefore I'm right (obviously), or the numbers in the papers are wrong and therefore you shouldn't use them as evidence! And she was like “well...“



      I kind of lost track of the argument at this point because I was getting pretty pissed, but I should note that she was trying to show me this thing with dice (she was “improvising” since we had nothing to write with), which she ended up leaving on the table. Supposedly the first paper was researching even numbers and the second paper was researching odd numbers, which doesn't even make sense (what a surprise).



      4 sets of 4 dice



      (These are all unrelated examples BTW, she thought more examples would help for some reason.)



      Anyway if any of you know how to convince my stubborn friend I'd like to know. She's a statistician and it gets to her head.










      share|improve this question











      $endgroup$




      So I was having an argument with a friend and I know I'm right, but she just won't admit it and it's getting really irritating. She thinks this thing goes one way when it clearly actually goes down!



      The argument got pretty heated and eventually she decided she was going to prove her point with data, so pointed to some statistics from two papers she'd printed out a while ago. But this was all pointless because BOTH OF THE PAPERS AGREED WITH ME.



      You don't know how frustrating this is! I asked if the first paper supported my argument, and she said YES, and I asked if the second paper supported my argument, and she said YES.



      So I said either the numbers in the papers are right and therefore I'm right (obviously), or the numbers in the papers are wrong and therefore you shouldn't use them as evidence! And she was like “well...“



      I kind of lost track of the argument at this point because I was getting pretty pissed, but I should note that she was trying to show me this thing with dice (she was “improvising” since we had nothing to write with), which she ended up leaving on the table. Supposedly the first paper was researching even numbers and the second paper was researching odd numbers, which doesn't even make sense (what a surprise).



      4 sets of 4 dice



      (These are all unrelated examples BTW, she thought more examples would help for some reason.)



      Anyway if any of you know how to convince my stubborn friend I'd like to know. She's a statistician and it gets to her head.







      mathematics reverse-puzzling






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited 4 hours ago









      Rand al'Thor

      70.3k14234468




      70.3k14234468










      asked 5 hours ago









      VeedracVeedrac

      852616




      852616




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          3












          $begingroup$

          The only thing I can think of that you could be arguing about is




          Simpson's paradox




          Both of the papers can support your argument because




          If your argument involves the whole population, then the first paper can have some downward trend in "even" numbers, and the second paper can have some downward trend in "odd" numbers, supporting your argument, but, when combined, the population as a whole can have an upward trend...

          The examples you gave are really too broad for me to figure out what exactly you're talking about..




          In conclusion




          It is you, in fact, who is wrong. When taking the whole population into account your friend would be correct to observe that the trend changes..







          share|improve this answer









          $endgroup$












            Your Answer





            StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
            return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
            StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
            StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
            );
            );
            , "mathjax-editing");

            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "559"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: false,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: null,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader:
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            ,
            noCode: true, onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f80753%2fmy-friend-is-being-a-hypocrite%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown

























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes









            3












            $begingroup$

            The only thing I can think of that you could be arguing about is




            Simpson's paradox




            Both of the papers can support your argument because




            If your argument involves the whole population, then the first paper can have some downward trend in "even" numbers, and the second paper can have some downward trend in "odd" numbers, supporting your argument, but, when combined, the population as a whole can have an upward trend...

            The examples you gave are really too broad for me to figure out what exactly you're talking about..




            In conclusion




            It is you, in fact, who is wrong. When taking the whole population into account your friend would be correct to observe that the trend changes..







            share|improve this answer









            $endgroup$

















              3












              $begingroup$

              The only thing I can think of that you could be arguing about is




              Simpson's paradox




              Both of the papers can support your argument because




              If your argument involves the whole population, then the first paper can have some downward trend in "even" numbers, and the second paper can have some downward trend in "odd" numbers, supporting your argument, but, when combined, the population as a whole can have an upward trend...

              The examples you gave are really too broad for me to figure out what exactly you're talking about..




              In conclusion




              It is you, in fact, who is wrong. When taking the whole population into account your friend would be correct to observe that the trend changes..







              share|improve this answer









              $endgroup$















                3












                3








                3





                $begingroup$

                The only thing I can think of that you could be arguing about is




                Simpson's paradox




                Both of the papers can support your argument because




                If your argument involves the whole population, then the first paper can have some downward trend in "even" numbers, and the second paper can have some downward trend in "odd" numbers, supporting your argument, but, when combined, the population as a whole can have an upward trend...

                The examples you gave are really too broad for me to figure out what exactly you're talking about..




                In conclusion




                It is you, in fact, who is wrong. When taking the whole population into account your friend would be correct to observe that the trend changes..







                share|improve this answer









                $endgroup$



                The only thing I can think of that you could be arguing about is




                Simpson's paradox




                Both of the papers can support your argument because




                If your argument involves the whole population, then the first paper can have some downward trend in "even" numbers, and the second paper can have some downward trend in "odd" numbers, supporting your argument, but, when combined, the population as a whole can have an upward trend...

                The examples you gave are really too broad for me to figure out what exactly you're talking about..




                In conclusion




                It is you, in fact, who is wrong. When taking the whole population into account your friend would be correct to observe that the trend changes..








                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered 1 hour ago









                AmorydaiAmorydai

                1,335114




                1,335114



























                    draft saved

                    draft discarded
















































                    Thanks for contributing an answer to Puzzling Stack Exchange!


                    • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                    But avoid …


                    • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                    • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                    Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


                    To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fpuzzling.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f80753%2fmy-friend-is-being-a-hypocrite%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest















                    Required, but never shown





















































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown

































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown







                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

                    When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e

                    Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee