Prove the alternating sum of a decreasing sequence converging to 0 is Cauchy. Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast? Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar ManaraSuppose for all positive integers $n$, $|x_n-y_n|< frac1n$ Prove that $(x_n)$ is also Cauchy.Proof check for completenessProve that $d_n$ is a Cauchy sequence in $mathbbR$Prove $aX_n +bY_n$ is a Cauchy Sequence.Prove a sequence is a Cauchy and thus convergentIf $(x_n)$ and $(y_n)$ are Cauchy sequences, then give a direct argument that $ (x_n + y_n)$ is a Cauchy sequenceIf $x_n$ and $y_n$ are Cauchy then $leftfrac2x_ny_nright$ is CauchyLet $x_n$ be a Cauchy sequence of rational numbers. Define a new sequence $y_n$ by $y_n = (x_n)(x_n+1)$. Show that $y_n$ is a CS.Let $x_n$ be a Cauchy sequence of real numbers, prove that a new sequence $y_n$, with $y_n$=$x_n^frac13$, is also a Cauchy sequence.$x_n rightarrow x$ iff the modified sequence is Cauchy

Where did Arya get these scars?

Retract an already submitted recommendation letter (written for an undergrad student)

What's the difference between using dependency injection with a container and using a service locator?

My admission is revoked after accepting the admission offer

Raising a bilingual kid. When should we introduce the majority language?

What’s with the clanks in Endgame?

Will I lose my paid in full property

All ASCII characters with a given bit count

How to get even lighting when using flash for group photos near wall?

Suing a Police Officer Instead of the Police Department

What to do with someone that cheated their way through university and a PhD program?

Seek and ye shall find

finding a tangent line to a parabola

Implementing 3DES algorithm in Java: is my code secure?

Are these square matrices always diagonalisable?

Rolling Stones Sway guitar solo chord function

Mistake in years of experience in resume?

Additive group of local rings

The art of proof summarizing. Are there known rules, or is it a purely common sense matter?

Expansion//Explosion and Siren Stormtamer

Justification for leaving new position after a short time

Vigenère cipher in Ruby

How to avoid introduction cliches

Is it OK if I do not take the receipt in Germany?



Prove the alternating sum of a decreasing sequence converging to 0 is Cauchy.



Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?
Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar ManaraSuppose for all positive integers $n$, $|x_n-y_n|< frac1n$ Prove that $(x_n)$ is also Cauchy.Proof check for completenessProve that $d_n$ is a Cauchy sequence in $mathbbR$Prove $aX_n +bY_n$ is a Cauchy Sequence.Prove a sequence is a Cauchy and thus convergentIf $(x_n)$ and $(y_n)$ are Cauchy sequences, then give a direct argument that $ (x_n + y_n)$ is a Cauchy sequenceIf $x_n$ and $y_n$ are Cauchy then $leftfrac2x_ny_nright$ is CauchyLet $x_n$ be a Cauchy sequence of rational numbers. Define a new sequence $y_n$ by $y_n = (x_n)(x_n+1)$. Show that $y_n$ is a CS.Let $x_n$ be a Cauchy sequence of real numbers, prove that a new sequence $y_n$, with $y_n$=$x_n^frac13$, is also a Cauchy sequence.$x_n rightarrow x$ iff the modified sequence is Cauchy










2












$begingroup$


Let $(x_n)$ be a decreasing sequence with $x_n > 0$ for all $n in mathbbN$, and $(x_n) to 0$. Let $(y_n)$ be defined for all $n in mathbbN$ by
$$y_n = x_0 - x_1 + x_2 - cdots + (-1)^n x_n .$$



I want to show, using the $varepsilon$ definition, that $(y_n)$ is Cauchy.



I am trying to find, given $varepsilon > 0$, a real number $N$ such that for all $m$ and $n$ with $m > n > N$, $|y_m - y_n| < varepsilon$.



I have been going backwards to try and find $N$, and have
beginalign*
|y_m - y_n| & = left| (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m) - (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_n) right| \
|y_m - y_n| & = left| x_n + 1 - x_n + 2 + cdots pm x_m right| \
|y_m - y_n| & leq | x_n + 1 | + | x_n + 2 | + cdots + | x_m | \
|y_m - y_n| & leq ?
endalign*



I do not know how to get a solution from there, and am not sure about the process, particurlary the last step since I feel getting rid of the minuses might prevent me from finding a solution.










share|cite|improve this question









$endgroup$







  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Because the series is alternating and decreasing, I think you can prove by induction on $m$ that $|y_m-y_n| leq |y_n|$.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Shore
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore is my answer okay?
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore yes I can definitely show that, but it brings me to the same issue with $|y_m| leq |x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m|$, and I am unsure how to proceed from there.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    56 mins ago
















2












$begingroup$


Let $(x_n)$ be a decreasing sequence with $x_n > 0$ for all $n in mathbbN$, and $(x_n) to 0$. Let $(y_n)$ be defined for all $n in mathbbN$ by
$$y_n = x_0 - x_1 + x_2 - cdots + (-1)^n x_n .$$



I want to show, using the $varepsilon$ definition, that $(y_n)$ is Cauchy.



I am trying to find, given $varepsilon > 0$, a real number $N$ such that for all $m$ and $n$ with $m > n > N$, $|y_m - y_n| < varepsilon$.



I have been going backwards to try and find $N$, and have
beginalign*
|y_m - y_n| & = left| (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m) - (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_n) right| \
|y_m - y_n| & = left| x_n + 1 - x_n + 2 + cdots pm x_m right| \
|y_m - y_n| & leq | x_n + 1 | + | x_n + 2 | + cdots + | x_m | \
|y_m - y_n| & leq ?
endalign*



I do not know how to get a solution from there, and am not sure about the process, particurlary the last step since I feel getting rid of the minuses might prevent me from finding a solution.










share|cite|improve this question









$endgroup$







  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Because the series is alternating and decreasing, I think you can prove by induction on $m$ that $|y_m-y_n| leq |y_n|$.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Shore
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore is my answer okay?
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore yes I can definitely show that, but it brings me to the same issue with $|y_m| leq |x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m|$, and I am unsure how to proceed from there.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    56 mins ago














2












2








2


1



$begingroup$


Let $(x_n)$ be a decreasing sequence with $x_n > 0$ for all $n in mathbbN$, and $(x_n) to 0$. Let $(y_n)$ be defined for all $n in mathbbN$ by
$$y_n = x_0 - x_1 + x_2 - cdots + (-1)^n x_n .$$



I want to show, using the $varepsilon$ definition, that $(y_n)$ is Cauchy.



I am trying to find, given $varepsilon > 0$, a real number $N$ such that for all $m$ and $n$ with $m > n > N$, $|y_m - y_n| < varepsilon$.



I have been going backwards to try and find $N$, and have
beginalign*
|y_m - y_n| & = left| (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m) - (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_n) right| \
|y_m - y_n| & = left| x_n + 1 - x_n + 2 + cdots pm x_m right| \
|y_m - y_n| & leq | x_n + 1 | + | x_n + 2 | + cdots + | x_m | \
|y_m - y_n| & leq ?
endalign*



I do not know how to get a solution from there, and am not sure about the process, particurlary the last step since I feel getting rid of the minuses might prevent me from finding a solution.










share|cite|improve this question









$endgroup$




Let $(x_n)$ be a decreasing sequence with $x_n > 0$ for all $n in mathbbN$, and $(x_n) to 0$. Let $(y_n)$ be defined for all $n in mathbbN$ by
$$y_n = x_0 - x_1 + x_2 - cdots + (-1)^n x_n .$$



I want to show, using the $varepsilon$ definition, that $(y_n)$ is Cauchy.



I am trying to find, given $varepsilon > 0$, a real number $N$ such that for all $m$ and $n$ with $m > n > N$, $|y_m - y_n| < varepsilon$.



I have been going backwards to try and find $N$, and have
beginalign*
|y_m - y_n| & = left| (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m) - (x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_n) right| \
|y_m - y_n| & = left| x_n + 1 - x_n + 2 + cdots pm x_m right| \
|y_m - y_n| & leq | x_n + 1 | + | x_n + 2 | + cdots + | x_m | \
|y_m - y_n| & leq ?
endalign*



I do not know how to get a solution from there, and am not sure about the process, particurlary the last step since I feel getting rid of the minuses might prevent me from finding a solution.







real-analysis cauchy-sequences






share|cite|improve this question













share|cite|improve this question











share|cite|improve this question




share|cite|improve this question










asked 4 hours ago









oranjioranji

616




616







  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Because the series is alternating and decreasing, I think you can prove by induction on $m$ that $|y_m-y_n| leq |y_n|$.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Shore
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore is my answer okay?
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore yes I can definitely show that, but it brings me to the same issue with $|y_m| leq |x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m|$, and I am unsure how to proceed from there.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    56 mins ago













  • 1




    $begingroup$
    Because the series is alternating and decreasing, I think you can prove by induction on $m$ that $|y_m-y_n| leq |y_n|$.
    $endgroup$
    – Robert Shore
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore is my answer okay?
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    3 hours ago










  • $begingroup$
    @RobertShore yes I can definitely show that, but it brings me to the same issue with $|y_m| leq |x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m|$, and I am unsure how to proceed from there.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    56 mins ago








1




1




$begingroup$
Because the series is alternating and decreasing, I think you can prove by induction on $m$ that $|y_m-y_n| leq |y_n|$.
$endgroup$
– Robert Shore
3 hours ago




$begingroup$
Because the series is alternating and decreasing, I think you can prove by induction on $m$ that $|y_m-y_n| leq |y_n|$.
$endgroup$
– Robert Shore
3 hours ago












$begingroup$
@RobertShore is my answer okay?
$endgroup$
– Subhasis Biswas
3 hours ago




$begingroup$
@RobertShore is my answer okay?
$endgroup$
– Subhasis Biswas
3 hours ago












$begingroup$
@RobertShore yes I can definitely show that, but it brings me to the same issue with $|y_m| leq |x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m|$, and I am unsure how to proceed from there.
$endgroup$
– oranji
56 mins ago





$begingroup$
@RobertShore yes I can definitely show that, but it brings me to the same issue with $|y_m| leq |x_0 - x_1 + cdots pm x_m|$, and I am unsure how to proceed from there.
$endgroup$
– oranji
56 mins ago











2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















2












$begingroup$

To see that the sequence of partial sums is Cauchy, you cannot use the triangle inequality directly as you did. A famous counter example here is $sum_k=1^inftyfrac(-1)^kk$.



What you can do is grouping the terms of the partial sums $s_n= sum_j=1^n(-1)^jx_j$ as follows:



  • Let $m = n+k, k,n in mathbbN$

Now, you can write $|s_m - s_n|$ in two different ways:



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-x_n+2i+1)| & k = 2i+1 \
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-2-x_n+2i-1) - x_2i| & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) + x_n+2i+1| & k = 2i+1 \
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) | & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



Using the fact that $x_n searrow 0$, it follows immediately that for all $k in mathbbN$ holds
$$|s_n+k - s_n| leq x_n+1$$



Hence, for $epsilon > 0$ choose $N_epsilon$ such that $x_N_epsilon < epsilon$. Then, for all $m> n > N_epsilon$ you have
$$|s_m - s_n| leq x_n+1 leq x_N_epsilon < epsilon$$






share|cite|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    This is exactly what I was about to do.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    55 mins ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @SubhasisBiswas So, I did it for you :-D
    $endgroup$
    – trancelocation
    54 mins ago


















2












$begingroup$

This is also known as the "Leibnitz's Test".



We write $s_n = x_1-x_2+x_3-...+(-1)^n+1x_n$



$s_2n+2-s_2n=u_2n+1-u_2n+2 geq0$ for all $n$.



$s_2n+1-s_2n-1=-u_2n+u_2n+1 leq 0$



$s_2n =u_1 -(u_2-u_3)-(u_4-u_5)...-u_2n leq u_1$, i.e. a monotone increasing sequence bounded above.



$s_2n+1 =(u_1 -u_2)+(u_3-u_4)+...+u_2n+1 geq u_1-u_2$, i.e. a monotone decreasing sequence bounded below.



Hence, both are convergent subsequences of $(s_n)$. But, we have $lim (s_2n+1-s_2n)=u_2n+1=0$, therefore, they converge to the same limit.



Hence, $(s_n)$ converges, i.e. it is Cauchy.



Note: We conclude that $(s_n)$ converges because the indices of the two subsequences $(s_2n)$ and $(s_2n+1)$ i.e. $U = 2n+1 : n in mathbbN$ and $V = 2n : n in mathbbN$ form a partition of $mathbbN$ and they both converge to the same limit.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    I want to use the $varepsilon$ definition of a Cauchy sequence, and not the fact that all convergent sequences are Cauchy, which is why I cannot use this solution.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    59 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    I'll edit this answer.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    56 mins ago











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "69"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3201256%2fprove-the-alternating-sum-of-a-decreasing-sequence-converging-to-0-is-cauchy%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes








2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









2












$begingroup$

To see that the sequence of partial sums is Cauchy, you cannot use the triangle inequality directly as you did. A famous counter example here is $sum_k=1^inftyfrac(-1)^kk$.



What you can do is grouping the terms of the partial sums $s_n= sum_j=1^n(-1)^jx_j$ as follows:



  • Let $m = n+k, k,n in mathbbN$

Now, you can write $|s_m - s_n|$ in two different ways:



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-x_n+2i+1)| & k = 2i+1 \
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-2-x_n+2i-1) - x_2i| & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) + x_n+2i+1| & k = 2i+1 \
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) | & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



Using the fact that $x_n searrow 0$, it follows immediately that for all $k in mathbbN$ holds
$$|s_n+k - s_n| leq x_n+1$$



Hence, for $epsilon > 0$ choose $N_epsilon$ such that $x_N_epsilon < epsilon$. Then, for all $m> n > N_epsilon$ you have
$$|s_m - s_n| leq x_n+1 leq x_N_epsilon < epsilon$$






share|cite|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    This is exactly what I was about to do.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    55 mins ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @SubhasisBiswas So, I did it for you :-D
    $endgroup$
    – trancelocation
    54 mins ago















2












$begingroup$

To see that the sequence of partial sums is Cauchy, you cannot use the triangle inequality directly as you did. A famous counter example here is $sum_k=1^inftyfrac(-1)^kk$.



What you can do is grouping the terms of the partial sums $s_n= sum_j=1^n(-1)^jx_j$ as follows:



  • Let $m = n+k, k,n in mathbbN$

Now, you can write $|s_m - s_n|$ in two different ways:



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-x_n+2i+1)| & k = 2i+1 \
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-2-x_n+2i-1) - x_2i| & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) + x_n+2i+1| & k = 2i+1 \
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) | & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



Using the fact that $x_n searrow 0$, it follows immediately that for all $k in mathbbN$ holds
$$|s_n+k - s_n| leq x_n+1$$



Hence, for $epsilon > 0$ choose $N_epsilon$ such that $x_N_epsilon < epsilon$. Then, for all $m> n > N_epsilon$ you have
$$|s_m - s_n| leq x_n+1 leq x_N_epsilon < epsilon$$






share|cite|improve this answer











$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    This is exactly what I was about to do.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    55 mins ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @SubhasisBiswas So, I did it for you :-D
    $endgroup$
    – trancelocation
    54 mins ago













2












2








2





$begingroup$

To see that the sequence of partial sums is Cauchy, you cannot use the triangle inequality directly as you did. A famous counter example here is $sum_k=1^inftyfrac(-1)^kk$.



What you can do is grouping the terms of the partial sums $s_n= sum_j=1^n(-1)^jx_j$ as follows:



  • Let $m = n+k, k,n in mathbbN$

Now, you can write $|s_m - s_n|$ in two different ways:



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-x_n+2i+1)| & k = 2i+1 \
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-2-x_n+2i-1) - x_2i| & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) + x_n+2i+1| & k = 2i+1 \
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) | & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



Using the fact that $x_n searrow 0$, it follows immediately that for all $k in mathbbN$ holds
$$|s_n+k - s_n| leq x_n+1$$



Hence, for $epsilon > 0$ choose $N_epsilon$ such that $x_N_epsilon < epsilon$. Then, for all $m> n > N_epsilon$ you have
$$|s_m - s_n| leq x_n+1 leq x_N_epsilon < epsilon$$






share|cite|improve this answer











$endgroup$



To see that the sequence of partial sums is Cauchy, you cannot use the triangle inequality directly as you did. A famous counter example here is $sum_k=1^inftyfrac(-1)^kk$.



What you can do is grouping the terms of the partial sums $s_n= sum_j=1^n(-1)^jx_j$ as follows:



  • Let $m = n+k, k,n in mathbbN$

Now, you can write $|s_m - s_n|$ in two different ways:



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-x_n+2i+1)| & k = 2i+1 \
|x_n+1 - (x_n+2-x_n+3) - cdots - (x_n+2i-2-x_n+2i-1) - x_2i| & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



$$|s_n+k - s_n| = begincases
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) + x_n+2i+1| & k = 2i+1 \
|(x_n+1 - x_n+2) + cdots + (x_n+2i-1-x_n+2i) | & k = 2i \
endcases
$$



Using the fact that $x_n searrow 0$, it follows immediately that for all $k in mathbbN$ holds
$$|s_n+k - s_n| leq x_n+1$$



Hence, for $epsilon > 0$ choose $N_epsilon$ such that $x_N_epsilon < epsilon$. Then, for all $m> n > N_epsilon$ you have
$$|s_m - s_n| leq x_n+1 leq x_N_epsilon < epsilon$$







share|cite|improve this answer














share|cite|improve this answer



share|cite|improve this answer








edited 39 mins ago

























answered 56 mins ago









trancelocationtrancelocation

14.6k1929




14.6k1929











  • $begingroup$
    This is exactly what I was about to do.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    55 mins ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @SubhasisBiswas So, I did it for you :-D
    $endgroup$
    – trancelocation
    54 mins ago
















  • $begingroup$
    This is exactly what I was about to do.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    55 mins ago






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @SubhasisBiswas So, I did it for you :-D
    $endgroup$
    – trancelocation
    54 mins ago















$begingroup$
This is exactly what I was about to do.
$endgroup$
– Subhasis Biswas
55 mins ago




$begingroup$
This is exactly what I was about to do.
$endgroup$
– Subhasis Biswas
55 mins ago




1




1




$begingroup$
@SubhasisBiswas So, I did it for you :-D
$endgroup$
– trancelocation
54 mins ago




$begingroup$
@SubhasisBiswas So, I did it for you :-D
$endgroup$
– trancelocation
54 mins ago











2












$begingroup$

This is also known as the "Leibnitz's Test".



We write $s_n = x_1-x_2+x_3-...+(-1)^n+1x_n$



$s_2n+2-s_2n=u_2n+1-u_2n+2 geq0$ for all $n$.



$s_2n+1-s_2n-1=-u_2n+u_2n+1 leq 0$



$s_2n =u_1 -(u_2-u_3)-(u_4-u_5)...-u_2n leq u_1$, i.e. a monotone increasing sequence bounded above.



$s_2n+1 =(u_1 -u_2)+(u_3-u_4)+...+u_2n+1 geq u_1-u_2$, i.e. a monotone decreasing sequence bounded below.



Hence, both are convergent subsequences of $(s_n)$. But, we have $lim (s_2n+1-s_2n)=u_2n+1=0$, therefore, they converge to the same limit.



Hence, $(s_n)$ converges, i.e. it is Cauchy.



Note: We conclude that $(s_n)$ converges because the indices of the two subsequences $(s_2n)$ and $(s_2n+1)$ i.e. $U = 2n+1 : n in mathbbN$ and $V = 2n : n in mathbbN$ form a partition of $mathbbN$ and they both converge to the same limit.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    I want to use the $varepsilon$ definition of a Cauchy sequence, and not the fact that all convergent sequences are Cauchy, which is why I cannot use this solution.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    59 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    I'll edit this answer.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    56 mins ago















2












$begingroup$

This is also known as the "Leibnitz's Test".



We write $s_n = x_1-x_2+x_3-...+(-1)^n+1x_n$



$s_2n+2-s_2n=u_2n+1-u_2n+2 geq0$ for all $n$.



$s_2n+1-s_2n-1=-u_2n+u_2n+1 leq 0$



$s_2n =u_1 -(u_2-u_3)-(u_4-u_5)...-u_2n leq u_1$, i.e. a monotone increasing sequence bounded above.



$s_2n+1 =(u_1 -u_2)+(u_3-u_4)+...+u_2n+1 geq u_1-u_2$, i.e. a monotone decreasing sequence bounded below.



Hence, both are convergent subsequences of $(s_n)$. But, we have $lim (s_2n+1-s_2n)=u_2n+1=0$, therefore, they converge to the same limit.



Hence, $(s_n)$ converges, i.e. it is Cauchy.



Note: We conclude that $(s_n)$ converges because the indices of the two subsequences $(s_2n)$ and $(s_2n+1)$ i.e. $U = 2n+1 : n in mathbbN$ and $V = 2n : n in mathbbN$ form a partition of $mathbbN$ and they both converge to the same limit.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$












  • $begingroup$
    I want to use the $varepsilon$ definition of a Cauchy sequence, and not the fact that all convergent sequences are Cauchy, which is why I cannot use this solution.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    59 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    I'll edit this answer.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    56 mins ago













2












2








2





$begingroup$

This is also known as the "Leibnitz's Test".



We write $s_n = x_1-x_2+x_3-...+(-1)^n+1x_n$



$s_2n+2-s_2n=u_2n+1-u_2n+2 geq0$ for all $n$.



$s_2n+1-s_2n-1=-u_2n+u_2n+1 leq 0$



$s_2n =u_1 -(u_2-u_3)-(u_4-u_5)...-u_2n leq u_1$, i.e. a monotone increasing sequence bounded above.



$s_2n+1 =(u_1 -u_2)+(u_3-u_4)+...+u_2n+1 geq u_1-u_2$, i.e. a monotone decreasing sequence bounded below.



Hence, both are convergent subsequences of $(s_n)$. But, we have $lim (s_2n+1-s_2n)=u_2n+1=0$, therefore, they converge to the same limit.



Hence, $(s_n)$ converges, i.e. it is Cauchy.



Note: We conclude that $(s_n)$ converges because the indices of the two subsequences $(s_2n)$ and $(s_2n+1)$ i.e. $U = 2n+1 : n in mathbbN$ and $V = 2n : n in mathbbN$ form a partition of $mathbbN$ and they both converge to the same limit.






share|cite|improve this answer









$endgroup$



This is also known as the "Leibnitz's Test".



We write $s_n = x_1-x_2+x_3-...+(-1)^n+1x_n$



$s_2n+2-s_2n=u_2n+1-u_2n+2 geq0$ for all $n$.



$s_2n+1-s_2n-1=-u_2n+u_2n+1 leq 0$



$s_2n =u_1 -(u_2-u_3)-(u_4-u_5)...-u_2n leq u_1$, i.e. a monotone increasing sequence bounded above.



$s_2n+1 =(u_1 -u_2)+(u_3-u_4)+...+u_2n+1 geq u_1-u_2$, i.e. a monotone decreasing sequence bounded below.



Hence, both are convergent subsequences of $(s_n)$. But, we have $lim (s_2n+1-s_2n)=u_2n+1=0$, therefore, they converge to the same limit.



Hence, $(s_n)$ converges, i.e. it is Cauchy.



Note: We conclude that $(s_n)$ converges because the indices of the two subsequences $(s_2n)$ and $(s_2n+1)$ i.e. $U = 2n+1 : n in mathbbN$ and $V = 2n : n in mathbbN$ form a partition of $mathbbN$ and they both converge to the same limit.







share|cite|improve this answer












share|cite|improve this answer



share|cite|improve this answer










answered 3 hours ago









Subhasis BiswasSubhasis Biswas

608512




608512











  • $begingroup$
    I want to use the $varepsilon$ definition of a Cauchy sequence, and not the fact that all convergent sequences are Cauchy, which is why I cannot use this solution.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    59 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    I'll edit this answer.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    56 mins ago
















  • $begingroup$
    I want to use the $varepsilon$ definition of a Cauchy sequence, and not the fact that all convergent sequences are Cauchy, which is why I cannot use this solution.
    $endgroup$
    – oranji
    59 mins ago










  • $begingroup$
    I'll edit this answer.
    $endgroup$
    – Subhasis Biswas
    56 mins ago















$begingroup$
I want to use the $varepsilon$ definition of a Cauchy sequence, and not the fact that all convergent sequences are Cauchy, which is why I cannot use this solution.
$endgroup$
– oranji
59 mins ago




$begingroup$
I want to use the $varepsilon$ definition of a Cauchy sequence, and not the fact that all convergent sequences are Cauchy, which is why I cannot use this solution.
$endgroup$
– oranji
59 mins ago












$begingroup$
I'll edit this answer.
$endgroup$
– Subhasis Biswas
56 mins ago




$begingroup$
I'll edit this answer.
$endgroup$
– Subhasis Biswas
56 mins ago

















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematics Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3201256%2fprove-the-alternating-sum-of-a-decreasing-sequence-converging-to-0-is-cauchy%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e