Are there legal definitions of ethnicities? The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are In Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)Legal definitions in the United StatesAre there truly legal limits on US interest rates?Are gender identity and sexual orientation federally protected?Why is there an apparent legal bias against digital services?What limits are there to the powers of individual judges in the United States legal system?Are women only scholarships legal under Irish / EU law?Is the term “race” defined by Public Law enacted by Congress of the United StatesIs there a legal definition of race in the US?Neighbors are spying for landlord on Renters is it legal?Are Protected Classes Bi-directional?

Why are Marketing Cloud timestamps not stored in the same timezone as Sales Cloud?

Keeping a retro style to sci-fi spaceships?

Can I visit the Trinity College (Cambridge) library and see some of their rare books

Would an alien lifeform be able to achieve space travel if lacking in vision?

How to design a circuit to convert 100 mV and 50 Hz Sine wave to square wave?

Identify 80s or 90s comics with ripped creatures (not dwarves)

Nested ellipses in tikzpicture: Chomsky hierarchy

Can a flute soloist sit?

Is it ethical to upload a automatically generated paper to a non peer-reviewed site as part of a larger research?

Circular reasoning in L'Hopital's rule

What aspect of planet earth must be changed to prevent the industrial revolution?

number sequence puzzle deep six

Can we generate random numbers using irrational numbers like π and e?

Word to describe a time interval

Accepted by European university, rejected by all American ones I applied to? Possible reasons?

"... to apply for a visa" or "... and applied for a visa"?

Define a list range inside a list

How to substitute curly brackets with round brackets in a grid of list

Is an up-to-date browser secure on an out-of-date OS?

ELI5: Why do they say that Israel would have been the fourth country to land a spacecraft on the Moon and why do they call it low cost?

How to read αἱμύλιος or when to aspirate

different output for groups and groups USERNAME after adding a username to a group

Simulating Exploding Dice

Do warforged have souls?



Are there legal definitions of ethnicities?



The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are In
Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)Legal definitions in the United StatesAre there truly legal limits on US interest rates?Are gender identity and sexual orientation federally protected?Why is there an apparent legal bias against digital services?What limits are there to the powers of individual judges in the United States legal system?Are women only scholarships legal under Irish / EU law?Is the term “race” defined by Public Law enacted by Congress of the United StatesIs there a legal definition of race in the US?Neighbors are spying for landlord on Renters is it legal?Are Protected Classes Bi-directional?










0















Note: I initially used the word "race" in the title of my question, changing to "ethnicity" afterwards because I am interested in the legal, and not biological aspect. When reading Wikipedia, however, I noticed that they are sometimes used interchangeably, and sometimes one after the other ("... the largest ethnic and racial group ...").



I recently came across several unrelated articles discussing Afro-American topics in the USA. The topics were various, but generally around positive/negative discrimination, oppression (real vs felt), etc.



The exact details were not important - the point is that they were around "we" (say - African-Americans) versus "them (say - Asians). The ethnicity does not matter.



I was wondering whether under US law (I am French and we do not have racial concepts which are legally relevant) there is a legal definition of "African American".



Could I, a white person with mostly European nordic ancestry (blond hair, blue eyed) claim to be "African American"? And be held liable for that because of [the definition I am asking about]?



Beside the academic aspect of the question, I was wondering how "ethnicity" is measured when there are possible tangible advantages (positive discrimination in universities comes to mind). The exact ethnicity does not matter (I took African American because of the articles I read but any will do - provided they are all equivalent, legally speaking), it is more about how legally any of them are separated from the others.










share|improve this question
























  • There was the case of a white teenager who moved from South Africa to the USA and became US citizen, whose school was very offended when he said that he was African American. Which in fact he was.

    – gnasher729
    6 mins ago















0















Note: I initially used the word "race" in the title of my question, changing to "ethnicity" afterwards because I am interested in the legal, and not biological aspect. When reading Wikipedia, however, I noticed that they are sometimes used interchangeably, and sometimes one after the other ("... the largest ethnic and racial group ...").



I recently came across several unrelated articles discussing Afro-American topics in the USA. The topics were various, but generally around positive/negative discrimination, oppression (real vs felt), etc.



The exact details were not important - the point is that they were around "we" (say - African-Americans) versus "them (say - Asians). The ethnicity does not matter.



I was wondering whether under US law (I am French and we do not have racial concepts which are legally relevant) there is a legal definition of "African American".



Could I, a white person with mostly European nordic ancestry (blond hair, blue eyed) claim to be "African American"? And be held liable for that because of [the definition I am asking about]?



Beside the academic aspect of the question, I was wondering how "ethnicity" is measured when there are possible tangible advantages (positive discrimination in universities comes to mind). The exact ethnicity does not matter (I took African American because of the articles I read but any will do - provided they are all equivalent, legally speaking), it is more about how legally any of them are separated from the others.










share|improve this question
























  • There was the case of a white teenager who moved from South Africa to the USA and became US citizen, whose school was very offended when he said that he was African American. Which in fact he was.

    – gnasher729
    6 mins ago













0












0








0








Note: I initially used the word "race" in the title of my question, changing to "ethnicity" afterwards because I am interested in the legal, and not biological aspect. When reading Wikipedia, however, I noticed that they are sometimes used interchangeably, and sometimes one after the other ("... the largest ethnic and racial group ...").



I recently came across several unrelated articles discussing Afro-American topics in the USA. The topics were various, but generally around positive/negative discrimination, oppression (real vs felt), etc.



The exact details were not important - the point is that they were around "we" (say - African-Americans) versus "them (say - Asians). The ethnicity does not matter.



I was wondering whether under US law (I am French and we do not have racial concepts which are legally relevant) there is a legal definition of "African American".



Could I, a white person with mostly European nordic ancestry (blond hair, blue eyed) claim to be "African American"? And be held liable for that because of [the definition I am asking about]?



Beside the academic aspect of the question, I was wondering how "ethnicity" is measured when there are possible tangible advantages (positive discrimination in universities comes to mind). The exact ethnicity does not matter (I took African American because of the articles I read but any will do - provided they are all equivalent, legally speaking), it is more about how legally any of them are separated from the others.










share|improve this question
















Note: I initially used the word "race" in the title of my question, changing to "ethnicity" afterwards because I am interested in the legal, and not biological aspect. When reading Wikipedia, however, I noticed that they are sometimes used interchangeably, and sometimes one after the other ("... the largest ethnic and racial group ...").



I recently came across several unrelated articles discussing Afro-American topics in the USA. The topics were various, but generally around positive/negative discrimination, oppression (real vs felt), etc.



The exact details were not important - the point is that they were around "we" (say - African-Americans) versus "them (say - Asians). The ethnicity does not matter.



I was wondering whether under US law (I am French and we do not have racial concepts which are legally relevant) there is a legal definition of "African American".



Could I, a white person with mostly European nordic ancestry (blond hair, blue eyed) claim to be "African American"? And be held liable for that because of [the definition I am asking about]?



Beside the academic aspect of the question, I was wondering how "ethnicity" is measured when there are possible tangible advantages (positive discrimination in universities comes to mind). The exact ethnicity does not matter (I took African American because of the articles I read but any will do - provided they are all equivalent, legally speaking), it is more about how legally any of them are separated from the others.







united-states discrimination






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 4 mins ago







WoJ

















asked 11 mins ago









WoJWoJ

377149




377149












  • There was the case of a white teenager who moved from South Africa to the USA and became US citizen, whose school was very offended when he said that he was African American. Which in fact he was.

    – gnasher729
    6 mins ago

















  • There was the case of a white teenager who moved from South Africa to the USA and became US citizen, whose school was very offended when he said that he was African American. Which in fact he was.

    – gnasher729
    6 mins ago
















There was the case of a white teenager who moved from South Africa to the USA and became US citizen, whose school was very offended when he said that he was African American. Which in fact he was.

– gnasher729
6 mins ago





There was the case of a white teenager who moved from South Africa to the USA and became US citizen, whose school was very offended when he said that he was African American. Which in fact he was.

– gnasher729
6 mins ago










0






active

oldest

votes












Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "617"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flaw.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f39064%2fare-there-legal-definitions-of-ethnicities%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Law Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flaw.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f39064%2fare-there-legal-definitions-of-ethnicities%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e