Contract requiring the signing of a statement that may not be true when signedAm I obligated to sign contracts and fill out paperwork post termination?Dual Employment for At-Will EmploymentCan I tell my ex-colleague about job offers at my new company after signing an anti-solicitation clauseAm I entitled to a contracted payoff when my company terminated my contract?If employment contract supercedes all previous agreements, does that include un-included parts of offer letter?Who owns the intellectual property that I complete outside of work?Is litigation against one's employer protected?US laws of firing an employeeSigned non-compete, no mention of one in offer letter (MN). Is it still enforceable?Employee Handbook conflicts with State Law, Which Supersedes Which?

What does the "3am" section means in manpages?

Books on the History of math research at European universities

Can the electrostatic force be infinite in magnitude?

Giant Toughroad SLR 2 for 200 miles in two days, will it make it?

Can the harmonic series explain the origin of the major scale?

What is the opposite of 'gravitas'?

Java - What do constructor type arguments mean when placed *before* the type?

Is there a problem with hiding "forgot password" until it's needed?

How do ultrasonic sensors differentiate between transmitted and received signals?

How to deal with or prevent idle in the test team?

Resetting two CD4017 counters simultaneously, only one resets

I'm in charge of equipment buying but no one's ever happy with what I choose. How to fix this?

Who must act to prevent Brexit on March 29th?

What if somebody invests in my application?

Adding empty element to declared container without declaring type of element

What do you call the infoboxes with text and sometimes images on the side of a page we find in textbooks?

"lassen" in meaning "sich fassen"

Why are all the doors on Ferenginar (the Ferengi home world) far shorter than the average Ferengi?

No idea how to draw this using tikz

Do all polymers contain either carbon or silicon?

Can I use my Chinese passport to enter China after I acquired another citizenship?

Was the picture area of a CRT a parallelogram (instead of a true rectangle)?

Superhero words!

Partial sums of primes



Contract requiring the signing of a statement that may not be true when signed


Am I obligated to sign contracts and fill out paperwork post termination?Dual Employment for At-Will EmploymentCan I tell my ex-colleague about job offers at my new company after signing an anti-solicitation clauseAm I entitled to a contracted payoff when my company terminated my contract?If employment contract supercedes all previous agreements, does that include un-included parts of offer letter?Who owns the intellectual property that I complete outside of work?Is litigation against one's employer protected?US laws of firing an employeeSigned non-compete, no mention of one in offer letter (MN). Is it still enforceable?Employee Handbook conflicts with State Law, Which Supersedes Which?













0















I found an employment contract, in which the employee promises, upon termination of employment, to sign a "Termination Certification" and present it to the employer. The text of the certification is attached to the contract as an exhibit.



The termination certification contains assertions, ostensibly made by the employee, about the state of the world: things along the lines of "I certify that I have complied with the agreement to disclose all relevant inventions to the company", and "I certify that I do not currently possess and did not fail to return any company-issued computers or devices".



It seems to me that it is possible that, upon termination of employment, some of these statements the employee is supposed to certify might not be true. For example, if the employee is fired for losing a company laptop, they obviously will have failed to return a company-issued computer, yet they will have an obligation, from their employment contract, to sign a statement saying that this is not the case.



Does this amount to the employer potentially paying the employee to lie to them, to no ultimate legal effect? Or will the employee have a problem if they end up with an obligation to sign a statement that is not in agreement with reality?









share


























    0















    I found an employment contract, in which the employee promises, upon termination of employment, to sign a "Termination Certification" and present it to the employer. The text of the certification is attached to the contract as an exhibit.



    The termination certification contains assertions, ostensibly made by the employee, about the state of the world: things along the lines of "I certify that I have complied with the agreement to disclose all relevant inventions to the company", and "I certify that I do not currently possess and did not fail to return any company-issued computers or devices".



    It seems to me that it is possible that, upon termination of employment, some of these statements the employee is supposed to certify might not be true. For example, if the employee is fired for losing a company laptop, they obviously will have failed to return a company-issued computer, yet they will have an obligation, from their employment contract, to sign a statement saying that this is not the case.



    Does this amount to the employer potentially paying the employee to lie to them, to no ultimate legal effect? Or will the employee have a problem if they end up with an obligation to sign a statement that is not in agreement with reality?









    share
























      0












      0








      0








      I found an employment contract, in which the employee promises, upon termination of employment, to sign a "Termination Certification" and present it to the employer. The text of the certification is attached to the contract as an exhibit.



      The termination certification contains assertions, ostensibly made by the employee, about the state of the world: things along the lines of "I certify that I have complied with the agreement to disclose all relevant inventions to the company", and "I certify that I do not currently possess and did not fail to return any company-issued computers or devices".



      It seems to me that it is possible that, upon termination of employment, some of these statements the employee is supposed to certify might not be true. For example, if the employee is fired for losing a company laptop, they obviously will have failed to return a company-issued computer, yet they will have an obligation, from their employment contract, to sign a statement saying that this is not the case.



      Does this amount to the employer potentially paying the employee to lie to them, to no ultimate legal effect? Or will the employee have a problem if they end up with an obligation to sign a statement that is not in agreement with reality?









      share














      I found an employment contract, in which the employee promises, upon termination of employment, to sign a "Termination Certification" and present it to the employer. The text of the certification is attached to the contract as an exhibit.



      The termination certification contains assertions, ostensibly made by the employee, about the state of the world: things along the lines of "I certify that I have complied with the agreement to disclose all relevant inventions to the company", and "I certify that I do not currently possess and did not fail to return any company-issued computers or devices".



      It seems to me that it is possible that, upon termination of employment, some of these statements the employee is supposed to certify might not be true. For example, if the employee is fired for losing a company laptop, they obviously will have failed to return a company-issued computer, yet they will have an obligation, from their employment contract, to sign a statement saying that this is not the case.



      Does this amount to the employer potentially paying the employee to lie to them, to no ultimate legal effect? Or will the employee have a problem if they end up with an obligation to sign a statement that is not in agreement with reality?







      united-states contract employment california





      share












      share










      share



      share










      asked 8 mins ago









      interfectinterfect

      1454




      1454




















          0






          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer








          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "617"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: false,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: null,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          noCode: true, onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flaw.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f38443%2fcontract-requiring-the-signing-of-a-statement-that-may-not-be-true-when-signed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          0






          active

          oldest

          votes








          0






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Law Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2flaw.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f38443%2fcontract-requiring-the-signing-of-a-statement-that-may-not-be-true-when-signed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Which organization defines CJK Unified Ideographs? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCharacters which have several different shapesHow useful are the kanji in reading Chinese?Can Chinese readers scan large amounts of text faster/more accurately than their alphabet-using counterparts?丼: why is “well” also “bowl of food”?What Does Unicode 8.0 Mean For Chinese?How are blanks indicated for placeholders in Chinese (like ???)Is there a dictionary of standard character variants?How to display CJK Extension F?How is it decided as to which character is used on the tech terminology?How does 子 come to mean 'midnight'?

          Shenzhen Football Club Índice Elenco atual | Títulos | Referências Ligações externas | Menu de navegaçãoGooglenotíciaslivrosacadêmicoeditar«"Elenco"»Site oficialexpandindo-oeee

          When We Were Young (canção de Adele) Índice Antecedentes e lançamento | Faixas e formatos | Performances e covers | Desempenho nas tabelas musicais | Créditos | Histórico de lançamento | Referências Menu de navegação«Best albums of 2015»«Adele - When We Were Young (Radio Date: 22-01-2016)»«When We Were Young - Single by Adele»«Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return»«adele interview: world exclusive first interview in three years»«Tobias Jesso Jr: since Adele tweeted his song, he's even bigger than his dad»«Adele interviews Tobias Jesso Jr: 'I think that a couple of the ideas we had could be rap songs'»«Adele on Her Return: 'I Was So Frightened That No One Cared'»«Tobias Jesso Jr. on working with Adele: 'I was as nervous as shit'»«How Ariel Rechtshaid Pushed Adele To Her Limit»«Adele Previews 'When We Were Young' on '60 Minutes' Teaser, Tops Trending 140»«Adele Performs New '25' Ballad, "When We Were Young" Live: Watch»«Which '25' Song Should Be Adele's Next Single?»«Adele's 'When We Were Young' Confirmed As Second Single From '25'»«Adele's new single artwork for 'When We Were Young' is perfectly adorable»«Adele at the BBC review: honest, funny and spectacular – Celebrity News News»«'Saturday Night Live': Adele Sings 'Hello' and 'When We Were Young'»«'Adele: Live in New York City' NBC Special – Set List Revealed!»«Adele Closes Out the 2016 Brit Awards With 'When We Were Young'»«What Is The Adele Live Tour Set List? There's No Way She'd Leave Out These 8 Songs»«See Demi Lovato's Soaring Cover of Adele's 'When We Were Young'»«'The Voice': 5 Best Moments From Week 1 Blind Auditions»«Adele – When We Were Young (Media Control Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Entertainment Monitoring Africa)»«Adele – When We Were Young (ARIA Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ö3 Austria Top 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 50)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Ultratop 40)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Canadian Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Tracklisten)»«Adele – When We Were Young (The Official Charts Company)»«Adele – Hello (IFPI Slovenská Republika)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Productores de Música de España)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Billboard Hot 100)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Adult Pop Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Adult Contemporary Charts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Hot Dance Club Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Rock Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (IFPI Finlândia)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Syndicat National de l'Éditon Phonographique)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Irish Recorded Music Association)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Mexico Airplay)»«Adele – When We Were Young (VG-lista)»«Adele – When We Were Young (NZ Top 40 Singles)»«Adele – When We Were Young (MegaCharts)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Związek Producentów Audio Video)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Indie Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (UK Singles Chart)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Sverigetopplistan)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Schweizer Hitparade)»«Adele – When We Were Young (Portugal Digital Songs)»«Music Canada – Gold/Platinum – When We Were Young»«NZ Top 40 Singles Chart»«Certified Awards»e